IW STi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Not much in the way of updates but I recently took a Project Engineer role for an automotive Tier 1 in SW Michigan... Hauled the car out and got situated.

Still have major oil leakage and what I thought was from the turbo drain may actually be rear main. Cam is still leaking. Going to pull the engine and fix everything. Starting to wonder if the exhaust venturi can keep up under all conditions, and maybe I'm building crank pressure (blow seal out). So, I'm going to put a check valve and VTA if crank pressure exceeds atmospheric. Then I'm going to plump in a temporary gauge to monitor crank pressure.

Working on the tune, slowly but surely.

Advanced keys stopped working after the rewire, so I still need to fix that... Though I'm confident the actual module took a crap.

Wheels showed, so those will get tires mounted tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Can't get better pics until the engine is back in and I can roll it outside. Pretty sure front is going to rub on lower control arm.

Miles of Brake clearance

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Oil leaks fixed... Too much crankcase pressure and it blew the seals out. Vibrant e-vac is not doing its job and I'm the idiot that didn't get a vac gauge on it to confirm it's pulling vac through entire range. Temporarily band-aided my breather system.

Wheels fit perfectly. No rubbing anywhere. Grip like I've never felt in my life.

Before anyone asks, I'm waiting to do a turbo before I install the air to water setup. I need to be able to clock the compressor housing for piping. Earliest will be late summer but it will likely be a winter project.

Coilovers are next, to fix saggy butt. Then axles, then turbo.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Haven't decided yet. Wasn't looking for big HP and I wanted to keep peak torque below 4k rpm (and ideally over 500lb-ft wheel)...but with these cams, that's probably not going to happen. If it looks feasible (when I get it on a dyno), I'll do a GTX3076. If not, I'll just go ahead with a GTX3582 and bump Rev limit to something like 8500rpm.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Haven't decided yet. Wasn't looking for big HP and I wanted to keep peak torque below 4k rpm (and ideally over 500lb-ft wheel)...but with these cams, that's probably not going to happen. If it looks feasible (when I get it on a dyno), I'll do a GTX3076. If not, I'll just go ahead with a GTX3582 and bump Rev limit to something like 8500rpm.
Mmmmm GTX. Stock location or rotated? From what I've seen from the different dyno graphs, the torque comes in earlier.

It's hard to really gauge it, obviously, because setups/dyno's are different. But it's something I'm acutely paying attention to as well, being that I'm stock heads/cams.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #207 (Edited)
Stock location. And when I say below 4k, I mean to say below 3500ish--where it was before blowing up. Was awesome having that kind of torque on tap, in traffic.

Their dyno was clearly garbage but my butt dyno said low end was good.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Stock location. And when I say below 4k, I mean to say below 3500ish--where it was before blowing up. Was awesome having that kind of torque on tap, in traffic.

Their dyno was clearly garbage but my butt dyno said low end was good.

Image Link
Exactly, I want that low end torque as well, it's just more fun.

That looks like 429 torque at like 3.2k?!?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That's dream worthy. LOL I can't even fathom that much so quick, at the moment. But I know what you mean by wanting more, it's always a battle of wanting more. At least for me it is.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I figured out what you should do... Sell your stock location GTX3067R to me and buy the new turbo.

:rofl:

I put a lot of thought into that solution. lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I'm still on stock turbo... Pushing it to its limits, so we'll see how long it lasts. I have plenty of other things I'd like to take care of before a turbo.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Had the chance to do a test and tune at US131 drag strip, Friday. Temps were in the 90's and IAT's were over 140°F, so naturally my times were embarrassing. But, got the chance to beat on it and nothing broke (surprising).

Was able to roll it over a scale to find I'm sitting at 3120lbs, with 3/4 tank of fuel. Was expecting less but at least I know where I'm at. Want to be under 3000 but I don't really want to completely gut the interior. Not sure what I have left for "big loss" but I know I have quite a bit of weight that will go back on with the air to water...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Not much for updates. Finally got around to a track day...i'm extreme newb, yet, so my lines are garbage. Also, dash cam cuts out once in a while but can't complain for dash cam quality video.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Miscellaneous updates...

1) put the car away for the winter
2) Full detail
3) Stripped all arms, sways, links, etc to grease bushings
4) Fixed some interior wiring
5) Cleaned up some front end wiring (horns, light ballasts)
6) Painted mufflers
7) Beefed up the factory fender braces. Don't like how the GTSpec and Summit braces add so much unnecessary weight and rigidity where the car needs none...
8) Started and still working on rear seat delete
9) Started and still working on air-to-water.
10) Heat shields for ball joints and tie rod ends (deleted heavy factory dust shields)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Damn, You've been busy!

I'm curious about the fender braces, I like the idea of retaining the stock ones. I debated about just making my own as well, didn't really think about just triangulating the OEM ones.

Have you thought about, or maybe already done, the front bumper beam? Supposedly weighs 19lbs.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Damn, You've been busy!

I'm curious about the fender braces, I like the idea of retaining the stock ones. I debated about just making my own as well, didn't really think about just triangulating the OEM ones.

Have you thought about, or maybe already done, the front bumper beam? Supposedly weighs 19lbs.
Front and rear bumper, air bags, and many other unnecessary items already deleted.

Rear seats were quite a bit of weight and if I ever get the money, front seats will be gone too.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Poor lighting in the garage so it's hard to get good pictures. Still working on the upper back piece then they'll butt together and hopefully be seamless.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #220 (Edited)
I knew a cylinder was running rich but it wasn't showing in the plugs

Still having issues with oil everywhere...but I do think it's my breather system. Found the check valve broken. Coming up with some new options. Resealing everything for good measure and had to fix a leaking valve stem seal, anyway (my fault for not replacing them when I had the heads apart)

Just about done with swat delete

And, trying to decide how I want to do this...consideting EWG at the up-pipe since I have the engine back out and need to fix the header, anyway. It seems like a waste to have such an efficient CAC with 3" plumbing but trying to then squeeze it back through such a small throttle body. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Boomba TB and machine the intake manifold while it's apart.

201 - 220 of 360 Posts