IW STi Forum banner

601 - 620 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor FINALLY back in the car - almost there!**

I dropped the new CSF radiator into the car last night and got the hoses on. Everything fits just like stock. Seriously, I was surprised how little hassle it was. Compared to a lot of other parts' fit, this was welcomed. The only thing I had to do was trim the upper rad hose a bit on the engine side since the hose was like 1.5mm from the passenger fan blades. Then I fit the Subtle Solutions rad plate and the Torque Solution upper rad mounts. Looks so nice and clean. I'll get pics later.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #602

Last night I filled the car with coolant and I'll definitely need more than normal since the radiator is larger and the motor was completely dry. It took the full 2 gallons of coolant/distilled water and still can take more, so I'll need to add more as the car is warmed up during first start.

I didn't have a mixing container so I tried a couple stores for regular plastic pouring jugs, but that was going nowhere. I just settled for a couple new gas cans since I didn't want to wait for something ordered on the internet. One for coolant and the other 5 gal for fuel, which I also put into the tank last night since I was mighty low and it's really old fuel. Hopefully the newly added mixture offsets the old's properties since there's more of it in the tank now.

Can I just say how annoying new gas cans are with their BS safety nozzles and shit? Why can't I just get an old-fashioned can with a decent filler neck that doesn't fucking leak?

Also, here's what it looks like:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

That looks great!

I like that rad plate and the rad mounts. I need to get something like that for mine.

And i've spilled more gas and released more hydrocarbons with those "spill-free" cans than any fumes that would have been vented from the old-style fillers.

I've heard good things about these:
EZ Pour Replacement Spout Kit Universal Fuel Water Jug 10050 | eBay

I'm thinking about getting some for my "water" storage cans.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts

Those nozzles suck. I found a couple of nozzle replacements over in my Pops garage, so will be deleting that crap ASAP!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #606

Thanks guys! Yeah, I would've ordered stuff, but like I said I didn't want to wait for stuff to be delivered. Call me impatient for once.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #607 (Edited)

I got really bad news. I have a coolant leak on both head gaskets. It seems to be coming from the middle layer on both. I also have a leak at the water pump gasket. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm gutted and I barely slept last night. The very issue I originally set out to prevent has happened and I haven't even turned it over yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts

Sorry to hear.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts

Did they say anything about additional torque on those gaskets? Those done seem to have any rubber on them like the OEM, so either stuff is not flat, or there is not enough tight.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

The motor hasn't even been fired up yet, right? A tight but undertorqed head gasket would still seal coolant from leaking just from filling, unless it wasn't even remotely close to spec.

Where are you seeing the coolant? Top side of the engine or bottom side? Can you physically see it leaking from between the layers, or is it just collecting there?

If it's top side, double check the cast aluminum water crossover, the O-rings will leak if they get pinched during installation. I had a small leak from mine the first time I put the engine in, although it only seeped once the engine had been run.

The gasket should not influence torque specs at all. Head stud manufacturers and engines builders will recommend different torque specs but that should be based on the fasteners being used and what the fasteners were torqued to during machining. A properly designed gasket will seal best at the fastener's recommended torque specification. Overtorquing the head gaskets, especially ones like the JE's that use a folded-over stopper layer that can be "smashed," can overcompress the sealing embossments and result in leaks. A final torque spec between 90-100 ft lbs is probably what was recommended for an 11mm stud which I believe is what you're using? Larger diameter studs get torqued to higher specs and the gaskets are fine but that is due to the fastener size itself changing and the way the sealing load is distributed.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #613

IAG has not yet responded to my email asking about issues with these gaskets. Before doing all this, they did not specify any special torque values.

In regards to things not being flat - I checked the closed-deck for flatness and it was spot on. IAG's computer-aided machinery is pretty accurate it seems. The ONLY thing I can think of is that I didn't have the heads milled, so they're not uber smooth. Both myself and Daly's checked the heads for flatness and they were within spec. After bead blasting, they're smooth to the touch, but maybe they're not smooth on a microscopic scale? But then, the gaskets have the rubber layer....

No it hasn't been fired yet. I'm seeing the coolant collect on the edges of the gasket on both sides on the bottom of the motor. I can get pictures later. For the crossover I used new o-rings and cleaned out those areas of old crusty stuff. I will look at the top tonight. I used ARP's torque values in 3 stages - 100ft-lbs for the center ones and 90 for the outers.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I don't know what the JE's require for surface finish, but with MLS gaskets, the finish is just as important as the flatness. OEM's usually spec 30Ra or smoother and and most aftermarket companies usually spec 50-30Ra. The Fel-Pro's like I use will seal 60 Ra and smoother (I still ended up between 15-20 Ra on the heads and block anyhow).

If the sealing surface of the heads was bead blasted, that could be an issue, even with the rubber coating on the gaskets.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #615

I am starting to think that's the issue here, if so, I'm kicking myself harder than ever. Talking with IAG now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #616 (Edited)

If you expand the images and view full size, you can see little green blobs on the edges of the gaskets. Also the edges are damp. I looked over the top of the motor and from what I can tell, there's no coolant up there. There's a bunch of stuff blocking the complete view though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Man, I don't know what to say. Normally you'd only see coolant coming from the head to block joint like that if the heads weren't torqued properly and the engine had been heat cycled. Was there residual coolant in the heads that could have gotten on the gaskets during assembly?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #618

No, the heads were bone dry going on. Like I said, factory/ARP torque sequence with ARP torque values of 30-60-90. Rechecked torque after 24hrs and did a final torque of 100ft-lbs on the center studs both sides.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #619

I have been officially and mechanically de-pantsed. From IAG just a little bit ago:

Gavin,

I sent this message independently to 3 of our builders to receive unbiased opinions from each of them individually earlier today.

All three reported back that they believed that the bead blasting was the problem, so your intuition is exactly right. … Bead blasting the head surface without actually decking will cause leaks, for sure!!!

I don't know completely why I chose not to mill the heads. It wasn't an issue of cost at all. I know it's in the past but goddamnit, I'm pretty despondent with myself at the moment. Time to start disassembly I guess.....fuck.

601 - 620 of 995 Posts