IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to have this engine in my car hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I just wanted to start a thread in the engine/power/perf forum so I could do a running commentary on the engine break in and later the performance output of the engine....

The engine will consist of the following items:
Axis Power Racing stg III engine
Built EJ257
-CP forged pistons with Swain Tech coat
-Oliver forged rods
-Clevite rod bearings
-Axis modified crank balanced/blueprinted with 8500 RPM rev limit
-ARP head studs
-Kelford cams
-STi RA valvesprings
-OEM STi heads & head gaskets
-OEM STi sleeves

In particular, I'm curious how this car will perform in the higher RPMs. The cams should help alot and it should make power all the way to the soft redline of 8K. Won't know for sure until it's broke in and tuned though.

Last - Axis Power Racing is soooo easy to deal with. The knowledge, honesty, and hard work have been awesome.

More to come soon.....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Be sure to copy this over in the "built motor" forum too, Surf. I can't wait to read about this - what are you gonna do for putting boost to that creature?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got such a good deal on an EWG SR55 setup that I couldn't pass it up. I'm spending so much on engine stuff that it was nice to find a cheap solution for a bigger turbo (formerly was running a 20G). I will use the SR55 and see how far it takes me. When my funds aren't so depleted I may go with something bigger, but we'll see.

With this engine the SR55 should be a monster street turbo. It will probably be spooled somewhere in the neighborhood of 4K. That will give me good power from 4K - 8K if the cams help up top like I think they will. Should be pretty decent for a street and road course turbo....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE

Engine install will occur on Oct 13th & 14th. :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That is awesome man. I am really looking forward to checking out your updates.

How deep did you have to reach in your pocket for all this or better asked, how much do you have planned to spend on this??

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I paid list price. $4050 for the stage III shortblock.

Then there is labor and all the other stuff I got - cams, oil cooler, fuel system, new turbo config, blah, blah, blah...

I spent ALOT for all the changes that are being made.

·
Registered
162 Posts
sweet

keep us posted surf, it sounds like a serious street tool! you might need a chute:lol:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL... I don't think I'll need a chute, but it should be pretty potent in the power department.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**UPDATE**

The engine is in. Ron just needs to finish running the stainless steel fuel lines and the stainless steel oil cooler lines and it should be done.

I will post back with another update tomorrow night. Hopefully with a report of how the engine is running. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Great news!! Hope everything works out well, i'll be watching this closely too cuz axis is gonna be one of my top 3 built motors to go with..

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This engine is soooo smooth.

Just put the first 40 miles on it and it's running awesome!

I must say the ACT 6 puck is way, way more streetable than I thought it would be. I LOVE it. I killed it the very first time I tried to take off with it and after that is was all good. Not very hard to push in and the engagement is not as "on/off" like as I thought it would be. It's def grabby, but still pretty easy to drive.

Besides the clutch, I have the Cusco engine mounts on and they really make you feel the engine and what it's doing more than the stock mounts. I like them alot too.

And the engine... The engine feels like a stock engine. I can't say enough with how pleased I am with the way the engine is running. It idles a tad high due to the cams (950 - 1050 RPMs) but I don't mind that at all. After the first 15 seconds you don't even notice it anymore. Also, I can't believe how smoothly it runs with the cams. I'm serious when I say that this engine feels EXACTLY like a stock engine. In fact, I would say it's smoother than my OEM EJ257. After all this down time I'm so loving the fact that my car is driveable again. After driving a LeSabre and a Monte Carlo the car feels like a damn rocket even without boost.

Oh yeah, this SR55 is something else. I think it's gonna be alot more responsive than I thought. it's hard to stay outa boost even just running spring pressure. The car revs a little quicker so I gotta be careful. Then when I shut off the car and get out, the turbine sits there and spins for about 30+ seconds. So cool...

Anyway, can you tell I'm excited to have my car back running??? I could go on and on...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked the fluids. All is good. :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Keep us posted !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
congrats! nice choice with the engine, glad to hear everything is working out. ditch the sr for a 35R, haha!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
burnin4 said:
congrats! nice choice with the engine, glad to hear everything is working out. ditch the sr for a 35R, haha!
Thanks for the congrats man.

I might ditch the SR55 - who knows... Won't be sure if I want to keep it until I get it tuned. If it under-achieves I will probably look for alternatives. Honestly though, it feels as though it's going to be pretty darn responsive. If it's responsive and puts out more power than a green then I probably will keep it... At least for a while until the power bug bites me. I got such a darn steal on the turbo I might as well run it for at least a little bit to see what she's got. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm up to 75 miles now. All is good.

I'll probably stop doing mile by mile status posts now. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This was a great engine the time I owned it. I sold the car in March and as far as I know the buyer is still using the engine and loves it. Last time I had an email exchage with him was a couple months ago.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts