IW STi Forum banner

421 - 440 of 995 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **motor is pulled...forged internals, baby...**

I wasn't lying in my assessment of him. ;)

He fails to realize, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. When you don't sell, you have to lower it to a price people will pay. I learned long ago that having less money than desired is better than sitting on something letting it take up space while you use other money to buy stuff you want/need.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #422

Haha, I figured you weren't, I just didn't know he was that bad.

True words indeed.

Updates:
I'm getting my valve covers powdercoated red; should be done in the next couple days. Heads should be done any day this week according to Daly's.

I decided I'm going with IAG for the motor build. I have been in contact with them over the past 2 weeks about what I'm going to want done. They are very responsive and helpful with the whole process so far; I'm pleased with their attentiveness.

Jason, I'll be getting those rods from you soon here...

·
Registered
947 Posts

Lol, I posted a wtb spec c roll up window doors thread, he pm's me saying he has spec c automatic doors.

I said good for you but I want the roll up windows. He then continued to try and convince me to buy his doors because its only a 5 lb difference all while demanding top dollar plus shipping. He said he saw a set sell for 4,000. Cool, I found an Australian set for 700 lol. Dude is seriously out of his mind

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #427

Probably one of the most exciting things going on in Omaha NE... ;)

Karma return! :)
Awwww, gee thanks! Definitely more exciting than President Obama coming to speak one block from where I work on Wednesday? Right.....right?!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #428

Baron, check this out. He says he's motivated to sell too

FS: (For Sale) NOR CAL:S203 Spoiler in WRB OEM - NASIOC
Thanks Foo! But yeah I did see this not long after it was posted; I have been watching this thread as well.

I talked to seventythree over the phone, the guy selling the S203 trunk/wing and we agreed on a potential price and that I may be going up in a couple months to get it, so he said I have the right of first refusal. However, it does have some paintwork that will need to be corrected and, since I'm anal about that stuff, some of it looks rather challenging.

So my predicament is this: do I try touch-up since I have the tools to do so?

If it's bad enough, do I get a respray? If so, how are they gonna do that without molesting the badges? Once you take 'em off, it'd be a real challenge to re-apply them correctly. Can't get new S203 badges unless you own the real thing. :(

Would it be better to get just the wing and find an undrilled WRB Impreza trunk and get another STi badge?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

Have I lost my mind?!? What wackyness is this?! Call the loony bin, because I've gone off the deep end!!

I'm doing something I never thought I'd consider.....but, I'm going to do a closed-deck conversion. After talking more with Jason(he made good points as usual), I think it's worth it to go with not only forged bits, but a closed-deck as well. However, instead of having IAG rebuild it all, I'm going to save on some shop labor costs and build the motor in my garage. I'll send the whole shortblock out to them, have them disassemble/inspect and clean up/recommend parts, do corrective machine work, closed-deck conversion, dynamic balance, and then send it all back unassembled. Phew!

I really just want a stout motor and not leave anything to chance, especially when it comes time to add more than a VF39 can churn out.

I still do not have the heads or my valve covers back...:(

Oh! Almost forgot....there will be an S203-related update coming soon; stay tuned!

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts

So PM me the cost from IAG to do that. I'm bouncing between contacting Outfront and IAG to obtain quotes to do the same or similar. Have machining work done and I assemble.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Didn't jager do a closed deck from out front and then ditched it for his new killer b block that isn't closed deck

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #432

I'm not sure which user you're referring to. Also, not sure why he'd switch from one to the other....

·
Super Moderator
10,700 Posts

Didn't jager do a closed deck from out front and then ditched it for his new killer b block that isn't closed deck
Jager Racing......can't remember his user name on here (mjufbar or something like that). And IIRC he has an Outfront block but struck a deal with KillerB and is building a sleeved block right now - because of the deal on the KillerB block. ;)

Found his Journal => http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-members-journals/132466-mjfubars-06-blue-sti-track-time-11.html?highlight=Jager+Racing#post4217058

·
Registered
947 Posts

Correct, mjfubar.

But if the closed deck isn't all hype and was such an amazing block, why would he go a strike a deal with someone else and ditch the whole closed deck thing all together. That's a rhetorical question BTW ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #435

OH....yeah mjfubar, I know that guy/car. :)

I'm not going all powerhungry, so it won't need sleeves. I'm just gonna keep it "reasonable", no crazy numbers... just 350-400 safe and reliably and I'll be peachy.

·
Registered
947 Posts

If you're not running high boost with high horsepower then you're just flushing money down the drain going with a closed deck

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

Under that theory, he should use stock rods rather than the Turbo Tuff rods he just purchased...

Not quite. These motors have cracked liners with lower power numbers, especially the newer blocks. Also, even if it's not broken, the liners will flex, especially as you add power. And since he desires to track this engine, he'll eventually find a non-reinforced block will start pushing coolant or break a liner.

These motors barely handle their advertised power when pushed. A closed deck is something that is needed for anyone wanting to push and or track these motors.

No idea why the other guy went with liners after having a closed deck. Did we see any documented issues with the closed deck that he was running. I know several people in the 1,000whp range on closed deck blocks and they break things, just not the cylinder liners. Maybe the other guy got a better deal to switch? Either way, closed deck blocks are cheaper, and they have proven to work.

On the note of switching, during one of my conversations with Cameron from CAMtuning, his next motor will switch from sleeves to closed deck.

·
Registered
947 Posts

I posted in his thread to ask why he went with sleeves over closed deck. all i know is his trophies and track records speak for themselves, i doubt he would "downgrade" on a block when his racing career is in an upswing

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #439

^^Couldn't have said it better myself really. I think something should be said for reliability though, to back up Jason's point.

There may be some trickle-down bias from the groups who shoot for max power, in that closed-deck setups are really only necessary at that level; rather, we associate that particular mod to only that group. Well, it just so happens that more often than not, C-D(closed-deck) becomes more of a required mod than a choice at high boost/high power levels if you don't want the motor to pop after 2k miles.

Reliability/longevity and motor health is really what I'm after here. I want to be able to have fun at trackdays without much worry. Adding power and introducing sustained heat stress/pressure in to a system like this without good prep is a recipe for being down an extended period of time again, not to mention the money invested at this stage. It's like building a nice water-cooled PC and not getting a water pump that is sufficient for your cooling loop.

I'm not outright disagreeing with you, just giving you my perspective.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts

I posted in his thread to ask why he went with sleeves over closed deck. all i know is his trophies and track records speak for themselves, i doubt he would "downgrade" on a block when his racing career is in an upswing
There are many different things that can sway parts choices in racing... Some of mine come from me getting sponsored which might have me going with a part I originally had chosen from another manufacturer.

I've got a lot of really good friends that build and race cars professionally (here is one of their recent builds recently featured... Think Lamborghini money in this car. I also provided tuning input for this build. STI Turnt up to 11 - Devin's Wicked Fast Subaru). One of them is a professional racer for KPAX/Flying Lizard and the other one goes faster than everyone with much less money into the car than virtually anyone and willing to bet his 310whp NA BMW gets around the track faster than STi we're talking about. Some of the stuff he goes with would be considered a downgrade to some, but it doesn't stop him from being faster... and it's been reliable. Case in point, when he won NASA TT3 Nationals in 2014, his S54 swapped E36 M3 was edging out an S65 swapped swapped E36 M3. He also set and reset the TT3 lap record while there (and at previous year Nationals) and he had never driven the track before. There is a reason I am a "bang-for-buck" kind of person.

All that said, I'd put a good closed deck block up against a sleeved block and expect the same results, at a much cheaper cost and no common sleeving issues.

421 - 440 of 995 Posts