• Balance for both track and auto-x

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Don't balance for either

Votes: 2 22.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I say don't balance for either. At the autocross you wont go fast enough to feel it. You need to be doing 70mph+ at least (I would think a bit higher) to feel it really bad.

At the track it is worthless. You spend money on balancing (road balancing is EXPENSIVEEEEEEEEE) and then on the 5th lap your tire melts, picks up tire crap from the track etc. etc. and your tire is out of whack withing 15minutes. I balance mine before the season and after each track day I would drive the car for a few days and scrub it clean. If it is really bad after that I might go balance it again but it will last for about 10-15min at the track and you are done again.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
you can get away with not balancing autox only wheels to my knowledge...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just to make sure I am understood here. YES balance your tires if you are daily driving it. I balance mine every time I rotate. However, right before auto X or track I think it is a waste of money. You should make sure your tires are fine in daily driving situations.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I would still balance them just once before the season and maybe use a "bubble" balance just to check them before a race. Seriously, balancing every time before a track day (especially if you road balance) will end up costing more than a brand new set of tires.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, you should balance your tires for either autox or track. I havent yet tracked my 06 STI, but I do track my Motorcycle. It only took me one track day to go through a set of race tires, were I usually get 2 days out of a set, because they werent balanced! They wont wear correctly if not balanced.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,194 Posts
Serioulsy...balancing is def worth it in my book. Anything I can do to further make mods, or anything done to my car safer for me and the car, I do!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.