IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Re: awenthol's 2013 - Failed Ringland Rebuild in Progress -Manley Rotating, Benson Sl

[/QUOTE]And in ridiculously depressing news, I'm only a few grand away from having spent the same amount in mods as I bought the car for :(. Can't imagine how brutal this would be having someone else do the labor.[/QUOTE]

Nice project. :tup:

That...is ..quite normal around here. Just wait till the ratio is like 3:1 :D
Thats were the fun begins.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: awenthol's 2013 - Failed Ringland Rebuild in Progress -Manley Rotating, Benson Sl

I hear ya...had no intentions of keeping it stock but throught I'd have at least two years to play with it as (hate the terminology, but) "Stage 2" before getting this far in. I have mods mapped out to spring 2016, and I'm looking at another ~$15k.

BTW, you have a hell of a build :tup:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

I hear ya...had no intentions of keeping it stock but throught I'd have at least two years to play with it as (hate the terminology, but) "Stage 2" before getting this far in. I have mods mapped out to spring 2016, and I'm looking at another ~$15k.

BTW, you have a hell of a build :tup:
Yeah fair enough. Good thing with our cars is that they are like LEGO, just bigger more expensive and way more fun :D

Thanks for the complement. Appreciate it :tup:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice project. :tup:

Groan.. :rolleyes: I'm already reaching over the 3:1 mark.. :eek: however I did get all the work done by the shop and nearly done as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
A friend from work does heads in his spare time. He finally had an opening to start on mine so I headed over yesterday. Got everything measured and torn down. Started grinding the exhaust seat only to find the seats aren't big enough for the 33mm valves, so going to have to wait until they come in. However, we did get the valve bores opened up for the Kelford cams, and I left him after confirming the intake valve seats had enough material.

Lesson learned: there is a HUGE flow improvement to be gained with OEM size valves, doing nothing more than a radius valve job and porting....hindsight is 20/20.

OEM valve job/36mm valve on the left, 37mm + ACTUAL valve job on the right. Both exhaust are at 33mm, and you can see the seat has no material left in the deck.

Truing up valves

Redneck'd -- used a die grinder and then just cleaned them up afterwords. Didn't see a point to machining them

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got the trans back in...and decided to go with Torque Solutions trans mount, since I had everything apart. Well, aside from it not being installable without separating it (bushing bolts interfere with trans cap screws), I found that they powder coated over rusty parts (paint started peeling like crazy. Sent them an email and haven't heard back.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Today's theme is cams...

Blueprinted my Kelford cams to find that the second intake lobe for every cylinder is 0.030" shorter than the rest. Kelford got back to me saying their testing showed better performance (swirl) with the mis-matched lift, so they incorporated it in their production cams. Said I was one of the few to actually notice :D

After reading the NASIOC thread on cam failures, I decided to modify the Kelfords to more closely match the lobe position (ie valve cup rotation) to the factory cams, clean up the castings and cut some weight (which I managed to do quite a bit of).

My calc's show spring load + rotational torque shouldn't be a problem with the modification to the base shaft diameter...but I did have to make some assumptions on material strength.

Before

During/After

Cams will get cryo-treated, then possibly have them coated...haven't decided.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How much diameter did you machine away?
Varies--the cams themselves were different (intake to intake, exhaust to exhaust) and throughout the shaft, they were quite varied. For some spots, I only took a couple hundredths whereas others, I took 3/10's +.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A couple more pics--around the journals, before and during

Also got wiring sorted out. Power goes directly to the proper post in the fuse box, and I did a new power cable to the starter (old one goes directly to the battery). Did a distribution block for negative, since I will be "over-grounding" the car and don't want it completely half-assed.

One neg to fender, per factory mounting.
One neg to starter mounting
One neg to alternator

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got the trans back in...and decided to go with Torque Solutions trans mount, since I had everything apart. Well, aside from it not being installable without separating it (bushing bolts interfere with trans cap screws), I found that they powder coated over rusty parts (paint started peeling like crazy. Sent them an email and haven't heard back.

Image Link

Image Link

Torque Solution sent me half of a new mount (not whole thing--IMO, BS--and made me pay shipping for it). Tested the new part and the powder coating is peeling and the part is corroded underneath. They told me they're not replacing/refunding/taking back the part. POS company...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Subscribed.

I like what you did with the fuel lines, it looks really solid. Just out of curiosity, when does it become important to change the lines that go from the pump to the regulator ? I was planning on doing just pump, injectors and going to a parallel setup but otherwise keeping everything else stock.

Anyway looks pretty good ! Looking forward to see how things turn out.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Torque Solution sent me half of a new mount (not whole thing--IMO, BS--and made me pay shipping for it). Tested the new part and the powder coating is peeling and the part is corroded underneath. They told me they're not replacing/refunding/taking back the part. POS company...
I appreciate the info. I had Torque Solutions on the list of possibilities. I'd like to keep my stock motor and trans mounts until I get a new motor built. I know the group N is good stuff at a great price but am tempted by the aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Subscribed.

I like what you did with the fuel lines, it looks really solid. Just out of curiosity, when does it become important to change the lines that go from the pump to the regulator ? I was planning on doing just pump, injectors and going to a parallel setup but otherwise keeping everything else stock.

Anyway looks pretty good ! Looking forward to see how things turn out.
I don't know if there's a "magic HP number" but keep in mind, the factory system is 5/16" from the tank to the firewall...-6AN is 3/8" ID, which is 44% larger area--huge bump is flow capacity. I would think anything over 400hp (flywheel) you'd want at least 3/8".

I do know that the Shelby Mustangs ('13-'14) have no issues running ~800hp flywheel (E85, even) with 3/8" line and enough fuel pump.

I appreciate the info. I had Torque Solutions on the list of possibilities. I'd like to keep my stock motor and trans mounts until I get a new motor built. I know the group N is good stuff at a great price but am tempted by the aftermarket.
Yeah, I'm sure Group-N would be a lot more than I'd ever need, but figured WTH, already got this much dumped into the car...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Head shots

No material out of combustion chamber. Not sure if I'll need to. Truth be told, I hadn't ordered the crank yet, but it's on it's way now...so rods/pistons are here and I'll be able to mock everything up/verify compression ratio.

I was playing around with the factory crank--plastigauging the King XPG bearings (perfect 0.0015" clearance, all the way around. Will (obviously) have to redo when the Manley crank shows.

I'm now--very seriously--considering pinning the sleeves and doing some ceramic coating on valve faces and piston heads. Before ceramic, though, everything is going to be cryo'd.

21 - 40 of 353 Posts