IW STi Forum banner

541 - 560 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Motor back and the build begins!**

100% that block wasn't blasted, and I'm honestly astonished IAG would even ship out a block that even looks like that given their stellar reputation. Hopefully they didn't charge extra for the blasting.

The easiest way I got the oil pump correctly installed was to just get all the bolts STARTED into their holes. At that point the crank is pushing the inner lip of the seal outwards, so with a TINY flathead starting at the 12 o'clock position and working around, fold the inner lip back in. Once the entire lip is entirely fold back inwards, fully install the pump.

Major props for dremeling the entire top surface of the block! It looks much much better than when you first received it. Even with a bigass air compressor it took me a couple hours to wire wheel the AC compressor bracket, mostly due to waiting for the air compressor to re-charge.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #542 (Edited)

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up on that. I specifically asked them to do it, but it must've been overlooked I guess. It should look as finished as the heads do below, but I'll have to deal with it. I know it doesn't affect performance but it would've been nice to have it all looking nice since I had the opportunity to clean it all up. I did get charged for hot-tanking, which I can tell they at least did that because the crankcase is all clean of oil. I think my detailed instructions got muddled along the way.

Here's the driver's side ready for the head:

And driver's side done:

Close-up of head gasket:

Passenger side ready:

All done, waiting to re-torque tomorrow:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

don't forget those square-faced bolts :)

Image Link
I think he's got the "basic" model or whatever they call their version that doesn't have the plugs.

I'm a bit late on this but I was going to reassure you the heads are actually one of the easiest steps, especially with head studs. Looks like you're moving along nicely, keep up the momentum and you'll be done by the end of the week :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #545 (Edited)

Right you are Kyle, I went for the "Basic" conversion.

As I did find out in practice, yes, it actually didn't go so bad, was easier than I was telling myself it would be. I was just a little nervous because it's such a crucial step. It's certainly easier than the factory bolts; not having to back out bolts, no odd torque values, and not having to pay as close attention to torque angles :)

I hope to be done by then yes. If only I had more time and didn't have to spend so much of it at that thing we call work.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Look for a local company that does dry ice blasting.

I'll have my engine and bay cleaned. I just need to find a good company around here.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #547

Yeah I don't think anyone around here is that clever, Ben. Post pics when you get it done.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #548 (Edited)

OKAY, so I got the KillerB parts back on and the oil pan all sealed up, as well as the cams in and the caps torqued down. Timing components tonight, maybe some extras, like the turbo and exhaust if I have time.

I know....you're thinking "that's it? he's so slow!", but I have to work around sleep and my job, so that doesn't give me much time. Also, I had a hiccup or two a couple nights ago. Let me fill you in:

I initially went to fit the cams and caps a couple nights ago. I was prepared; I had taken out the buckets and ordered them by how Daly's put them in(since they adjusted lash off the FSM portion I provided to them) and I hadn't touched them up to this point. The disclaimer here is, back when I was first removing everything, the buckets fell out on accident and got mixed. The positive was that I at least had them organized by intake/exhaust when I handed the heads to Daly's.

All was good until I got to the passenger intake cam. For some reason, even without any caps fitted and just sitting in the saddles, that cam was noticeably resistant to rotation by hand, whereas the exhausts on both sides rotated easily, with the driver's intake slightly resistant, but not as bad as the passenger side. No damage, no burrs in the contact surfaces, basically everything looked the same as when I originally disassembled everything, and back then, it should be noted that all cams rotated nicely.

So that had me concerned and perhaps since it was little late and delirium was setting in, I got a little more panicky than I should have. I texted Jason and he was able to suggest some things. I also was an idiot and was trying to torque by feel with a low-reading ft-lb wrench. So I had to stay up extra to clean some parts and reverse the work I did. The next day I went and got some supplies, a PROPER in-lb torque wrench, and took a while to clean the caps, bolts, and threads of oil.

Last night, I went at it again, this time more precisely with more accurate torque values and the result is generally the same - passenger intake cam is very resistant without putting the sprocket on to turn it, driver intake is a touch more resistant this time, and both exhaust cams rotate easily. What takes the most time is carefully applying sealant to the front cam cap assembly.

Just so we're clear!
84in-lbs -> 7ft-lbs for forward cap bolts
168-169in-lbs -> 14ft-lbs for middle and rear cap bolts

05 STi FSM torque sequence:
---------> front of engine
L C G
K A E
J B F
I D H

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

I had similar "issues" (I'm not gonna say problem) assembling my heads/cams.

Both exhaust cams spun very easily by hand even without the sprockets. The passenger intake cam was a bit more resistant to spin by hand without the sprocket, but the drivers intake cam I needed to put the sprocket on in order to turn it by hand. But as soon as I put the sprocket on it spun very easily. I'd say you're fine as long as it isn't HARD to spin by hand with the sprocket.
Reading this has reminded me that I've been meaning to remove the drivers valve cover to inspect everything to make sure it's copacetic.

I'm almost positive mine is fine tho because I did the timing belt about 10 times during the first 300miles, and every time I did it I had no problems spinning the drivers intake cam by hand (excluding the lobe portion :lol:)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #550

Thanks for the feedback, Boots. It's nice to know I'm not completely nuts and that others have experienced the same. It's a little reassuring.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

That's funny. Same thing here with the passenger side intake cam. I went with the "Eh, it'll be fine" approach.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #553

You guys who have done this before sure are laxed :D

This is my first official engine build that I can call my own, so small issues like that are kinda new territory for me; I always assume since Subaru engines are so sensitive, that everything needs to be damn near perfect. Sometimes it's a little murky having to parse through what is "eh, it's fine" and "no, go back and re-do that you idiot".

Some more from last night's post-dinner work:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #554

I've had a complete shit day. And you know what? Now I'm fucked. I just cross-threaded the final pulley threads in the block. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Yep, helicoils are made for this type of situation exactly.
Which hole is cross threaded?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #557

The lower left idler pulley. The last one you put on after getting the belt on. How do I know what size to get?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #559

After some panic on my part(I hope you can understand why), I decided to try just a simple tap and was able to rethread the hole. The bolt went in with ease(mostly) and I was able to torque to spec. That pulley and the timing belt are now on. After that, I was relieved and also nervous at the same time, so I set the tools down for the day.

Unfortunately, I was busy yesterday with family and having people over for a GoT and Silicon Valley watch party(and nervous to any more fuck-ups) so I did not venture back out into the garage to work.

Lesson is: don't work on your hobbies when you've had a shit day and you're tired/pissed off.

Also, like a noob, I looked up the size right after asking that - it's a 10x1.25 bolt. Silly me.

I think I'll work on things tonight.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

Glad you got it fixed; sorry I couldn't be responsive this weekend.

Ideally, when rebuilding using a used block, you should chase all the threads prior to bolting things to it/together. :)

541 - 560 of 995 Posts