IW STi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Damn, is that a KB ver1 header? I would ping Chris on that as they replace the old collector with the new one, and if you're the original purchaser, it should be under warranty.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Damn, is that a KB ver1 header? I would ping Chris on that as they replace the old collector with the new one, and if you're the original purchaser, it should be under warranty.
Sent a message Friday... Haven't heard back. Wouldn't be their responsibility anyway, as I had a cylinder running rich. Probably going to have local guy take a stab at it. If all else fails, have KB fix it...Local guy is skeptical that he's going to be able to repair it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Most everything is repairable, but at what cost. The new collector design is supposed to flow better, also.

But that was a common failure AFAIK. Mine started cracking, but I caught it before it got to that point.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #224 (Edited)

One of the cam buckets had some Brinelling/cavitation... Not sure what that's about but I did have a spare, so I replaced it. Looks like I'll need to teardown next year to keep tabs on everything.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Rich is cooler unless it is a diesel. That header should have stood up to slightly cooler EGT's.
Yes, but when there is no flex coupling, the temp differential at the collector is going to put an extreme load on the joints, yes?

Three cylinders glowing red hot and one that's just sort of, "meh" is a recipe for disaster....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Most everything is repairable, but at what cost. The new collector design is supposed to flow better, also.

But that was a common failure AFAIK. Mine started cracking, but I caught it before it got to that point.
His concern is weakened material/carboning of the steel.

·
Super Moderator
8,389 Posts
Considering how high the temps get, the difference isn't all that large. The collector is the part that gets the hottest, collectively, and it's all merged very closely in this setup.

This type of stuff happens, sometimes from fueling, flow, uneven water/meth or N2O distribution, etc. That's why you buy the KillerB. :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Considering how high the temps get, the difference isn't all that large. The collector is the part that gets the hottest, collectively, and it's all merged very closely in this setup.

This type of stuff happens, sometimes from fueling, flow, uneven water/meth or N2O distribution, etc. That's why you buy the KillerB. :)
Regardless...is what it is. Will get it fixed one way or another. Adding thermocouples to all of the cylinders anyway. The one that was rich was the one Pyro was plugged into... Go figure.

Also interesting that I wasn't seeing power loss or issues with spool up. I need a bigger turbo...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Not sure I've ever posted my battery relocation. Built a little switch panel for rear rad fans, water pump and fuel pump (joined the bandwagon and hard wired 10 gauge). Also, put a switch in so I can turn the fuel pump on manually, for things like draining the tank (every spring, to put fresh fuel in). Display and dial are a fan controller (pwm).

Had red needle gauges (before defi released the white needle)... It's finally bothered me enough that I said screw it and swapped them out

Killer B finally got back to me. Going to just have them swap in the cast collector and get and EWG on the up-pipe.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Good move on the KB stuff. New collector is a lot better designed.
The nice weather was making me anxious... I wanted to get it back together and start driving again...im sure I'm looking at a few weeks to get everything back from KB

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Shit, the had it done the day they got it, and then had it turned around and shipped (I only had them do the new collector). Total time <5 days.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
The back of my rear seat delete looks like crap so please ignore (will get it fixed in due time).

Added "TinyDTC" temperature differential controller. One temp gauge goes outside the pressure vent in the rear bumper. The other will be in the coolant tank. When the (CAC) coolant temp is x° hotter than ambient, it kicks on all of the rad fans. Right now it's set to 4° because I'm not sure where it needs to be but I'll get there this summer. Otherwise, just one fan is always running on PWM, just to ensure some air flow.

Just waiting for header and throttle body to show up, so I can get the engine back in. I also have TiAL MVS and QR (EWG and BOV) en route. I started modifying the CAC today--got IAT drilled/tapped and started work on BOV flange.

221 - 240 of 354 Posts