IW STi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **back on the road!**

Received the SuperPro RCA kit yesterday. Initial impressions are that these are really well-made and of good quality. The boots covering the "DuroBall" are on there quite firmly and the retainer rings are quite snug. The metals are zinc coated as well to resist the elements(not that I have to worry about that though :)).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **back on the road!.....sort of, but with pics!**

So hello there people, this past weekend I was able to embark on one of my motorsports life goals: I went to the Pikes Peak Rally! Well what can I say? It was pretty damn awesome and I'm not sure why I waited so long to go. I guess I never really had any friends who were excited about motorsport like I am. We taped up his '11 STi the night before:

It would've completely held up great if we hadn't run into a downpour along the way. :(
Even then, it still caught a lot of bugs and sandy bits.

While I was too busy and exhausted to really take any pics of the rally, I did get a few of the FanFest(which I was also too distracted to get more of). Those are below. I can say that I was fortunate enough to talk to Kenji Sumino, president of GReddy USA and Tony Kwan of Evasive Motorsports about Ken Gushi's(yes I got to say hello to Ken, he was busy!!!!!) Pike's Peak/Formula D FR-S/GT-86 and got up close and personal with the car!! It was a very interesting and informative conversation to say the least. Again, I was too distracted to get any pics of his car as well.

But here are some I got:

Hawk Performance GT-R (had issues later on it's raceday run)

Dat wing doe.

SCR Performance Radical RXC - it's an N/A Ford Duratec 3.7L putting out about 390hp in a car that weighs ~1900lbs. Nuts!

D-Zug Produkte Porsche 935

Dem turbos...(crew wasn't around to talk about the car, dangit)

Rising Sun's sidecar entry

And of course Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima's record-setting E-Runner!
Seriously, like nine Go-Pros on this thing. Helps when you're sponsored by them! :D

And on to my car....well, I went to my friend's house yesterday to pick up my cooler aaaand I threw a CEL code, just out of nowhere. Cruise light blinking this time too, but not limp mode. I stayed off boost of course and went straight home after, not wanting to risk it. I'm going to wait til I work with Jason to really drive it. That or get an AP or talk to some mechanic friends who can get OBDII readers.

Got a KSTech 73mm CAI as well.

I know you guys know what cleared headlights look like, but I'm gonna post a pic anyway:

Not the best quality, but I'll get another up in a future update.

Kicked my ass for the few days before going to Colorado cleaning up the car for the year and doing some minor correction(though I didn't completely need to) between juggling my life stuff and recently found out I will be getting the promotion at my job that I've worked so hard for, Systems Administrator! It will be challenging and rewarding for sure!

Ahhhh, like glass. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #203

Hello again people. Recently took delivery of my Fortune Auto setup and all is well and good, everything looks to be in order. Can't wait to get 'em on the car!

Also got a Koyorad aluminum radiator on sale from RSD's 4th of July sale with a Koyorad 1.3bar cap. Received it today!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #205

Just saw the CEL comment. I took Monday off if you want to bring the car by.
Hey man! I actually got the code cleared by a buddy who had a reader a couple days ago, it was that evap code again, I think 4057 or something. I'll still drive down if you wanna chat, just let me know.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)

So finally decided to stop holding out on the AFR I wanted, so now all gauges done(for now). I'm well aware of the adage in this hobby that is "pay to play", but gatdamn it was a chunk of change for just one gauge.

It's the AutoMeter ES series digital AFR. Very basic looking I know, but I like the simple and understated thing. Matches the other two I have waiting to go in anyway.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #207

Let's see.....

Re-ordered a Tomei downpipe, even though RSD won't be shipping 'til the end of the month. It's been too long as it is but Tomei is terrible at supplying stock from what I'm told by industry guys.

Placed an order for GrimmSpeed PnP'd OEM manifolds with an EGT tap, since I may decide to go with an EGT gauge in the future. I figured I'll just plug it 'til then. The package I ordered includes a Hi-Flow crosspipe as well. Will have the necessary gaskets coming along with it. Once I take delivery of those as well as a GrimmSpeed EWG uppipe in a few weeks' time, they will be sent to SwainTech.

Also am buying a new Cusco 22mm rear sway from a member over on NASIOC for a real good price.

Got my JPM shift boot installed after finally finding a retainer ring for a fair price.

Exciting times.....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #208

Recently sent all the exhaust components on-hand and had Cygnus Performance send my EWG UP directly to get coated at SwainTech. Will be keeping in touch with them regularly since I've heard they like to take their time with work.

Would've liked to get a DP and turbo components to them, but the ETA on that DP is preventing that. Need to now think about an AOS solution and plan for a possible oil cooling loop. I was thinking of Crawford or AMW for the oil catching and a Setrab core with a sandwich plate/necessary hoses for the loop.

Any ideas from anyone?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

So, this time a pretty important update at this point....I finally got around to ordering the last round of mods for my car! If you check the mod list, you'll see a looooot of that red finally changed to orange! So many parts inbound, its like goddamned Christmas morning! Ooooof, what an expensive day it's been though.... :/

I was also told that Tomei is no longer making downpipes for the GD, so the last batch coming in next week to RSD are the last new ones I guess; glad I held out!

I'm really excited to start work on real upgrades on the car and learn the process as much as I can from someone whom I respect and trust. Any guesses who that might be?!?! I hope to document the process with pictures and descriptions as much as possible, drive the car before the end of the season(coming up fast, don't remind me, ugggghhh) and see how it feels. Then, provide parts reviews up the wahzoo...

I will take some before/after videos of the necessary components between stock and aftermarket in order for that information to be out there, even though most of the world has moved on to the newer chassis. Can't hurt, right? Kinda sick of the lack of info on certain things. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough? Eh, I don't know, but I hope to change that with my contributions.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #210

It's been a while since I logged in, damn. I will update tonight with some photos of the SwainTech job and some other parts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #212

Haha, nice gif Jay!

Thanks for driving by! Saw your posts on the journal recently, sucks that you're feeling old again....:\ I dread that for myself.....alas, it's inevitable though.

Finally got my downpipe last week, I know I keep saying it, but I will try to get some pics up tonight.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #213 (Edited)

Alrighty, here are some pics. The first is the pile of parts that are going on the car. Yes, all those boxes. Whew, that's a lot at once! Okay okay, more than I'm used to at least....some of you with fatter wallets have seen more I'm sure! :D

"Okay doctor, what exactly are we dealing with here?!"

GASP! What could that be?? Why, a downpipe of course!(Finally.) It's Tomei's Version 2 for the GD, since they no longer make a one-piece pipe. It will still function the same though.

It really is a beautiful piece, the welds are spot-on and clean.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

That sure is a purty bellmouth.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #216

Isn't it? Shame though, that over time that finish will tarnish, however it'll be cool to see the effects of heat on it. Maybe I'll get it coated eventually, who knows. It would probably make sense to do so since a lot of heat bleeds off that area. Although sense is also telling me it'd be easier before putting it on the car.... :|

·
Registered
899 Posts

Envy that Parts Picture :cool::tup:

The coated headers & uppipe also look pretty!

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

Isn't it? Shame though, that over time that finish will tarnish, however it'll be cool to see the effects of heat on it. Maybe I'll get it coated eventually, who knows. It would probably make sense to do so since a lot of heat bleeds off that area. Although sense is also telling me it'd be easier before putting it on the car.... :|
It'll yellow. If you want to keep it looking nice, spray ceramic paint over it in several coats.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #219

^^Thanks, yes they do.

^I may do that; some of that VHT Flame Proof you showed me?

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

That is what I used. It has a unique smell every time it warms up after starting the car, but then it goes away quickly.

I left the SwainTech parts on my STi alone, however, here is what my S2000 header with SwainTech and then with the spray ceramic over the SwainTech. Of the parts on the STi, the header has had more color change than the turbo hot side.

201 - 220 of 988 Posts