IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

How much of the Heat wrap did you end up buying?
I wanna do the same (TMIC) + put it on some pieces that are close to the header that might need protection.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

I bought 2 12x20 sheets to do the TMIC and the heatshield. I didn't really have any mistakes or wasted that much and I have a small 6x6 portion left.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **motor is pulled...now to mod...**

After what was a super-busy whirlwind weekend, I am proud(yet overwhelmed, OHGODWHATAMIDOING!?) to say that I have the motor out of the car. The whole process, due to some other sidetracks, took around 5 hours, but the motor took some fanagling just because.

It really went pretty smooth, had to heat some bolts up with a MAP torch, then they complied. The only real issue so far is still that rear P/S pump bracket bolt that sheared off in the block. We tried tapping and extracting it, but the extractor bit broke off in the bolt! So now we will try welding a nut on the top and taking it out. The only positive was that right before the extractor broke, the bolt turned in the thread. :\

So now comes cleaning the engine bay, the motor, and then taking the oil pan off for the KillerB parts install. Slowly and surely...but let's get to the pics!

DUN DUN DUN.

No wastegate crack and no shaft play, hotside is clean inside! :tup:

No oil leaking from the rear main seal! Again the bellhousing was surprisingly clean in there considering the rest.:tup:

Hotspotting on the flywheel and pressure plate, but I'm getting the flywheel resurfaced this week sometime.

Clutch is in okay shape, with a decent amount of material left. Too bad it was slipping so much.:(

It looks clean, but it's not. That will soon change.

Say byebye to all those old OEM pieces; won't be missing those fuckin' corroded bolts!

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts

At first I was like......damn look at that turbo crack.......tiestrap~lol.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

Ohh..race ramps. I absolutely love mine.

·
Registered
902 Posts

:lol: I was gonna say the same but you beat me to it :lol:

Looking good, progress is always a good thing!

Will you put new Motor Mounts and a new Tranny Mount in?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #310

Haha, yeah I ziptied the turbo to a bracket on the rear.

Ohh..race ramps. I absolutely love mine.
No joke, these things are so helpful. Really worth the investment. They make things super easy.

You have an AccessPort? I will get you a map so you can start the car.
I do not have one yet, but I have been keeping my eye out for deals on v2s. I may try to find a v3 or something. I realize it would be wise to have one but I just put it off I guess. I may have one by the time this is completed.

Couple questions: I remember you said to use something other than Subaru 3Bond for the oil pan seal; which one was it and why?

Also, what should I do with the leads on the harness for the TGV sensors?

:lol: I was gonna say the same but you beat me to it :lol:

Looking good, progress is always a good thing!

Will you put new Motor Mounts and a new Tranny Mount in?
Thanks Ben! I do have GrpN mounts going on, yes. I was considering a trans mount, but I do not have one currently in mind.

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

I used some sealant that is made by Hundai. It's what my buddies at Subaru use and it seems to do what it was meant to. I have another unopened tube of it. I bought two just in case, but I didn't use more than one.

As far as the AP, if you want a v3, which is significantly nicer than a v2 I can probably get you one for less than retail. If you can find a clean v2 for really cheap, it also does the trick as well.

I'd just leave the TGV connectors there, but accessible. If Cobb ever actually releases FlexFuel, that could be a possible input for the sensor.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #312

I used some sealant that is made by Hundai. It's what my buddies at Subaru use and it seems to do what it was meant to. I have another unopened tube of it. I bought two just in case, but I didn't use more than one.

As far as the AP, if you want a v3, which is significantly nicer than a v2 I can probably get you one for less than retail. If you can find a clean v2 for really cheap, it also does the trick as well.

I'd just leave the TGV connectors there, but accessible. If Cobb ever actually releases FlexFuel, that could be a possible input for the sensor.
Cool, if you don't need it, I'd pick it up from you instead of waiting for shipping :) Let me know.

I've been looking for deals on APs today, and have only come across one. All the v2s have been sold or the threads haven't been updated in forever. I'd prefer a v3 of course, but I held off because they are pricey. I remember you had a group buy a while ago, but what would you be able to get for me price-wise?

I will just tuck the leads back and wrap with electrical tape. Also, I noticed that I have the harnesses/clips for the injectors as part of that group buy, but would it make sense to just get the PnP adapters so I don't have to splice? Is that worth the $50?

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

$10 and it's yours.

I'll get with you about the AP off line.

I went with PnP harnesses to make it easier. If the wires were easier to get to initially, I probably would have swapped the connectors over.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #314

That's an easy sell, deal. Let me know whenever, call/text. I was already thinking of the PnPs, but this makes up my mind.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #315

I was really looking forward to the 4 day weekend with taking off last Friday and having yesterday off, but it seems the universe had other things in store for me since I was, and still am, sick. I tried getting out in the garage to wrench, but didn't last very long because it was hot and stuffy and having no energy and your ears/nose/throat plugged up is no fun.

I'm on the tail end of feeling crappy it seems, so I'm hoping this week works out. I'm a little miffed that I lost all that time though, since it's already Sept. 8th and we're getting that much closer to the end of the season. Don't remind me!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

That's too bad! I tore up my yard saturday installing drainage tile around the house in the sunny heat, and only felt like relaxing the rest of the weekend. Poor tiburon still has no brakes.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #317

Unfortunately, I was "forced" to relax. Heat does not help things.

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

Getting sick/injured sucks when you have things to get done. I can't stand it when it happens.

If you're wanting this tube of sealant, you'll need to pick it up by Friday. How soon are you expecting to have the motor in and ready for tuning?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #319

It certainly does, I'm still annoyed at the lost time.

Anyways, I can drop by anytime after 5 today and tomorrow. I reckon I'll have it back in in a few weeks' time, including bolting everything back up. That's tentative for now though, but there's not much on my plate this month :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #320 (Edited)

Some progress:

Got to cleaning some more up on the engine and the engine bay. Basically just degreasing stuff and also removed the old gasket material. It looks better than the pic because I had flash on:

So I was dumb and waited til the last minute to order an oil pan separator from Amazon, but the stupid package got delayed and took an entire week to get delivered. Never have I been more happy to see a stupid little tool.

No one in town carried one at all, and every auto parts store I asked just looked at me like I was crazy for asking. Like, I've seen these multiple times through the years; how has no one heard of these? They just recommended frickin' getting a flat scraper or prybar to do the job; no you jackwagon, it's an aluminum surface that's real sensitive to prying and scraping! Not only that but a scraper is too big and I don't have a lot of space to fit one in there. That's why a separator works because it's tiny and the peg is perpendicular to the blade/striking surface and the blade is tapered rather than just being flat. Asshats....

Anyways, the pan came off with relative ease after running the tool along the pan edge a few inches on both sides, so that was good, just needed a little coaxing.

OEM stuff:

I could see into the crankcase with a bright light pretty well of course: some portions of the cylinder walls, rods, counterweights on the crankshaft, etc. Nothing had any scoring/wear that I could see, and there were no shavings to be found anywhere, so that's good news. Seems that it's pretty healthy, which is reassuring.

Killer B goodness. Piece of mind, m'boy!

Tonight I will be applying the gasket sealant and shutting it back up then, I can FINALLY start bolting everything else on the motor and getting it ready to be put back in the car.

301 - 320 of 995 Posts