IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this key insight on the AWE touring exhaust. I poured in quite a bit of research online to find the perfect exhaust. I'm getting up their in the years and I've had all sorts of exhausts and wanted this one to be "perfect". Not to loud, not to quiet and locked in on the AWE after exhaustive research and their reputation. I had a Cobb downpipe and the exhaust put on with a Protune and to my horror, when I started the car is was insanely loud. I hadn't opened the box and thought I must have gotten the track edition at 1st. The shop, who works almost exclusively on Subaru performance vehicles, said they were surprised on how loud it was. My 4 year old covered her ears as we drove away and said, "Daddy, so loud!" I then read about this concern and found a few post and AWE's instructions that stated it settled down after about 1000 miles. Some people said it did, some said it didn't, but I have to confirm that it did. Now it sounds much better as it's not overwhelming and I don't have my wife, daughter and neighbors complaining. I'm posting this for future buyer to know what to expect and share my learnings. I've always had exhausts get louder if anything, not quieter, so I'm happy to report my findings with follow enthusiasts. I can now say that it's the perfect exhaust! Oh, one more thing...it wasn't an instant at 1000K. It was better by 800 and at 1400 it's perfect! :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wanted to post this key insight on the AWE touring exhaust. I poured in quite a bit of research online to find the perfect exhaust. I'm getting up their in the years and I've had all sorts of exhausts and wanted this one to be "perfect". Not to loud, not to quiet and locked in on the AWE after exhaustive research and their reputation. I had a Cobb downpipe and the exhaust put on with a Protune and to my horror, when I started the car is was insanely loud. I hadn't opened the box and thought I must have gotten the track edition at 1st. The shop, who works almost exclusively on Subaru performance vehicles, said they were surprised on how loud it was. My 4 year old covered her ears as we drove away and said, "Daddy, so loud!" I then read about this concern and found a few post and AWE's instructions that stated it settled down after about 1000 miles. Some people said it did, some said it didn't, but I have to confirm that it did. Now it sounds much better as it's not overwhelming and I don't have my wife, daughter and neighbors complaining. I'm posting this for future buyer to know what to expect and share my learnings. I've always had exhausts get louder if anything, not quieter, so I'm happy to report my findings with follow enthusiasts. I can now say that it's the perfect exhaust! Oh, one more thing...it wasn't an instant at 1000K. It was better by 800 and at 1400 it's perfect! :D
it's the stock catback that makes it drone/ super loud.. when I changed to the cobb catback it eliminated ALL drone and the volume became more refined .. then about a year later I added the cobb downpipe and still ZERO drone :)

I love that the cobb turboback is not obnoxious and looks pretty stock (though I would honestly go with the single exit titanium tomei [sound is beastly], but living in CALI want to avoid any cop trouble with noise complaints ..etc)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, I have the AWE track, and it surprised me a bit how loud it was when I first got it. I'm pretty happy with it now though, and it's definitely either calmed down a bit or I'm used to it. My one complaint is how loud cold starts are - it's great (and not even that loud) during hot idle or just driving around calmly, it's great (and loud) at WOT, but when I first start the car, it's a bit obnoxious.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@seattlegreysti This is great feedback. I had my AWE Touring on for about 150 miles then installed a Cobb DP. On first startup I was shocked how loud it became. Volume at @ ~2500 rpm with slight load was too much for me. I bought a used Q300 and pulled the AWE/T. After a few months of missing the exotic sound and pops /crackles on downshift I reinstalled the AWE/T. Now I have about 400 miles on it and it is still too loud, but sounds great. With your feedback I have decided to leave it on thru break in hoping it becomes quieter in the next 1K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know what it sounds like on a stock setup? (e.g. sans downpipe, etc..) I'm looking for louder than stock (way too quiet), some pops/crackles but not obnoxious :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone know what it sounds like on a stock setup? (e.g. sans downpipe, etc..) I'm looking for louder than stock (way too quiet), some pops/crackles but not obnoxious :)
I have the Nameless muffler deletes with 4" dual wall tips on my otherwise stock 18. It sounds great, louder but not obnoxious, gives it the rumble, doesn't drone at all and does give some snap, crackle and pop. Does it increase power? No idea but the sound alone feels like 50hp...….

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Nameless muffler deletes with 4" dual wall tips on my otherwise stock 18. It sounds great, louder but not obnoxious, gives it the rumble, doesn't drone at all and does give some snap, crackle and pop. Does it increase power? No idea but the sound alone feels like 50hp...….
Nice! I was originally considering the nameless muffler delete, but it seemed like it would be too loud - definitely a much cheaper option. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had some nameless muffler deletes and it was super loud and obnoxious but sounded amazing. The drone on the highway was unreal. I went with an Invidia Q300 and it seems to have a good balance between sound and drone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had some nameless muffler deletes and it was super loud and obnoxious but sounded amazing. The drone on the highway was unreal. I went with an Invidia Q300 and it seems to have a good balance between sound and drone.
That's interesting, I don't have any drone at all with mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts