IW STi Forum banner

181 - 200 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **back on the road!**

Haha, you would think, right?! Once I get my headlights back on I'll be driving it more for sure.

It will be a welcome change though. Light and low as opposed to high and heavy. If you come out this way, feel free to drop by.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #183

So I got a hold of OptionsAuto again yesterday and they said that they picked up my exhaust from the port last Friday and that it's supposed to be coming to me soon! All I can say is FINALLY! Once it comes in, I will be placing an order for a bunch of parts, so that's always fun.

Also sent out my headlights to Lightwerkz today, I have faith they will do a good job.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)

Holy cow, I got my damn Blitz CBE yesterday.....after 7 months...what a trip.*grumbling*

Seriously though, I'm pretty happy about it, it really is perfect for my car and can't really imagine anything else going on 'er. It's tasteful and sounds amazing from what I've seen in videos and I'm excited to hear it in person eventually. I know it will be perfect and will get slightly louder which is all I'm looking for. It's no Spec R and I like it that way!

On a related note, there is quite a big difference from the first one I received and the one I got yesterday, really noticeable. Like I said before, I still maintain that I got an older one the first time, or rather one that was early in the production line. This new one's metalwork and finish is cleaner overall, cleaner welds(not bent of course!), and it looks more fresh if that makes sense. Also, the box was not torn to absolute shreds....

Next at the top of the list of parts is the downpipe naturally. Since I'll be going hybrid and EWG, it will be a catless and bellmouth of course, and I have a couple choices of brands. The thing is, I'm kind of surprised at the small amount of brands(not counting Invidia) that offer something here. Most seem to be catted and/or divorced. I can see why though, since most customers live in strict emissions-controlled states. I will NOT be welding my IWG, but rather going with a bracket instead. I would think that the bracket wouldn't be prone to failure really at all.

This led me to think....is there a reason why welding the IWG is so common? I mean, a $20 bracket should be cheaper than paying someone weld an IWG, right? Let alone decreasing the value of the turbo if you ever wish to sell it....I see welded turbos all the time on FS forums.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #186

Interesting note there, I guess it's true yeah, the Grimmspeed bracket didn't always exist :)

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

I also have a different turbo and the GS 20G bracket was for an older Blouch housing. I received one of the newer compressor housings (at the time) and it just wouldn't work. Now it's much easier with the universal brackets.

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts

For a couple if turbos, I just made a bracket. Took about an hour each, personally I don't agree with welding, but that is me.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)

True, you are using a different turbo, I guess you've had it longer than I thought...but yeah universal now helps.

Fabbing skills, yo. Wish I had 'em.

Lightwerkz emailed me today with a couple pictures of my headlights; they look great! I'm anxious to see the lenses in person. They were in pretty okay shape to begin with, but they still had some light scuffs and hairlines. Now they should be really clean from a professional polishing!

Caesar said that when he first opened the box and inspected them, he thought they were new! After all, they get a LOT of crummy housings and lenses to refinish.

Like a bonehead though, I forgot to tell them one detail(always something, right?!) - I wanted them to leave the amber piece in the parking lights, but they thought I wanted everything removed. To reopen them would mean redoing the job. Not their fault, I'm just annoyed at myself for forgetting, UGH! Ah well, the only thing I can do is find some amber replacement bulbs, but some stores around here only carry clears, just a slight annoyance.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #190

Got my headlights back and put on, they look pretty good. I will take some pics and post them showing the bulbs as well once they are adjusted properly.

Spent the past couple days pulling out some scratches in my hood because my friend's frickin' indoor/outdoor cat walked all over it while we were hanging out a few nights ago, out of all the cars there. Walked outside to casually look at the car and noticed a dark strip from the front of the hood to the flat top of the bumper just above the license plate mounts. Cat was sitting under his truck next to the car just watching me like nothing happened. It was getting dark out and I realized it wasn't coming off with detail spray/microfiber. I was thoroughly annoyed, but what am I gonna do? Can't yell at my friends over it. Got home under different lighting later on to see the paw prints up the passenger side of the windshield.

My shitty luck.....at least it's been corrected.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #191

Woops, kinda forgot about my journal for a few days. I will post some pics soon of the new bulbs.

New small anomaly I can't figure out:
For some reason as of yesterday, while the car is on, the parking lights won't shut off. Before you ask....yes, I have checked the switch on top of the steering column. It's weird, because when I flick the switch, I can see the lights quickly flicker. They do turn off with the car though. I have checked the associated fuses and I got nothing. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts

Ground?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #193

I know of a few grounds around the car, just check all of them? The thing is, I haven't really touched the car, other than a new battery, but that was done a couple days ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

That sucks about the cat... I have a BB gun you can borrow.

As far as the lights, have you check the switch itself? Maybe pop it out and test it to see if it has continuity in the open and closed position.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

Yeah, I suppose I will need to do that....pulling the shroud off the column. The switch itself definitely has a positive feel to it since it actually "clicks".

How'd you do last Sunday? I wasn't able to make it away from work. I think there were some large storms along I29 later that day?

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts

I got two sessions in on Sunday and then we looked at the weather radar showing that lots of rain was coming. We packed up and went home and then I went out to Lincoln to visit some friends at the AutoX Spring Nationals.

This picture was taken shortly before we left... It was getting darker.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #197 (Edited)

Small update: I finally got around to ordering my Fortune Auto's. They are the newest V5s, with 8k/7k springs, camber plates on all corners, adjustment extenders on the rear, and the Koyo sealed radial bearings. Also got the SuperPro RCA kit with the order.

Should be a couple weeks' build time if they're busy, but I'm looking forward to it. They won't be going on the car for a month or two since I plan to do most stuff all at once. No point on getting under the car several times.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)

Ordered a Tomei downpipe today, gasp! I will get a bung welded into it slightly after the bend for an AFR. I know it's real simple to do, but I don't have welding gear, so I need to look for a shop that can do a clean job for a fair price.

Also popped out the switch for the parking lights recently and all looked fine there, put it back in, same issue...annoying. But before I went for a small drive yesterday, noticed the lights can now be turned off again....weird.

EDIT: Not going with a Tomei DP since RSD is not going to see any delivered until Aug 30th; way past the date I wanna start building the car up. So I am now back on the market and looking around at DPs, yay.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Woops, kinda forgot about my journal for a few days. I will post some pics soon of the new bulbs.

New small anomaly I can't figure out:
For some reason as of yesterday, while the car is on, the parking lights won't shut off. Before you ask....yes, I have checked the switch on top of the steering column. It's weird, because when I flick the switch, I can see the lights quickly flicker. They do turn off with the car though. I have checked the associated fuses and I got nothing. Anyone have any thoughts?
The parking lights switch on top of the steering column gets it's power from a constant on battery source. If your lights do at least shut off with the ignition when the problem is occurring, then the switch on top of the steering column is not the power source, or the problem.

The headlight/parking light switch at the end of the turn signal gets it's power from an ignition switched circuit. This is likely your culprit. If it's not reliably disconnecting the parking lights from it's power source, it may need to be replaced, unless there's some other short circuit in your wiring somewhere. You don't have any trailer lights, do you?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #200

Thanks a lot for insight, camel. No I don't have anything trailer-related.

181 - 200 of 995 Posts