IW STi Forum banner

981 - 995 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just read your UOA

What filter are you using again?

Due to your high silicon, I bet you had a particle streak in your bearings to cause that much lead. You need to lock down where the silicon is being ingested from.

likely the filter.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
Thanks for the tip, I was already thinking about 300v.

If you mean oil filter, I am using a Wix filter. It's one of the few readily available ones that has the bypass pressure needed.

If you mean air filter like they are talking about, I'm using an Airaid filter on my CAI in the fender.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No i meant your air intake filter

how many miles are on it? are you sure its sealed well?

I say this, because if so, that filter sucks at filtering. your UOA have trended stupid high silicon and if you dont have a leak somewhere, then you need a better filter.

since you have the kstech 73mm like I do, get an Amsoil filter. I can get you a good deal on it.

My last UOA showed 13 ppm silicon content and I have an oil leak.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #985
2k miles but yeah, you're right on that. I'm pretty sure I have it sealed nice and tight, but please point me to which one you have and I'll give it a shot.

Jason, that's true yes. But which oil filter are you running? I am using a Wix 57712.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #987
Ordered some 5W-40 300V today and will change over to that once I get back from Denver and also attach a new filter to the CAI as well that I'll be getting from Kevin this week. We'll see if that changes anything in 500 miles or so. I'm going to stick with the Wix filter for now as I don't want to change too many variables so that I can see what may be the culprit. I was thinking about 10W-40, but we'll see what the oil pressures look like with this 300V first.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
Hello everyone...guess it's been a while. The car is roughly the same as it was at my last update, but with some changes:
  • I've rerouted the AOS drainback(which now I feel better about) because as it turns out, I was right; there was a small amount of milky oil pooling at the low spot in the drain line, so I was able to get that out and routed it through the hole in the intercooler support bracket
  • Switched to Motul 300V and fitted the AMSoil air filter and started putting miles on it until August(more on that in a sec). Car continued to have good pressure throughout
  • Had the roof wrapped in matte carbon fiber, looks very nice
  • Had the entire car professionally paint corrected and ceramic coated
  • After a lot of time back and forth with the body shop(they took WAY too long but finally did it right), finally got the trunk lid painted and mounted the S203 wing and then pretty much immediately put it in storage in November. But I must say the paint match is practically perfect, see for yourself:

With the S203 wing on, the car looks....more mature? I don't know, maybe that's just me. Looks lower too. If you look closely at some of the pics, you can see the 1/8" rubber gaskets I cut to put in between the trunk and wing feet, which prevents rubbing and water from getting into the trunk holes. Believe it or not, S203s didn't come with gaskets like these from the factory and there was a "TSB recall" back in the day for gaskets to be installed as owners were of course reporting issues with the metal feet rubbing into the trunk and paint coming off as a result. I find that odd they hadn't though of that ahead of time.

I said I'd elaborate on the August thing.....which leads me to my main reason for the lapse in time. I wish I was updating this with better news but I had something major happen in my life back in August of last year which is the main reason I haven't updated here. Along with that, I've regretfully made the tough decision to move on and sell the car as it has now associated memories I'd like to forget about. The car doesn't make me happy; I'm happy with the car as it sits and its speed and what I've done with it, but not happy for certain reasons. If I don't find a buyer for a while, I may just end up keeping it and making it faster with a larger turbo and the supporting parts. It's still somewhat in my mind, but for now I'm selling it and will be listing it in various places. I really want to start making moves towards getting an R34 before prices get crazier and I've found places that will store that car until I can bring it here legally. I believe I've stated this before.

I'll still make the rounds to others' journals though and will be around somewhere hopefully. We'll see, my future is a little uncertain right now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
Because the S203 wing is better Ben! JK, they're both sweet.

Well.....it happened on Sunday. Something I never thought I'd do, but the car has been passed on to the new owner, who lives in South Sioux Falls. It's pretty bittersweet really. It's still hard to believe the car isn't in my garage anymore, but well, I guess it's only been two days now. I inundated him with a ton of info and all that, as is the nature of the car and modified cars in general. There's still a lot to pass on and I'll be remaining in contact with him until he gets familiar with the car. I believe he will be in contact with Jason when the time comes, as I've recommended that he's the best person for it. Hopefully he starts a journal on here or NASIOC so that the car continues to get exposure.

With that said, I'll still pop in here from time to time to check on things and others' journals. However I am leaving the Subaru game to pursue GTRs as I'm sure I mentioned before. When I get one I'll post some pics of it in here. I want to say a big thank you to the community and for all I've learned over the years from you guys and the friendships formed over that time, whether it be in person or online friendships; it's all meaningful. It has been quite a journey, with successes and lessons learned.

981 - 995 of 995 Posts