IW STi Forum banner

661 - 680 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #661 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is comin' out again...coolant leaks...**

It goes a lot faster the second time, for what that's worth. Keep at it!
Aye, that it did.

i am right there with you. my 07 yz450 just got rebuilt last year for a grand total of $1800, i didnt cheap out, replaced every bearing and even cams and now is leaking oil and possibly burning oil again after 38 hours:notsure::notsure:
Sounds like me, yeah. It seems when you disassemble something and put it back together the chance for things to leak goes up! Idk how factories do it so efficiently these days with low failure rates. Or maybe it's just bad luck. Or in my case maybe it's as simple as head surfaces.

I was gifted a copy of ATR yesterday by a certain tuner as well :) We'll see about getting it to work with my AP soon. I did more teardown over the weekend, just valve covers and valvetrain left til the heads are off.

Goddamnit.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #662
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is comin' out again...coolant leaks...**

Got the heads and components dropped off at UPS yesterday before we headed on the road to Denver.

I am so superstitious about my stuff arriving intact without damage. I packed the hell out of those packages, but I always worry too much about some asshole who mishandles people's shit - seems you always hear horror stories about the condition that things arrive in...

Goddamnit.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is out again...ugh...heads at IAG**

Been a while.

Colorado was a good time and good escape from the monotony that is Omaha. Got to hang with Jason for a while and saw his new place, which is awesome and has a nice chunk of property out in the quiet mountainscape. We also went to 3R Racing and I got to meet Rob, Chris, and Mark; all super-nice guys and totally unassuming - you'd never guess they're wheelmen. Was cool to shoot the shit with all of them and talk stories.

Seems IAG got my stuff and everything arrived with no damage, but have not heard back on anything done yet, I may ask on Friday. Everything is just sitting in the garage once again, still feeling like I'm never gonna drive it...

Goddamnit.

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts

Some positives, the trip to Colorado at least.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

Glad you got to come hang out. The closing date is pushed back another 2 weeks as they haven't assigned anyone to appraise the house yet...

Yeah, Robert, Chris, and Mark are good people and always willing to lend a hand. That shop is a little bit faster paced than anything you'll see in Nebraska.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #666

Damn, more delays...what's new?

For sure, I can tell just by my short interactions with them. Knowing people like that is invaluable. And yeah, there's nothing like 3R here....sadly.

As for the car, [email protected] sent me these last night outta the blue:

Apparently the pitting in that last pic took 5 passes to remove! Waiting to hear back on how much the deck height changed as a result of that.

·
Registered
902 Posts

That looks solid :tup:

So, you might need to run a more beefy head gasket then?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #668

Yes, but that's what I had installed in the first place. I'll be getting a new set from IAG again since the old ones can't be reused.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Image Link

Apparently the pitting in that last pic took 5 passes to remove! Waiting to hear back on how much the deck height changed as a result of that.
This tells all - the surface finish was too rough. In all honesty, it's a great thing that it leaked before you got the car running, it's easier to deal with. Glad to see it's a "simple," albeit costly (money and time) solution.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #670

That pitting was there before the heads were even touched, however. I found that the first time I pulled everything apart. But yeah, easier to deal with. Just more time and $$$.

I'm hopeful to have it all back together quicker the second time around.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #671

Heads done and work paid for. But because of the long weekend, I won't get 'em 'til late next week I'm sure. I can't believe it'll be the weekend of the 11th before I'm able to start work on the car again.

Ugh...goddamnit.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #672 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is out again...ugh...heads back from IAG**

Got the heads back yesterday, but didn't have a chance to look 'em over. I will do that tonight and try to get some pics uploaded tonight. They pulled the AVCS solenoids out and cover plates off the forward cam cap pairs - would it be a good idea to prime those with oil when going back together? I figured it couldn't hurt and that's what I did the first time going back together(I didn't take it apart, just pulled the banjo bolts out and put some oil down in the chambers).

This past Sunday I spent the day at RPM with my friend Rick, who had his cammed, E85 2.5RS tuned by Jason out on track; man, that thing scoots!! I rode with him a few times and though we can all be quicker, as it stands he has good driving skill and has so much potential I can tell. It was great to get seat time with him. Certainly inspiring to get myself ready to do the same. :tup:

In a related note, I AM HOOKED! -again- :D

!!RAMBLE DANGER, DEAD AHEAD!!

Seriously, all I want to do is be on track and drive fast. All I've been thinking about since Sunday is how to get myself out there again. It's been several years since I drove an actual car on track(way back in '05!), and ever since then it's just been karts. All I can think about after karting is just more karting and going faster, so naturally now it's much of the same. I play sims almost every damn day(and I'm obsessive about lap times!), but it's just not the same as being out there and experiencing the g-forces, sounds and sensations of being on a real track. In a parallel universe, I'm certain I'm a racing driver. If I could do anything all the time, it would be driving. I'm not saying I'm a natural talent or anything, but damnit, I definitely have the drive, motivation, and passion to better myself, and I hope next season I get the opportunity but I'll need to get harnesses and a helmet as well.
*END RAMBLE*

This week/weekend, it begins again...

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is out again...ugh...heads back from IAG**

I was in Omaha on Sunday getting the last of my crap. I almost stopped by the track, but we were running a little behind.

There's more in Rick's car, I just want to get it on a dyno to finish up the tune.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #674

Yeah he mentioned that you were working on a final tune for him, when the dust settles, that is:)

He also was talking over dinner a couple weeks ago about making a trip out to CO next year for that dyno time? That'd be exciting to see for sure.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

That is a MLS-ready surface finish - Godspeed in getting it back together!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #679 (Edited)

I'm still alive haha.

Something like that Ben :) At least it's licking and not leaking. I'm still gonna have flashbacks about this ordeal for years.

Things were slow out of the gates since I was waiting for a friend to be available to assist with the heads going back on and to "stand over my shoulder" as a second check to make sure my procedure was right the first time. Turns out I'm not crazy and I installed it right the first time, so it has to be the surface finish - I just had to rule myself out. Unfortunately I'm going to be busy most of this weekend because one of my best friends is flying up from AZ because my other best friend is getting married next year, but his engagement party is Sunday.

But the real reason he flew up here is because the three of us are gonna see the man, the myth, the legend - 'ol red freckle Bill Burr on Saturday night.

A bit laggy video, but - Bill Burr - Let It Go - 2010 - Stand-up Special - YouTube

So I'll be working on it when I can, but I hope to have it ready to put back in the car by next weekend - that's the plan anyway :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #680
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor is back in again**

So as planned, Rick and I got the motor back in this past Saturday. All went smooth and nothing broke, so that's a positive. Big thanks to him for spending his day working with me, I owe him greatly.

Some of you may remember the scare I had with the bolt on the lower idler being crossthreaded into the block and having to clean and tap the boss; the night before the motor going in I was pretty nervous about the bolt going in a second time, breaking threads and not holding torque. Well I'm happy to say that it held torque fine, so that's a relief.

I realized the first time through that, since I have composite TGVs, I had forgotten to make a grounding wire from the IM to the block, so I will be adding that small item to the list of things to do. This also led me to grounding kits, so I bought a Flex Innovations kit that was fairly priced. Currently waiting on that to arrive.

Time is running out on driving season, but I will have the car buttoned up in 2-3 weeks. Every time I think about it, I'm still a mix of emotions about the mess-up and how long all this has taken. If you would've asked me at the start of all this how long it would be down, I would have laughed at a year and 4 months......

661 - 680 of 995 Posts