IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been quite some time since I was in a Subaru. Between then and now there have been quite a few amazing cars (Cayman R, RF Miata, Focus RS, Audi TTRS).

The most recently being the Cayman R. What a fantastic car that was. Easily my favorite. But as it happens in life, circumstances change. In the coming month/s my wife and I are having a baby girl and that meant some changes for a bit. What a great transition back to something fun and familiar.

Having had a number of various STi swaps and a ‘15 awhile back, I really wanted to find something more than straight stock out the gates. Especially with the new model coming soon. It took a bit of searching but I finally found a Series White and it arrived this week.

Couldn’t be happier. It feels like putting on your favorite pair of vintage jeans.

My wife already misses the R quite a bit though, probably more than I do. Ha!

Looking forward to having a small build/project again. Will keep this thread updated as it unfolds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Current plans for the future:
Creature Comforts/Interior

• STi RA suede steering wheel (ordered)
  • Overland Design Alcantara shift boot (ordered)
  • Overland Design Alcantara ebrake boot (ordered)
  • Overland Design Alcantara center console (ordered)
  • Overland Design Alcantara upper console (ordered)
  • WeatherTech Mats (installed)
  • OEM Red footwell lighting
  • JDM STi push start button
  • JDM STi piano black vents (outer/center)
  • JDM STi piano black HVAC buttons

Exterior
  • OEM front lip (installed)
  • OEM rear spats (installed)
  • HT Autos side skirts (installed)
  • RallyArmor Mudflaps (installed)
  • XPEL (or equivalent) film protection

Suspension
  • JDM STi Front Draw Stiffeners
  • JDM STi Front Crossmember Support
  • JDM STi Rear Flexible Crossmember Support
  • STi Flexible Front Strut Bar (ordered)

Performance
- Exhaust TBD

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome back! Great choice with the series.white, love those wheels! I'd love to have a Cayman and it's my obtainable "dream car". I think the current STI is one of the few great drivers car available for under $40K. Coming from the R, does the STI still scratch that itch as a enthusiast fun street driven "drivers" car or is the R such a better car that the STI seems like amateur hour?

I guess what I am asking is should I be dreaming about that Cayman or just enjoy my STI, cause it's got that same feel for half the price (I'm not worried about performance numbers and track times, just the "Feel" and "Fun" of the car).

Congrats on your new STI! It looks great!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome back! Great choice with the series.white, love those wheels! I'd love to have a Cayman and it's my obtainable "dream car". I think the current STI is one of the few great drivers car available for under $40K. Coming from the R, does the STI still scratch that itch as a enthusiast fun street driven "drivers" car or is the R such a better car that the STI seems like amateur hour?

I guess what I am asking is should I be dreaming about that Cayman or just enjoy my STI, cause it's got that same feel for half the price (I'm not worried about performance numbers and track times, just the "Feel" and "Fun" of the car).

Congrats on your new STI! It looks great!
Thanks!

Great question and also something that had been rattling around in my brain after I sold the R and began the search for the right STi. I’d say the STi absolutely scratches that itch for sure, but in a totally different way than the R. It’s hard to compare the two super directly, especially with one being AWD/Front engine VS RWD/Mid engine. But they both are trying to achieve the same basic driving experience. One that is connected and more “raw” than some other modern day sports cars.

The R in every right is a better car. It’s more refined, it communicates everything from the road, it sounds glorious, steering is wild heavy, the seats are real sport seats, seating position is better, it’s a laser wherever you point it, and the grip is out of this world. That’s the way it should be for the price and for being built on a true sports car platform though. Power builds over time and while it has it all over the place due to the NA Flat 6, you also need to ring it out and hit the power and perfect to get the biggest punch out of it. To be fair, ringing out is all you want to do so you can constantly hear it. You just get a different kind of feeling when driving it and the attention it gets is on a different level than a Subaru.

BUT with all that being said, the STi achieves a lot of the above as well along with some things the R doesn’t provide. It’s characteristics are a bit different when pushing the limits due to the AWD. You aren’t going to get the same thrill drifting the tail out as you can with the R, but you can look to the STi to provide thrills other ways. It’s less exhausting to have fun in the STi and it’s limits are lower. To me the higher the limits, sometimes the harder to have fun. The power band is literally flipped compared to the R. In some ways I think the STi Is a bit more playful all the time. Over the past 3 days I have found myself enjoying the ease of fun in the STi vs in the R. I always had to go find the perfect road to drive in the R (or track). The STi is a hoot anywhere.

I don’t find myself missing the R as much as I thought I would (but always will to some extend because it’s a phenomenal car). I think anyone who could own one should or at least rent one for the weekend. I would have kept it alongside the STi if I could have and made it the weekend date night car and track toy. As far as if you should keep dreaming about the R.....it’s always fun to dream and in that sense I would never say not to. Is the R worth double the money? Depends on what you’re wanting from a car overall. They both provide equal amounts of fun in different areas. Not a straight answer I know, but it truly comes down to life priorities. When I bought the R, it was the perfect purchase and I had been searching for a car like that for years and years. Things change, and now the STi is the perfect purchase and delivers on almost all of the requirements I had for an alternative. I do think it’s easier to be an STi owner after having owned the R though. Less “wondering” what Those other cars could be like and more of a “this is what i liked about the R” and now I know what I like about the STi.

Long rant over Haha. More than happy to answer any other questions or just expand on the ownership experience as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Awesome reply and thanks for taking the time to write it up! You made some greats observations, that I've been wondering:

It’s more refined, it communicates everything from the road, it sounds glorious, steering is wild heavy, the seats are real sport seats, seating position is better, it’s a laser wherever you point it, and the grip is out of this world.
This sounds like everything I hoped the Cayman to be. The stock STI sound is lacking to my ears, however I despise overly loud exhausts, I like a "Tuned" exhaust sound.

It’s less exhausting to have fun in the STi and it’s limits are lower. To me the higher the limits, sometimes the harder to have fun. The power band is literally flipped compared to the R.
This is my biggest fear when thinking about moving to a more powerful platform than the STI. I will never track my cars so I want to be able to push the car on the street without going to jail.

They both provide equal amounts of fun in different areas.
This makes perfect sense to me as they are such different cars, but it's good to know the STI is still a fun car.

I think I'll keep Dreaming and maybe one day I can swing a Cayman as my weekend car. I'm really interested in the new 718 since they are bringing back the Flat 6. It sounds like the STI is still a good choice as an economical daily and maybe I'll start tinkering with it a bit to help keep my interest.

Looking forward to see what exhaust choice you go with!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Beautiful car. Love that you are planning to use the OEM STi Suspension parts. You will be amazed once you have everything installed. The STi engineers definitely did their homework on suspension tuning

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful car. Love that you are planning to use the OEM STi Suspension parts. You will be amazed once you have everything installed. The STi engineers definitely did their homework on suspension tuning
Thank you!
I’ve always been a huge OEM+ build enthusiast where I can be.

Very much looking forward to having a fun little project again. Hoping to pick up some of the JDM suspension pieces in the next few months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts