IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'll also start work on my air to water setup--cutting out the spare tire tub and sticking a radiator under the rear of the car, plus setting up tank, pump and lines... Then figuring out the air to water mounting.
Hey, wanted to mention this earlier, and maybe I did, if you need help with getting anything TIG welded let me know. I can basically guarantee I'm cheaper than anyone else.

Also, sorry to see about the engine... :-(

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
If it's the amsoil dominator coolant boost. The website says to use water with less than 25ppm chlorine or 50/50 distilled water+coolant but NO distilled water alone. So I guess it really requires coolant to prevent corrosion.
I used non-chlorinated water :(

Hey, wanted to mention this earlier, and maybe I did, if you need help with getting anything TIG welded let me know. I can basically guarantee I'm cheaper than anyone else.
Thanks, but I have a friend that helps me with the stuff I can't do (Aluminum).

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I used non-chlorinated water :(

Thanks, but I have a friend that helps me with the stuff I can't do (Aluminum).
I'm sorry this happens to you and I'm not saying u are the one to blame. I'm just saying based on amsoils description their product most probably necessitates ethyl glycol or some other coolant (from my understanding, correct me if im wrong, english is my 3rd language).

1. No distilled water to be used
2. Yet no water with chlorine of more than 25ppm
3. Can be used with distilled water if it's mixed with coolant

They could have said "Must be mixed with coolant" though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Any idea why the Pistons and walls got bit?
Not yet... Gotta double check some measurements. TBH, I think I effed up and had debris in the oil system (long story). Not sure what to make of the WPC (wear) on the wrist pins, unless related to oil.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
WOW, this sucks bawls. I'm glad I just stick with regular coolant that isn't Dex-Cool for cars.

Hopefully AMSOIL will help you out on this one.
Funny enough, I wanted to do straight water for increased cooling efficiency but after installing oil cooler and getting rid of the oem oil "cooler, " the load on my cooling system had gone down noticeably. So, no need. I'm back to Subaru blue.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Engine is stripped and being cleaned. No significant damage to cylinders, so a quick hone and new rings, and I should be good. Pistons will go out to SwainTech to get skirts re-coated. Rod (wrist) need honing and wrist pins need polishing.

Other than that, I have a full gasket kit and bearings ready to go...though I think I want to WPC bearings and rings, again.

Taking a break from the engine to work on other things. Replacing the last of the suspension bushings that haven't been done yet, and taking the opportunity to repaint ALL subframe/suspension components. Whiteline Anti-Lift showed up like this...sent it back but don't understand what's going on (spacer/shaft was rusted and marred up)...

I picked up a Perrin rear diff cover, since I'll have everything out, anyway.

Then, I'm working on re-wiring gauges--bought Molex and Deutsch connector kits.

I upgraded my dash cam (to BlackVue DR650GW Dual Channel) and added a GPS tracker.

And lastly, ordered my Air to Water setup, so that I can get the rear sheet metal work done, over the winter. Again, radiator is getting mounted in the rear bumper--going to flatten the trunk (spare tire tub go bye-bye).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sucks about the ALK. I ended up going with the SuperPro DuroBall with caster+. Geoff from Cygnus recommended it, so I figured why not. Might be something to look into instead.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #115

Sucks about the ALK. I ended up going with the SuperPro DuroBall with caster+. Geoff from Cygnus recommended it, so I figured why not. Might be something to look into instead.
Swapping, so I'll see how the replacement looks. But yes, I'm starting to look at SuperPro over whiteline for some remaining parts.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Waiting for adjustable toe arms (SuperPro), lateral links (Atomic fab adjustable) and Lower Control Arms (haven't ordered yet). Put factory parts on to get everything mounted up. Also waiting for diff gasket to show... Probably could reuse but I'm not in a hurry so I'd rather replace.

101 - 120 of 360 Posts