IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry if this has already been addressed, but I’ve googled the 2015-2018 STI’s and I’ve heard that the engines end up having problems and some even getting blown early. I’ve heard Subaru not covering these cars in warranties. Can someone shed some light on this subject? What are your experiences with these vehicles? Thank you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You can find problems with any car if you google hard enough.

Subaru has been hit or miss covering warranties on STis, because they know the car will be driven hard and is usually purchased by young men who want to be ken block. I've had friends who have had bigger turbos with E85 get their cars repaired with warranty, and seen others who have had it 100% stock and been denied because of "abuse". It seems a good dealership is crucial for this, as some more "mod friendly" dealerships will get stuff repaired if modded.

In reality, they are just like any car. If you treat it right, it will treat you right. Subaru sells thousands upon thousands of these cars, so you're bound to find issues with them.

There have been reports of people blowing up these cars at stock power levels, but usually they dont tell you they were flooring it in 6th gear going 140 mph....they missed oil changes....or modified the car beyond what Subaru originally intended

. If you mod this car, and it blows up...then you are on the hook to repair it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Subaru WRX STI Reliability Rating is 2.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 36th out of 36 for compact cars. The average annual repair cost is $758 which means it has average ownership costs.
Pretty sure you can google other cars and not get this as a result.

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
I shouldn't floor it in sixth gear at 140 - when I am trying to go faster?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The Subaru WRX STI Reliability Rating is 2.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 36th out of 36 for compact cars. The average annual repair cost is $758 which means it has average ownership costs.
Reliability is really subjective to ones own perspective and perception. Some people think their car is a POS meanwhile they never do any maintenance or repairs, drive it until it cant, and then act surpised and get mad when the car breaks. If you treat these cars right and drive them correctly you should be fine as long as you take care of it. All cars have an ownership cost lol. An sti or any kind of "sport" car isnt the car you should be concerned with average repair cost or reliability ratings lol.

I’m sorry if this has already been addressed, but I’ve googled the 2015-2018 STI’s and I’ve heard that the engines end up having problems and some even getting blown early. I’ve heard Subaru not covering these cars in warranties. Can someone shed some light on this subject? What are your experiences with these vehicles? Thank you.
Its true the engine can blow at any point but alot of that has to due with driving habits. If the car is stock and has not been modded along with having service history at the dealership then yeah the warranty should be honored provided the car hasn't been abused. Alot of people will come on here and say that SOA wont cover the engine and the dealer is claiming abuse. Meanwhile they have no service history at the dealer, no maintinance records, not even proof of oil changes or reciepts. Sometime it will be their first visit to the dealer, and of course the car needs an engine. What do you expect SOA and the dealer to do lol. Warranty is pretty clear, but abuse is always subjective. Its not always up to the dealer but rather SOA if they will approve the repair.

When i was looking to get an sti many years ago i decided i wanted to get one brand new. I wouldnt have to worry about anything breaking or how the car was treated previously. My car has been modded for many years and i havent had any problems with it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
correct...downshift to 4th ~9krpm to go faster! jk lol don't abuse it and these tend to be reliable

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, so why are you wasting yours and our time??

·
Registered
307 Posts
An STI probably isn't the car for you if your main concerns are reliability and cost of ownership. The 2015-2018 STIs are just as reliable as the previous years. The 2019+ may be more reliable with the revised pistons. They may have also received a new rod bearing design or manufacturer given the class action lawsuit, but I haven't seen any definitive information on that.

If you still want an STI and care about reliability and repair costs, buy it new with a warranty. This guarantees no abuse or maintenance neglect from the previous owner(s). Keep it stock and perform routine maintenance to keep the warranty intact.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
"I’ve heard that the engines end up having problems and some even getting blown early. I’ve heard Subaru not covering these cars in warranties."
Stop listening to whoever you are listening to. Among fun cars these are fairly inexpensive. So, young, inexperienced drivers get their hands on them and beat the snot out of them. That on top of the fact that many mess with them and cause problems. I road raced my new 2011 STI with 600 miles on it. I also autocrossed it. Yes, I tuned it, modded the suspension, added an oil cooler and other stuff like an A/OS for reliability. With 6K on it I still had a great running, reliable car!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I bought my 2015 STI used knowing that a blown engine was a possibility. I installed an AOS as preventative maintenance and regularly check my oil level and do timely changes. After my warranty is gone I'll be modifying it with a new turbo with the understanding that there's a high possibility that my engine will blow up. All cars have problems you just got to get something that you think you can deal with.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I dislike you using the term "blow up" as if our cars are ticking time bombs! Detonation is about the only thing that can occur if you keep the boost within reason. Detonation is usually the tuner or the owner's fault. You must add an A/OS and keep oil out of the intake tract!
Otherwise, you need a built short block if you go over 20 PSI. The only time I have seen an engine literally blow up, meaning the rod broke and penetrated the case, was when it was raced, where it was over 400 horsepower, on a road race course and being flogged for 20 minutes with no oil cooler and it ran low on oil. Usually that occurs when the rod bearing seizes to the crankshaft.
I have 50 hours on my 24 PSI, 470 HP race engine that I turn to 8K. It can be done... and not "blow up".

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Yes an STI will be more expensive than an econo0box. It will be More fun though. Make the choice best for you.

I drove a stock 2004 WRX from 2005-2102 putting 227K on it. Been dring an 05 STI since. I am sure it would have made 200K if I hadn't proactively rebuilt it at 184K. It has over 245K on it now. Both car have been/were very reliable. Neither ever broke down on the road.

I'd say their economic life is near 200K. By then they, will need more and more work. That said, any car with over 200K mi, car will have needed maintenance, A timing belt, a set of rotors, a few sets of pads, 5 sets of plugs 5 air filters, 8 cabin filters, and an absolute minimum of 40 oil filters and 200 qts of oil. 3 replacement sets of tires and perhaps a clutch though I never replaced the one in my WRX :). You'll have other significant necessary replacements too, but, you will in any other car too!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the productive responses, however I’m an idiot not planning on modding the car AT ALL. Someone educate me on what AOS is, thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate all the productive responses, however I’m an idiot not planning on modding the car AT ALL. Someone educate me on what AOS is, thank you
It’s an air oil separator. When you run higher boost it helps keep the higher crank case pressure from blowing oil into your intake basically. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
I have a boosted brz and the radium aos works fantastic.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'd be more worried about the tranny, interior rattles, soft paint.

An AOS might void warranty. Subaruis very strict.
Tranny? The sti trans is as stout as it gets when it comes to a manual 6 speed from what ive seen. Interior rattles, are usually just some plastic or a clip somewhere, nothing to be worried about. Soft paint, just try and take car of the car.
These things arent really anything to worry about on an sti.

If you're running an AOS/catchcan setup then chances are you are already modded. The AOS isnt whats going to lead to a repair not being covered under warranty 🙂

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I bought a new 2019 STI several months ago. Only mod is a full bolt-on catback system other than that the car is stock even a stock tune. Even with the catback alone the car is very fun to drive. I religiously change the oil every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Subie Bro11 don't try to deny my personal experiences and that of past good friends. Just try and take care of the car... Assumptions... You bring your experiences as I mine. I am a non bias owner. Have over 1/2 million KM put on other vehicles and 100,000km on this 18STI by next week.

Yes 100% an AoS can be used for warranty denial. They just have to show reasonable correlation to the problem. The Subaru dealer I used to deal with tried to debate their way out of every warranty claim I've had, no matter how small and easy the fix.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Hey Subie Bro11 don't try to deny my personal experiences and that of past good friends. Just try and take care of the car... Assumptions... You bring your experiences as I mine. I am a non bias owner. Have over 1/2 million KM put on other vehicles and 100,000km on this 18STI by next week.

Yes 100% an AoS can be used for warranty denial. They just have to show reasonable correlation to the problem. The Subaru dealer I used to deal with tried to debate their way out of every warranty claim I've had, no matter how small and easy the fix.

Cheers.
Hey, Boilermaker128
If you are referring to me, i have no idea what your are talking about. I dont know how i would to be honest. Im sure there is more to the story of why your dealer was trying to get out of covering your repairs under warranty. Im sure there is also reasons as to why a repair wasnt done under warranty as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts