IW STi Forum banner

261 - 280 of 992 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #262 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

You are WAY over-stressing about all of this. Clean up what you can and put it back together. If the motor is healthy, run it. The car/motor has 30k miles on it... What are you going to replace/freshen up? The most you'll do is break more shit to fix a perfectly running motor.
Agreed. Plug the intake runners, and clean up what you can reach.
Thanks for your advice guys. I just figured, I'm this far so take the opportunity to do things right. I don't feel that I would break anything, I'm aware of what I can and can't do, I just thought it made sense to do a few nagging things at this stage. Sending the motor off was just something I had thought of recently.

I at least want to disconnect the turbo and check it out. But I really would like to get a Stage 1 clutch/flywheel done or at least check it out at the same time.

As far as freshening up goes, my mind directly went to valve cover/head gaskets at least, just to get ahead of that problem, as well as timing belt.

I've seen those plastic intake port covers before that you can pop in and they are specifically molded to fit in the ports; Jason, did you use those during your build or know where to get those? I feel like that may be a Subaru mechanic tool though...I currently have the ports masked off with a couple layers of duct tape, just to be clear. They are not exposed at the moment.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

You don't really need to worry about the head gaskets in my opinion, and that's coming from the guy with the build that started because I was pushing coolant haha. If you were to pull the engine there's no reason to go through it and only use stock parts. Either build it or leave it alone. Seal up those intake posts as others have suggested and spend some quality time with a spray bottle, some simple green, an old toothbrush and call it good.

I just stuff a few blue shop towels in my intake ports when I have my intake off. Put some good quality duct tape over them if you're really worried.

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts

Thanks for your advice guys. I just figured, I'm this far so take the opportunity to do things right. I don't feel that I would break anything, I'm aware of what I can and can't do, I just thought it made sense to do a few nagging things at this stage. Sending the motor off was just something I had thought of recently.
Seriously, you're not far into it. It doesn't matter if you feel like you won't break anything... If bolts are corroded and stuck, they'll break or strip out threads and judging by what you've already had issues with and the top of that motor, you'll break more things and turn this into a huge hassle for a "stage 2" car with E85.

Where exactly would you send the motor off to? If you ever went that far to keep a stock bottom end, I would tell you to buy a brand new OEM short block and swap that in and then sell your current block, but I won't even recommend that as your motor runs just fine and has 30k miles.

I at least want to disconnect the turbo and check it out. But I really would like to get a Stage 1 clutch/flywheel done or at least check it out at the same time.
What exactly are you going to check out on the turbo? If the clutch needs replaced, it needs replaced. I would recommend looking at something more. A South Bend stage 3 daily drives and feels like a stock clutch and holds a good bit more power. I would also recommend resurfacing the old flywheel and reusing it.

As far as freshening up goes, my mind directly went to valve cover/head gaskets at least, just to get ahead of that problem, as well as timing belt.
Your car has 30k miles!!!!!!

I've seen those plastic intake port covers before that you can pop in and they are specifically molded to fit in the ports; Jason, did you use those during your build or know where to get those? I feel like that may be a Subaru mechanic tool though...
I don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #265

Ah thanks Kyle. Yes, I do have a couple layers of duct tape covering the ports. I suppose I will have to get real personal and clean it by hand the old-fashioned way.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

I think you were talking about valve cover gaskets? Any signs of them leaking? I think you can check the turbo for shaft play as you have it right now, but I've never done it myself.

I suppose you could take the timing belt covers off, and make sure the pulleys look and feel fine. What's the interval, 90,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I think you were talking about valve cover gaskets? Any signs of them leaking? I think you can check the turbo for shaft play as you have it right now, but I've never done it myself.

I suppose you could take the timing belt covers off, and make sure the pulleys look and feel fine. What's the interval, 90,000 miles?
105,000 per the FSM. Rubber does deteriorate with time, so a quick belt inspection just to make sure it looks good would be wise since it's so easy to pull the timing cover and look. Replacing the belt itself may not be a terrible idea, I wouldn't worry about the pulleys, tensioner and water pump though, with the low miles those have plenty of life left in them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #268 (Edited)

Apologies everyone(and for the upcoming wall of text), I'm really not trying to be difficult or obtuse, I'm just trying to be forward-thinking with things to address while I have it taken apart this far, aside from what I set out to do originally. It's just part of the fact that I'm too cautious/anal/obsessive about things like this. I just want to make sure I cover all angles and that I don't forget anything important, that's all.

You don't really need to worry about the head gaskets in my opinion, and that's coming from the guy with the build that started because I was pushing coolant haha. If you were to pull the engine there's no reason to go through it and only use stock parts. Either build it or leave it alone. Seal up those intake posts as others have suggested and spend some quality time with a spray bottle, some simple green, an old toothbrush and call it good.

I just stuff a few blue shop towels in my intake ports when I have my intake off. Put some good quality duct tape over them if you're really worried.
Kyle, I know where you're coming from and I realize that most everyone thinks that doing all that for a non-forged build may not make sense, but I thought maybe there could be improvements made with refreshed or new OEM parts. Depending on costs and going over it in my head, I was thinking maybe it would be a wise choice to go ahead and build the motor. But I'll go with everyone's advice for now it seems.

Seriously, you're not far into it. It doesn't matter if you feel like you won't break anything... If bolts are corroded and stuck, they'll break or strip out threads and judging by what you've already had issues with and the top of that motor, you'll break more things and turn this into a huge hassle for a "stage 2" car with E85.

Where exactly would you send the motor off to? If you ever went that far to keep a stock bottom end, I would tell you to buy a brand new OEM short block and swap that in and then sell your current block, but I won't even recommend that as your motor runs just fine and has 30k miles.

What exactly are you going to check out on the turbo? If the clutch needs replaced, it needs replaced. I would recommend looking at something more. A South Bend stage 3 daily drives and feels like a stock clutch and holds a good bit more power. I would also recommend resurfacing the old flywheel and reusing it.

Your car has 30k miles!!!!!!

I don't know what you're talking about.
Jason, relatively speaking no I am not that far along as it seems to me with my limited experience and what I've gained so far, but again I was just trying to be forward-thinking. I will continue along with what I originally planned, however I will be adding an AOS to this list as well. I realize that you have been around the block much more than I have, but I was going to chalk this up to more learning; I guess I didn't see it as a hassle yet. Generally speaking, I was concerned with the state the motor looks on the outside; I mean, that may be an indicator that the internals are less than ideal as well. I mean I've never had any diagnostics done on it other than what the I had the dealer do before getting it, and they didn't give me any numbers.

I would've called/emailed around to shops, done some research and gotten opinions/advice from said shops as well to see what they could do or not do. I figured since they are shops and not my humble garage, that maybe they could add some insight. But yes, the route you took with the new OEM block and selling the old one is a great option too. I just would've thought trying to save/refresh what I have currently could work as well.

As far as the turbo, like camel said, I wanted to remove the turbo to check for shaft play, corrosion, clogs, etc. Maybe get the hot side coated as well? Heat is a big issue as you know. As far as the clutch, last couple times I drove it, the clutch slipped from basic load; that's not promising. I know you and others have said good things about SouthBend clutches; I will look into them for sure. Correct me if I'm wrong though, replacing a clutch/flywheel requires separation from the trans(of course), but as well as hoisting it away or pulling it entirely, no? With the flywheel...yes, I would be having that refurbished/resurfaced instead of going with a lightweight aftermarket one.

I distinctly remember seeing pics/videos of motors serviced by Subaru mechanics with these plastic or rubber plugs that fit into the intake ports on the heads. They looked really handy so as to prevent things from falling down in there. I tried doing a quick Google search for them, but I could not find anything. My bad, just thought you came across these.

105,000 per the FSM. Rubber does deteriorate with time, so a quick belt inspection just to make sure it looks good would be wise since it's so easy to pull the timing cover and look. Replacing the belt itself may not be a terrible idea, I wouldn't worry about the pulleys, tensioner and water pump though, with the low miles those have plenty of life left in them.
camel/Kyle, yeah I was concerned about those gaskets of course, but inititally I did not see any leaks, but then again, I wasn't looking as close as possible. I will recheck tonight. Yes, I wanted to check for the usual issues with the turbo. You confirmed my thought that the service interval was somewhere around there and given that I'm at roughly 1/3 of that mileage, but Kyle you're right rubber deteriorates with time and I'm pretty certain that wasn't replaced before I got a hold of it. It's just something that's always been at the back of my mind and now that I have the chance to do certain servicing, I wanted to take the opportunity and do it all now.

Thanks for your time guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts

My opinion, leave the turbo on. You can check for shafts play in its current disassembly and if you had blockage, you'd already know. If anything, remove the filter in the banjo bolt attached to the head. The hot side and center cartridge will have rust... Not much way around it unless you disassemble and have it all coated (save that for a bigger turbo).

As for heat, I'd just get a good turbo blanket and not put any other money into a stock turbo.

Yes, the trans and engine have to be separated to remove the clutch. I'd personally remove the transmission vs the engine.

For covering the ports, I use towels in the ports of tape. It's really nothing special, but you gotta keep things from dropping into the ports.

Personally, I think you're stressing way too much. Unless you're looking to build a stock turbo show car, I'd say clean what you can and get it back together with minimal money invested aside from go fast parts. Eventually, you'll wish you saved more money initially when you decide to upgrade everything.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

My opinion, leave the turbo on. You can check for shafts play in its current disassembly and if you had blockage, you'd already know. If anything, remove the filter in the banjo bolt attached to the head. The hot side and center cartridge will have rust... Not much way around it unless you disassemble and have it all coated (save that for a bigger turbo).

As for heat, I'd just get a good turbo blanket and not put any other money into a stock turbo.

Yes, the trans and engine have to be separated to remove the clutch. I'd personally remove the transmission vs the engine.

For covering the ports, I use towels in the ports of tape. It's really nothing special, but you gotta keep things from dropping into the ports.

Personally, I think you're stressing way too much. Unless you're looking to build a stock turbo show car, I'd say clean what you can and get it back together with minimal money invested aside from go fast parts. Eventually, you'll wish you saved more money initially when you decide to upgrade everything.
All good advice, but the last part is key. spend the money on upgrading, not replacing stock parts that aren't bad!

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Wow........that is all.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #272 (Edited)

Up front again, thanks for the advice guys. I am over certain plans and have put them out of mind, thanks to the deliberation here.

I must say though, due to the tone of some responses, there may be some confusion about where my head is on this. I'm not over here shaking in my boots about this or anything; I realize this isn't life or death, though my car is important to me. I know things will get sorted out, that much is true, I was just going over options in my head and using this journal as an outlet to get feedback and such. I'm only using this space to explain myself.

I was never going to just replace perfectly working parts with new ones for the sake of spending money or peace of mind, but rather, with the engine send-off comment, I would have someone inspect the motor and clean/refurbish/replace whatever was recommended or needed. I wouldn't be like "Eh sure just replace the pistons even though they look and work fine! I don't care!" That's not at all where my mind was on this. I only thought about letting professionals get their hands on it because there are things I can't do(due to lack of knowledge/tools/resources) on my own in my garage. But I realize this is not necessary at this stage.

I am not stressing or worrying or freaking out, I assure you. I just tend to overthink big things is all, but I can see how that can be misconstrued. I am not mad or upset or anything, simply just attempting to clear things up.

To clear up another thing and make myself not sound like an idiot, I'm going to explain this part of my last post:

Correct me if I'm wrong though, replacing a clutch/flywheel requires separation from the trans(of course), but as well as hoisting it away or pulling it entirely, no?
What I was trying to say with that was this: since I have motor mounts that are waiting to go on, and the recent and more frequently-occurring clutch slippage(which has been occurring over the past couple years) have made me start to consider replacing it more than before, it then follows that the motor and trans need to be, at the least separated(which is something that I'm obviously aware of and why in my quote above you'll notice I said "of course") to install a clutch and the motor raised slightly for the GrpN mounts. Those are two key details because...

...by that point, that's pretty much having the motor pulled, except for some connections to breather lines and the oil/cooling lines to the turbo. But I was being told not to pull the motor; it just seemed a little contradictory at first, that's all. You can see where I'm coming from, right?

Jason, your previous post is sound. Anyways, this has all been helpful, really; thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #273

Also forgot to say, my intentions were well-meaning with the above post. I reread it and I can see how it may come off as arrogant or finger-pointing. I was only trying to get on the same page and clear the air. I do not want anyone to be turned off to helping, advising or coming back to my journal. I welcome criticism and advice, I just want to make my thought process known by everyone following, that's all. I just want things to be objective and pleasant around here; I very much enjoy talking with you all.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #274

So last night begins the long arduous process of cleaning things up a bit before they go back on. Below is a pic showing the result after just using Zep Industrial Purple. I have only addressed the passenger side block half:

I am going to try using Simple Green as well, but it is coming along, albeit slowly. If you'll notice a bit of a kludge there on the block's coolant inlets, can you guess what those are? I'll tell you....they're the rubber covers that go over the windshield wiper motor nuts. I was trying a couple different ways to cover the inlets that weren't working very well, looked up at the wipers and noticed the covers were roughly the same size. So I took them off and popped them on and they fit....weird?!

Just to note, while my car is stamped 04/04 and the VIN is well after the TSB from Subaru that was cautioning the AVCS and turbo oil feed line screens, I found no screen on the passenger side AVCS banjo bolt. I did not look at the driver's side since I assume it's not there. I have not looked at the turbo banjo bolt yet.

I'm going to be ordering some replacement parts here shortly for bolts and whatnot. Fun times.

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts

What bolt did you pull for the AVCS on the driver's side. I am guessing you looked at the wrong one like I initially did. I found the bolts in mine and my car was made well after yours.

For cleaning, you could always go at it with a Power Cone and aluminum polish. :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #276

I removed the bolt in the solenoid/sensor housing in the lower left of the pic; the hardline that goes from the top of the head to the back of the block. I only did the passenger side, not the driver's side. Wrong one?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #278 (Edited)

D'oh! Figures....I'll have to get at the passenger side and the turbo screen when I get back under there to take a crack at the exhaust/uppipe again. I'll try for the driver's side tonight.

And related, still haven't seen my shorter ramps show up at my door. Delays....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Looks like good progress! If you're feeling spicy you can go at that corrosion with a brass wire brush or a scotchbrite pad (that's what I did to clean up my block which I should have opted to have soda blasted).

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts

D'oh! Figures....I'll have to get at the passenger side and the turbo screen when I get back under there to take a crack at the exhaust/uppipe again. I'll try for the driver's side tonight.

And related, still haven't seen my shorter ramps show up at my door. Delays....
The passenger side and turbo screen will be one in the same, IIRC (one on the head).

261 - 280 of 992 Posts