IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Been wanting to post this for awhile...

Back country road I've driven a million times, fairly flat, perfectly straight, never any deer or animals, not a car for 10 miles.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Yes, it's the '02 style pump.

Yes, Manley, Manley, Manley. Doing my "dream build" from the get-go..."one and done"
I can't say enough stellar things about Manley. Very well priced, very high quality parts with longevity :tup:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)

AVO Sway brackets (painted)...gald to see they work with the Whiteline subframe inserts. I don't quite understand how the Whiteline Sway support bar is supposed to help support the sway bar in the direction it needs...but if people are gullible enough to buy it, good for them.

Clutch brace installed

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Mock assmbled the valvetrain so I could get an idea of what I'm going to need for valve cups--all the cups I have are way too thick, so doing this without spending a ton of money on (unnecessary) cups is going to be fun....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Block, bearings, heads, cams, cam gears, valvetrain (valves, springs, retainers, keepers), oil pump, oil pickup, pistons (rings/pins/etc) and rods were dropped off for cryo yesterday.

Left out studs/block bolts and crank because they're already treated and I do not want to inadvertently affect their conditioning.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Updates to date...

Ordered quite a few things including;
- -AN lines and fittings (oil, coolant and P/S)
- P/S and Oil Coolers
- Exedy triple disc
- ACT monoloc collar, pilot bearing and throwout bearing
- Radiator hoses
- Battery box and disconnect
- Misc tools (ring filer, rod bolt stretch, and more)

Got everything back from cryo treating and sent the following to be WPC treated
- Crank
- Bearings (main and rod)
- Oil pump
- (piston) wrist pins
- (piston) rings
- camshafts

Had a guy trim 4 factory valve buckets so that I can get replacements sized (ordering a set of DPR WPC'd buckets.

Other than buckets, heads have been fully assembled, just forgot to get pics before wrapping them up...

Lastly, sent pistons out to be cramic coated--Swain Tech Gold Coat

Once WPC stuff comes back I'll have to balance the rotating assembly and I can FINALLY start assembling the engine. Looking to have it done in the next couple of weeks, and a fully functional car by June 1.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
DAmn thats going to be a stout motor. Very nice. I love that you have gone through the effort to make sure all the parts are treated. ITs going to be a great build.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Exedy triple with ACT monoloc

Earl's temp-a-cure for power steering... Don't know why oil cooler hasn't shown

·
Registered
143 Posts
Was a nice ride through your build progress, what bits I did understand haha. Having very little mechanical background myself, everything you are doing looks extremely daunting. At least for me, since I don't know what half the parts pictured are :lol:.

Unfortunately, in this lifetime, my profession rests in the pharmaceutical field. I wish I had the mechanical expertise to do something like this. Also, seeing some of the builds on here and the amount of money people spend.. :eek:. I thought I made decent money (yet still cringing when I think about the $5-7K I'm looking to spend this summer on some upgrades), until I saw builds like this and people talking about 3:1 ratios and such, haha, craziness! But if you are blessed enough to be able to afford that, the more power to you and I hope everything turns out good with the build!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
^ you don't need to go all out obviously. I myself don't have a lot of hands on type knowledge and experience.

I think, first identify what you want to do. All good shops can work around your budget and goals with good results.

Don't let this 3:1 ratio business discourage you.

Ps, sorry for hijacking.

41 - 60 of 353 Posts