IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Got my STi in early November, very carefully broke her in, just turned 1100 miles, and did my first oil/filter change. Been looking at all the goodies I want to get, Pinks, strut tower bars, wheels & tires, signed up for my first track day at LimeRock, and now-BOOM! My wife lost her job, and the STi has got to go. I am bummed, BIG TIME! :cry: I don't even know where to start. How much is it worth? Where do I advertise? Who's gonna buy her? Cannot hold down the fort by myself and make the payments on my baby. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
ebay,autotrader,local newspaper,forums. its gonna be kind of hard right now with the market being the way it is(buyers market). if you can sell it low,so you can get rid of it asap 26-28K. she can't get a new job? sell her car? sell your other car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"she can't get a new job? sell her car? sell your other car?"

My wife's disabled, and can only work in very specific jobs-pretty hard to come by. She's got an accessable van, and needs to keep it just to get around. My other car is a company truck, so I'm lucky there. I'm also trying to sell my bike ('02 RC51), so I'm pullin' out all the stops here!

I'm located in Massachusetts (Patriots! World Champs!).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That sucks. Hopefully you won't have to sell once the panic feeling erodes and you make sense of everything....good luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sucks man. If you own your own house look at a second mortgage. I went that way for the tax deduction. Not that I'm paying minimum, but my minimum monthly payment is less than $40. Yes, forty. May not be worth risking your house, but it would give you time to think in a buyers market.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
put ur car on equity, if its built up and that way you just make one payment , it might increase a hundred or less....my .02 cents! =|

·
Registered
251 Posts
Me and you are kinda on the same boat, i have to sell my H1 soon, still havn't found any buyers. I hate having my favorite car leave me, but im not stuck in that situation your in. Good luck to you though

·
Registered
350 Posts
Trim Splashguard For Oil Filter Access

This kind of news feels like loosing a family member :( Hope you can resolve your financial problems without getting rid of the STi :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
STICKERED!!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice. Panic is right! Maybe once I settle down, we can figure it all out. I like the 2nd mortgage idea, but that doesn't solve where that $$ coming from. We'll get it sorted out, just gonna take some time. Don't be surprised if an ad shows up in the classified section in a week or two!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You can mortgage the house and retain some of the money you've built into equity to get you by until you're on your feet again. Depending on how much equity you've got, you may also be able to fold your STi's financing into the mortgage, and you'd only have one payment - probably about the same as your house payment is now - but of course you'll extend the ammount of time that you'll be paying for the house.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
true

·
Registered
219 Posts
SlVrBullit said:
:cry: Anybody got any ideas?
Sorry about your misfortune!

But.... if you call your lender, and tell them about your recent hardship, they just might let you pay only the interest portion of the car payment for a couple of months. Make it apparent to them that the alternative is loosing your business altogether, if you have to sell.

This will reduce your payment to $160 (based on a $32K loan @ 6%).

This might allow you to still afford it, until your wife gets back in the job market. :)

If they won't deferr your principal payment, you might try to refinance w/ another institution (even if you have to pay the same rate or slightly higher). You can usually do it for little to no cost, and will get at least a 45 day grace period before another payment is due, which could be enought time for your wife to get a job. Technically, you could keep doing a refi until your wife gets a job, or you find an institution that will let you pay only interest until she does.

I'd try anything to keep my baby.

·
Registered
316 Posts
DJ_STi said:
Me and you are kinda on the same boat, i have to sell my H1 soon, still havn't found any buyers. I hate having my favorite car leave me, but im not stuck in that situation your in. Good luck to you though
How do you mean you are in the same boat? Is this your post from "How old is too old for STi"?
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

ill be 17 when my dad gets me the STi (in june or july, when we move to massachussets) so im only 16 right now but um yea im kinda young, but im a responsible driver tho so i think thats all that matters, and yes i can reach the gas padel.... barely

You may be in the same boat as far as selling a vehicle but thats about it I would say. Please don't take that personally, its just that you seem a little young to be in the same boat. --Sin52

·
Registered
316 Posts
PSM STI trunk trade

Take a look at monthly spending. do you smoke? quit.
How much grocery $$ is spent on beer, soda, candy, microwave popcorn. A block of cheese is cheaper than the individually wrapped and sliced kind. When I was younger I remember Eating pasta for the entire week because it was cheap to make a boat load of it. Do you have cable or sat? Do you have any premium choice packages? Can you turn the heat down and wear a sweatshirt? Take shorter showers? I just want you to be able to keep your car. But family comes 1st bro. Good luck and keep us posted. --Sin52

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i was offered some type of "can't make the payments insurance" when i bought my STi. i'm not sure about the specifics because i turned it down. maybe you bought into it and did'nt realize it? might be worth looking into. hope you get to keep your STi, but in the end its just a car and there are other things that have to come first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts