IW STi Forum banner

241 - 260 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I wouldn't bother running the water lines. There's plenty of airflow on that area to keep it well within operating temps. The coolant lines are there for extremely confined spaces with low/no airflow like on a Porsche. On a Subaru you're adding an unnecessary opportunity for a leak. Plus I've seen a couple Tials leak coolant, even if your lines/fittings are good.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Thanks for the info... Since I closed off the scoop, I figured I'd have little air flow in that area, and since I already have the coolant near by I figured "why not."

I will leave it alone for now and revisit when I finally have more power.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
NP. I have a closed scoop on GD, and on the low mount FA engines they are between manifold, turbine and j-pipe with a full OEM bellypan (little airflow) and no issues. With the issues I've seen WITH using the cooling, it just makes no sense unless you absolutely have to. To date, we've never had a single Tial issue when not using the water lines, and we've used a crap ton of them

On the Porsche setups they are surrounded by manifold, turbine and exhaust, with pretty much zero airflow.

I used them the first time for the same reason; they are there so why not :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
I can't weld aluminum but I did at least get the ports made for IAT bung and BOV flange. Need to shorten the flange a bit, but otherwise, good to drop off for welding. It should go without saying but I don't need "shiny" under the hood, so I will be blasting and painting it matte black...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Smallest volume CAC system possible, that can still support 700 crank HP (my goal is an absolutely reliable 500whp). It'll be a short little elbow from the turbo into the CAC...No regrets here. The cooler weighs about what the stock top mount does. The weight of the water lines will be negligible and low to the ground. The radiator is a little on the heavy side but I cut a bunch of weight out of the rear in the process.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
That lineup on the hotside has me feeling a certain type of way. Very nice
I've seen other people do some pretty cobbled looking setups, when I was researching. That said, after I laid out my plans and found the cooler I was going to use, I did find someone else had the same idea.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm just saying, I'd definitely go the coupler route. But that's because I can't weld and it's the only way I'd know how to do it myself. haha

241 - 260 of 360 Posts