IW STi Forum banner

281 - 300 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Have had a few things going on since my last update...

1) overheating caused by deletion of the heater core(?). I originally blocked everything off but then ended up looping the coolant lines together in my diagnostic efforts. I then struggled with an air pocket that I couldn't get out. Finally fixed that and replaced t-stat at the same time. All said and done, I'm not sure if it was just the t-stat, since it was a "little rough".

Anybody "delete" the heater core successfuly? I already have the oil cooler line deleted so deleting the heater lines means I'm only pulling from the dearation tank.

2) Replaced the garbage little Bosch water pump with the Meziere unit and the flow through the CAC is better but still not where it should be. I'm going to have to go to bigger lines (currently 5/8").

3) Replaced spark plugs (proactive) with the same NGK p/n I've been using forever. Did a couple lug pulls for data logging. After that, anything over 10 psi boost would start spitting/sputtering/backfiring/cut out.

Pulled plugs and they looked okay and the gaps were fine (initially thought it couldn't spark). Put new plugs in and it runs fine... Very odd.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Have had a few things going on since my last update...

1) . . . Anybody "delete" the heater core successfuly? I already have the oil cooler line deleted so deleting the heater lines means I'm only pulling from the dearation tank.

2) Replaced the garbage little Bosch water pump with the Meziere unit and the flow through the CAC is better but still not where it should be. I'm going to have to go to bigger lines (currently 5/8").
You mean not pulling any coolant from de-airration tank?

5/8 is a good size garden hose! How much flow can you need? Water carries so much more energy than air! Course you don't want it's temp to rise, but you have to accept some . . .

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I don't think it was pulling enough coolant from the dearation tank to open the thermostat but when it had the extra flow from the heat 4 line it would open up....

I agree 5/8 should be enough but there's quite a bit of head loss to the CAC. I guess I need to see what FMIC guys are seeing for IAT. I didn't pay close attention with my tmic

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Just check that water temp (reservoir) isn't hot though, that's not a flow issue, and that the difference between inlet and outlet isn't large. A hand check won't me good for recording data, but it will inform you if water flow us an issue.

IAT is related but, not necessity / probably not a flow issue.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #285 (Edited)
I welded the IWG shut using just a couple tack welds so that all I'd have to do is break them if I ever wanted to sell the turbo as IWG...welp, welds weren't strong enough. I got about 3k miles on them before the heat/pressure was enough to break them. I've been driving around a NA STi for a couple days and is that an experience...

Pics unrelated. Thermocouple wires will be coming out shortly...tune is looking "more better" but still has a little tweaking needed.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
We put a decent sized stitch on them. I don't recall the filler wire spec, (and I'm on vaca right now), but it's specific to the materials used. We've not seen a failure. The downside is that the housing needs to be replaced... but they are cheap.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Updates on the air to water... Haven't had much time to diagnose but I'm not getting the performance I was expecting. Part of this is that the water is not getting cold enough and it's because my exhaust is right in front of the scoop. I've tried multiple wraps and shields but I think the final solution is going to be exhaust re-routing.

I had an incident a couple months back where I cut a corner a little short during some spirited driving and kicked up rock into the radiator. I could hear it rattling around when the fans are on but didn't think it would be an issue. Welp....

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Looks like damage from more than 1 rock . . .

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Looks like damage from more than one rock . . .

Who makes that radiator, it's horrible. THAT is 90% of your problem :/
Chris, are you saying that because of all the bar area?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Chris, are you saying that because of all the bar area?
I'm saying it because it's not a radiator; IE; heat exchanger designed specifically for thermal transfer from liquid to ambient airflow. True Water-to-Air exchangers look like a radiator for a reason... it is a radiator ;)

While there are difference between an engine cooling system radiator and intercooler radiator, they are MUCH more similar than A/A compared to W/A.

That thing looks like an intercooler that has water flowing through it, which would be horribly inefficient given the thermal properties of liquid vs air.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well this was an awesome few hour read at work now I'm done. More updates! I dream of building out my 2012 like yours. I have 52k and no ringland failure should I consider it safe?

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
I'm saying it because it's not a radiator; IE; heat exchanger designed specifically for thermal transfer from liquid to ambient airflow. True Water-to-Air exchangers look like a radiator for a reason... That thing looks like an intercooler that has water flowing through it, which would be horribly inefficient given the thermal properties of liquid vs air.
M
I belive we agree. The part that seemed telltale to me were the bars.
It should not be difficult to find an appropriately sized rafiator either. There are parts from cars, motor cycles, rvs, and machinery to choose from.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Alright... Final update. Done with the STi and have moved onto new projects. It's been fun...a good learning experience but I have come to realize that it'll never be what I'm looking for. I ended up buying a 335d and have started work on it (tune, deletes, etc). Buying a used car sucks--there's a lot of maintenance but this engine is worth it. I came from diesel...going back to diesel.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Well this was an awesome few hour read at work now I'm done. More updates! I dream of building out my 2012 like yours. I have 52k and no ringland failure should I consider it safe?
I see photobucket.com killed my pic hosting... You didn't go through all of this without pictures, did you!?

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
Photobucket killed forums everywhere.

Alright... Final update. Done with the STi and have moved onto new projects. It's been fun...a good learning experience but I have come to realize that it'll never be what I'm looking for. I ended up buying a 335d and have started work on it (tune, deletes, etc). Buying a used car sucks--there's a lot of maintenance but this engine is worth it. I came from diesel...going back to diesel.
So did you sell the car?

If it's not a sports car, I love diesel. Better mileage, more torque to do work things, and the motors are just built much stronger. I really enjoyed my truck, but since I had to get rid of it for a 4x4, I can say that I am also happy with my Jeep diesel. It tows pretty well, but not quiet as easy as the truck did.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
So did you sell the car?
No...I realize I was being awfully dramatic. I didn't and will never sell this car, just need a break from it for awhile.

------------------------

If anyone is actually interested (a little change of pace)--picked up a 2011 335d Sport. Flew to Houston and drove it back to Michigan. By the time I made it back, I finally understood all the fuss about BMW's. The car is amazing. For bone stock, it cornered and rode far better than my stock STi, plus had full comforts/conveniences and is infinitely quieter. All around build is far superior.

Managed a tank at 37mpg, too. But, that wasn't good enough, especially when it was *only* mid-low 30's during "normal" driving. Before I even made it home, I had deletes, exhaust, and a whole mess of stuff ordered.

Intake off to delete swirl flaps, clean out soot, and gain easier access to that cute little EGR cooler.

Next was DOC/DPF/NOx cat...NOx cat was in the cat-back (which was one piece) so the full exhaust was replaced. The plan for this year is to re-purpose the DEF tank for Water/Meth.

After all that, I did a bunch of PMs--all fluids, brake lines, pads, rotors, water pump, tensioner, t-stat, belts, etc.

To date, the worst I've managed is a tank around 32mpg (city driving, a lot of idle). Typically it's in the high 30's and when I get it out on the interstate for long drives, it's well over 40 mpg. Factoring in that it has just shy of 400hp and over 625 lb-ft (wheel), it's an absolute blast.

281 - 300 of 360 Posts