·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Deleted HVAC
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Took >20lbs out of each seat mount...and I didn't really get any pics of them out of the car.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive lighting

Bought a second set of headlights, so that I could gut them, and use them for trackdays--wrapped in vinyl.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tired of the front bumper never "clicking" back into place, so I did a set of Move Over Racing bumper quick releases. Had purchased the quick releases with the intention of building brackets, but would rather not spend the time when this one seemed adequate.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Lastly, ordered a set of Konig Hypergrams (backordered, of course) and slicks

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Camera lens Tread

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 · (Edited)
Alright....showing my incompetence (story time).

Last year, I took the car out after sitting for a couple weeks, to find that any time I get on the power, the engine would rev to the moon and the car wouldn't go anywhere. It was a metallic-y, clutch slipping kind of sound. To this day, I will swear I could smell clutch material.

Over the winter, pulled the engine with the intention of rebuilding the clutch. As previously shown, there were hot spots, and some disc wear, but nothing that indicated the clutch was shot. The right front axle had a CV boot tear, that threw grease everywhere. I assumed maybe I got some grease in the discs. Cleaned everything up and put it back together.

This spring I took the car out for a quick spin. Still "slipping" like crazy. Also, still a metallic-y noise. Seems like clutch still slipping, but I keep trying to put some miles on it in case the clutch just needs to bed. After about 6 miles, as the trans fluid, etc, start to get warm, it gets to the point where the car won't even move, it's slipping so bad. There is no way it's the clutch...it's not even holding 100 lb-ft. Get it up on a lift and run through gears. With no load its slipping. Sounds like it's coming from the back of the trans, where the center diff is. Lock up the rears and the fronts mostly stop, with the engine still revving. At this point I conclude the center diff is effed and scramble to find a replacement with the intention of rebuilding mine.

After pulling mine out, I tore it down and didn't see any signs of high wear and definitely no hot-spotting I would expect to see with how much it would have had to be slipping. Figure, "what do I know." Put a used one in. In the meantime, I take my (Driveshaft Shop) carbon fiber driveshaft to a local shop to have them rebalance it--it threw the weights...they look at it for 5 seconds and go, "your driveshaft is twisted." I stare at the guy baffled..."what are you talking about, how can CF twist?"

He grabs a mallet and hits the yoke end that goes into the transmission and it half pops out...."your yoke isn't bonded to the shaft anymore. These DSS driveshafts are garbage."

Eff me. The whole time, the effing yoke has been spinning inside the tube. Explains everything...and I feel like an effin idiot. They're building me a new CF shaft for a fraction of the price DSS is charging, and they can rivet the balance weights on, so they can't come off.

Adding DSS to my shit list...good times. :confused:

Dust and "witness" wear from spinning, that they caught instantly. Didn't get pics at the shop.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exhaust Rim Fender

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Just realized, as of last week, I will have had the car for 9 stress-filled years. Would love to move onto something else but have a hard time walking away from the money, and most importantly, time I've stuck into this thing.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just realized, as of last week, I will have had the car for 9 stress-filled years. Would love to move onto something else but have a hard time walking away from the money, and most importantly, time I've stuck into this thing.
i completely get that, i have had points where ive debated going to some sort of honda that is N/A so i can track the car and have alot less to worry about reliability wise, but i cant seem to bring myself to sell/walk away from the STi, it's just so fun, even with the money and headache ive thrown at it lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jeeze that driveshaft story is nuts. I would've never thought to check that based on the symptoms.

I have a similar stress-filled relationship with a motorcycle. Nostalgia is a bitch!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
8 years for me, and man do I feel this. Sometimes I think about getting a new daily and just using the Subaru in the winter when the weather is bad but then something always brings me back in.

Part of it is the car market right now, I'd love a Chevy C10 but I'd also love an F80 M3. Polar opposites ofcourse. Almost bought a 1991 940 Volvo last week but passed on it. So yeah, not even sure what I'm doing at the moment.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Holy shit how did I miss this thread.... 👀
This thing looks amazing.
Thanks. Turns out my Konig's were delivered, and never got any notices...

We picked up a tire machine and balancer over the winter, so I no longer have to deal with scumbag tire shops. Got the RE71r's pulled off the Enkei wheels, and got the Proxes RR's back on. Then put the RE71r's onto the Konigs, which works out, because I needed to flip them inside-out, anyway.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

Automotive tire Product Automotive design Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Light Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Finishing up ducting for the CAC rads. Just used some cardboard to get the general shape--cut out the plastic and heat gunned it into the proper shape. Got them adhered and finishing up some sanding before wrapping to match. Eventually need to rewrap the whole bumper but have no desire to do it now. Also, working on replacing the lip...turns out traffic cones at 80mph are kinda heavy.

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
152 Posts
After seeing how much space I have between the calipers, I really wish I had tried 17's now. I feel like they'd fit. I could fit a lug nut between the barrel and caliper. lol

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Again, eff DSS

Tool Nickel Gas Composite material Cylinder

And wheels.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Will have to see about rears. With current camber setup, it might be about 2mil too aggressive and don't really want to pull fenders any more than I already have.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Went to GridLife Midwest a couple weeks ago. Got to see/hear the FormulaSupra and Rob Dahm's 4 Rotor, IRL. Both are amazing sounding cars

Track day at Autobahn the Sunday after, and having issues with fueling. I didn't get a chance to test out the slicks, and I didn't feel like pulling the pump at the track (though, ironically, bought a spare just in case, as I'm due for a failure).

Welp, it was my old nemesis back again...gotta assume it's something with adding 2CO to the fuel. But the pumps/car are happier with it, so IDK.

Shoe White Textile Bag Jewellery

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
Track day at RPM yesterday. CAC water pump was being a POS, so not a very good time.

First time with the slicks...not impressed but assume I have issues with setup. Car had no issues with turn-in at Autobahn, but absolutely would not turn at RPM. Had a couple offs. Decided to put the RE71Rs back on, to see if the tires were an issue. Had an off with them (ie, still no grip)....and broke a wheel. Guess the Konigs are not strong enough for track work.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
9,217 Posts
Ouch!

I got invited to that event. I believe one of my customers was the one who rented the track. Had to do a quick adjustment tune on his street STi as he ordered an incorrect part for his track STi.

I'll get out there this year. Just need to get this move behind me... Been hell...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Ouch!

I got invited to that event. I believe one of my customers was the one who rented the track. Had to do a quick adjustment tune on his street STi as he ordered an incorrect part for his track STi.

I'll get out there this year. Just need to get this move behind me... Been hell...
I won't be going back out. Last month, they did some really shoddy patch work to the track. My (and everyone else's) car/wheels were full of/covered in tar and Asphalt.

They fixed that for this month but off turn three there's a 1 foot washout that hasn't been filled in...this is where I lost my wheel. Ran wide out the exit and just off the kerb. Haven't looked the car over to see if anything else is bent but it was a soul crushingly hard hit. The owner clearly doesn't want to stick any money into this place and I'm not beating my car up because of it.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
152 Posts
Track day at RPM yesterday. CAC water pump was being a POS, so not a very good time.

First time with the slicks...not impressed but assume I have issues with setup. Car had no issues with turn-in at Autobahn, but absolutely would not turn at RPM. Had a couple offs. Decided to put the RE71Rs back on, to see if the tires were an issue. Had an off with them (ie, still no grip)....and broke a wheel. Guess the Konigs are not strong enough for track work.

View attachment 66529

View attachment 66530

View attachment 66531
Wow any particularly hard impacts on any of those offs? Seems pretty weird for it to crack after just a couple offs since they are a pretty popular track wheel. I'd probably contact them and see whats up about getting a replacement with so little use. Obviously based on the warranty words of "off road use" they don't have to cover it but maybe they'd goodwill it with the wheels being so new?

401 - 420 of 421 Posts