IW STi Forum banner

481 - 500 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

Aah the Blitz nür spec ... by far the best looking exhaust for an STi :) what is the difference between the touring model and spec R?

(I had the spec-S on the car for about 2-3 years ... i've taken it off and replaced it with a prodrive backbox ... still have the blitz though but not on the car because sooner or later it would get me unwanted attention)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #482

Agreed. It looks as good as it sounds. The Spec R is a straight-through design with no baffling/packing, whereas the Touring is an actual muffler with internal baffling/packing to quiet down the noise.

I feel the Spec R and a lot of others are just annoying melon-shooter fartcans.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

My buddy has a resonated Nur-spec on his 04, it sounded great with the UEL stock manifold and it sounds even better with his EL GT Spec header he bought from me. Nice to see things are moving along for you!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #485 (Edited)

Kyle, thanks! I know I'm going to love the sound this exhaust will be creating.

Jason.....what?!? :lol: Blasphemy! We'll see in due time....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #487

IIIIIII know. Because what it means is inefficient exhaust. On a functional level, is it the best design? I agree, no.

I know I'm a bit a of a SubaBRO when it comes to the traditional boxer sound:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Nothing sounds good with UEL!
The definition of a "good" sound depends on the preferences of the person hearing it and I didn't say it sounded efficient ;)

I'm a huge advocate for EL headers and I think Subarus with a proper EL header and exhaust setup sound better the UEL, but the sound of those exhaust pulses crashing into each other is what first drew my attention to Subarus so I have a soft spot for it.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

The definition of a "good" sound depends on the preferences of the person hearing it and I didn't say it sounded efficient ;)
I don't get the infatuation of having a car sound like it's missing a cylinder as that's generally a 'bad' sound.

I'm a huge advocate for EL headers and I think Subarus with a proper EL header and exhaust setup sound better the UEL, but the sound of those exhaust pulses crashing into each other is what first drew my attention to Subarus so I have a soft spot for it.
Turbo AWD is what initially drew my attention.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I don't get the infatuation of having a car sound like it's missing a cylinder as that's generally a 'bad' sound.

Turbo AWD is what initially drew my attention.
I was 14 when I first heard a modded UEL Subaru - cut a kid some slack. :cool:

·
Registered
902 Posts

Can't remember when I heard my first Subaru.
But I'll have Lars to fab a EL Header and then decide myself what to leave on the car :D

It's unfair to judge the sound when nobody with an EL header sports the exact same exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Can't remember when I heard my first Subaru.
But I'll have Lars to fab a EL Header and then decide myself what to leave on the car :D

It's unfair to judge the sound when nobody with an EL header sports the exact same exhaust system.
The only EL header I've heard that sounds "bad" no matter what exhaust I've heard it through is Invidia's. I've heard a few setups with their ELH and all of them are raspy, tinny and just don't sound good.

KillerB, Full Race, Tomei/GTspec/other clones, APS, and the Moore Performance TS header I'm going to be running all result in a proper sounding car in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

My Invidia does not have rasp with a Cobb TBE.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a sound clip? I believe you, just interested in hearing it.

I've heard an invidia on both a GD and SR STi, both sounded pretty terrible. My buddy has a Cobb CBE on his GD with an APS 1.5 scroll EL and it sounds good.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #498

The only EL header I've heard that sounds "bad" no matter what exhaust I've heard it through is Invidia's. I've heard a few setups with their ELH and all of them are raspy, tinny and just don't sound good.

KillerB, Full Race, Tomei/GTspec/other clones, APS, and the Moore Performance TS header I'm going to be running all result in a proper sounding car in my opinion.
Well I think different brands of most ELHs will sound roughly the same, only difference being design at that point which may cause a different sound.

Really, it's the post-turbo exhaust that sounds clean or raspy, and yes I agree Invidia CBEs just never sound right to me, like too tinny or something. Plus eeeeeeeverybody and their mom has them on their Subarus. There's other brands out there to use besides the same thing every bro uses.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

Just out of curiosity, do you have a sound clip? I believe you, just interested in hearing it.

I've heard an invidia on both a GD and SR STi, both sounded pretty terrible. My buddy has a Cobb CBE on his GD with an APS 1.5 scroll EL and it sounds good.
I do, but they're not all that great from a GoPro with an enclosed case on it.

This is right after I installed it:

Took this last year.

I'll take the same video from the tailpipe this year with the KillerB, but I may actually get an outside clip at some point.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #500

I remember these vids. Yeah, get a proper recording done sometime. I've only heard the car from a distance when you were pulling away from me in my DD :)

481 - 500 of 995 Posts