IW STi Forum banner

361 - 380 of 995 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **motor is pulled...now to mod...**

Without coating, I always had a hard time getting the bolt in. I hated me EWG. Probably shouldn't have taken a file to it and don't be surprised if it leaks now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #362

Without coating, I always had a hard time getting the bolt in. I hated me EWG. Probably shouldn't have taken a file to it and don't be surprised if it leaks now.
Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle for sure. The clamp half is only loose when there's no pressure on it and I can turn the EWG while it's mated to the pipe with half the clamp on. Once I apply any sort of pressure(enough to bring the holes in line just enough to slip the bolt in), the EWG can't rotate and the half is no longer loose, so I think I'm still ok. But I see what you're saying.

Also cleaned up the driver side deck and pulled out the crud from the very tops of the cylinder walls. Checked for flatness with a feeler gauge on multiple angles across the deck and couldn't fit the .0025 feeler underneath the metal straight edge, so I'd say it's good. I need to do a little more prep to the heads before I drop 'em off at Daly's.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #364

Jesus H Christ, that is a nasty setup and a massive turbo. Nuts....

I'm glad you had better luck. It's just odd then that it all fit together before Swain's work, so I doubt it was the clamp....

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

Jesus H Christ, that is a nasty setup and a massive turbo. Nuts....
GTX3067-R Same turbo makes close to 400whp on our Spoolinator kits for the EJ engines. This is on the new FA20 WRX, and a twin scroll variant. On the EJ it's a bit more responsive than OEM as a single scroll, and on the 2.0 as a twin scroll should respond similarly to OEM, but make a bit less power than what we see on the EJ (my personal speculation).

That looks like an obnoxious setup!
A recirculating EWG version will be coming as well.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #367 (Edited)

More updates:
I have the heads at a local machine shop. They are pulling them apart and cleaning them since the passenger side had bits of flux from the welding job all over the inside(and elsewhere). They said I did a pretty good job cleaning them up and that they were really flat and in great condition, so that's good news. They will also be bead-blasting and cleaning the combustion chambers, doing a general inspection, and putting in new valve seals that I just dropped off today. They won't do a valve job unless needed, but I don't think it will be needed since it's only got 30k miles.

Been cleaning up other parts in the meantime. Oh, and I also saved the motor from catastrophic failure! How, you ask? It's not even in the car! Well let's take a look at the pic below to find out why:

Can you see? Ooooohhh, yeeeep! Those little "fun bits" are bits of flux too! That's right, fucking shards of welding material fell into the goddamn oil pan! I just haaaad a feeling that something wasn't right and that it was messier than it should've been after picking it up from the metalworker's shop. So I pulled off the oil pan again over the weekend and this is what I found. I'm pretty miffed at myself for almost letting this go; the motor would've grenaded and all this work would've been for nothing. Definitely too close for comfort. I even told him to plug the oil returns to make sure that nothing fell in. Seems to be lately that my instructions are overlooked, of course. There they are, all piled into the bottom corner, small flecks all over the right-hand sidewall, and there are other pieces lodged under a couple brackets in the pan.

I checked the rest of the pan area/crankcase, and there were other small bits to be found, but thankfully the Killer B baffle covers the entirety of the bottom of the crankcase, so nothing fell in. I spent a solid hour with a close eye and a flashlight looking at the bottoms of the rods and crank and saw nothing at all.

Needless to say it would be too risky to re-use this pan, even after flushing it out, not to mention a hell of a lot of time gone. So I already have a new pan on the way, along with new Denso spark plugs. I just want the rest of this build to go smoother, FFS. Seems like I've been having setback after setback. Granted, it's not the worst things, but it's come close a couple times.

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

About the pan... If you clean it up, it will be completely fine. I've drilled pans and cleaned up worse messes than that. However, if you bought a pan, hopefully you bought an 06+ pan as it is better and will fit more headers if you ever decide to be sensible and get an ELH. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #369

About the pan... If you clean it up, it will be completely fine. I've drilled pans and cleaned up worse messes than that.
I just don't feel confident that I would've gotten all the pieces out.

However, if you bought a pan, hopefully you bought an 06+ pan as it is better and will fit more headers if you ever decide to be sensible and get an ELH. :)
:) Haha, is that right? Nice tip. No though, I bought one that was for the earlier year. I found the different part numbers, but I wasn't sure if the 06+ pan would fit since there were different part numbers to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

There should be no reason you can't get it out. You realize how much stuff is loose in the engine assemblies during machining?

I'd return the pan and get the newer one if you're pressed to spend the money. It'll keep oil around the pickup tube better which is a good thing if you're still wanting to track the car.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #371 (Edited)

Yeah, but I'm sure those assemblies get cleaned out at the factory way better than I could ever do. Just saying.

Welp, that's all you had to say; I'll return it and get the newer version. I wasn't aware there was that much of a design difference between the years. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

There should be no reason you can't get it out.
Definitely. Care in cleaning and there's nothing to worry about. I've seen WAY worse than this. We've even reused oil pickups that full of shards of metal, after a thorough cleaning.

I'd return the pan and get the newer one if you're pressed to spend the money. It'll keep oil around the pickup tube better which is a good thing if you're still wanting to track the car.
Which pan is he running? The only OEM pans that are 'bad' are the older EJ20 flat bottoms. While the 04-05 and 06+ pans have differences, they are marginal and provide no measurable performance difference. The 'tub' that holds the oil at the pickup works well on both. potato potato, tomato tomato.

As far as header fitment. The only ones that are an issue (as far as I know) with the 04-05 pan are the big primary 'race' headers. I'd put the best one about 6th down my list of headers to recommend based on performance. There are better products for less money and 'race' in the title does nothing more than stir a buyers interest... because racecar

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

He's got a 2005 STi. Although the difference isn't huge, the 06+ is going to better keep the pickup surrounded. Even you stated that the baffling is even better. :) Regardless, if you're already buying an OEM pan, you might as well buy the better one.

My Invidia ELH hit my 05 pan... but not initially. After some heat cycles, I found it against the pan when I removed the motor. The header works well and would gladly do some same-day comparisons on the dyno if you want to send me one of your headers. ;)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

Even you stated that the baffling is even better. :) Regardless, if you're already buying an OEM pan, you might as well buy the better one.
If you are buying one anyway, Yes, get the 06+. The manufacturing on the baffling is different, but I wouldn't say enough to add up to anything. Spill out angles are identical (sustained lateral forces) and depths are the same (+/- manufacturing tolerances). The 06+ is more easily available, and personally I'd buy a good used one for $30-$50 (half).

My Invidia ELH hit my 05 pan... but not initially. After some heat cycles, I found it against the pan when I removed the motor. The header works well and would gladly do some same-day comparisons on the dyno if you want to send me one of your headers. ;)
How much did that move to hit?

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

If you are buying one anyway, Yes, get the 06+. The manufacturing on the baffling is different, but I wouldn't say enough to add up to anything. Spill out angles are identical (sustained lateral forces) and depths are the same (+/- manufacturing tolerances). The 06+ is more easily available, and personally I'd buy a good used one for $30-$50 (half).
From what I remember when I looked at both of the pans together, the 05 pan I had on my car looked like it had a little bit wider of a base at the bottom of the pan.

How much did that move to hit?
It's been a few years, so I couldn't tell you with certainty... Probably 1/4-1/2".

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

^ Here ya go...

OEM OIL PAN COMPARISON

Holy crap that's a lot of movement! What kind of stress is that putting on the welds, tube, gaskets. Internal stresses like that can often be mitigated through process (welding steps, managing heat, etc.). The movement is from the stress relieving process when the engine is heat cycled. Essentially, it all settled to where it naturally should be :)

Wasn't that header discontinued?

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

I've seen that thread... Today even.

I'm only guessing at the gap... It's been too long. I knew it was tight and found it tighter when I pulled the motor. Someone else found that too. As far as stress, they all eventually crack. This one is still together for now. Back then, it boiled down to one of my only good options since someone didn't want to release a 2-bolt flange for their header...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #379

Thanks for the comparison. FWIW though, back when I was religiously trolling the FS threads, I never really found any oil pans for sale, that is if they weren't already beat to hell. I haven't looked recently. The 06+ is actually $8 cheaper than the 04-05.

Trust me, I'm a stickler for keeping things clean/cleaning up, but even I don't want to bother with this.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #380 (Edited)

Local guy is coming by tonight to get my old pan from me. I like that the 06+ doesn't have the stupid drain plug baffle; the magnetic tip on my plug won't run into anything :)

The heads will be at Daly's for a bit longer as I dropped by last week since they asked me to come by. When they were pulling the valving apart, they noticed that some valves had more wear than expected for having low mileage and wanted to me come look before they kept going with what was agreed for work - old-world nice guys, really. They were surprised with the wear they found and asked if the car seemed like it was down on power or if the compression wasn't right. Though I wasn't able to check this myself, the car always felt strong, and the dealer said compression was healthy when I bought it - I know, can't always trust what they say.

After looking at the valves(some of the faces were concave/curved inwards!) and talking to them about what's next, it was decided to have them do a valve job; it's the right thing to do at this point. They are going to try and save some of the valves, but Mike could tell just by looking that a few will need to be replaced. So I stopped over a second time to give them the cams, cam caps, sealant, buckets, and new OEM valve seals. They are going to set lash and fully assemble them before giving them back to me.

Fun times. It's getting colder out and I hate it. Still need heaters for the garage. :(

361 - 380 of 995 Posts