IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
about 10 years ago some tall grass wrapped itself around my fumoto valve, opening it and spilling oil. I'd removed the plastic cover and replaced it with a gt spec subframe brace, leaving the valve exposed. I love the valve but keep it covered.
Appreciate the thought. It makes me grateful I have Primitive Racing skid plates that take on the majority of potential undercarriage damage :)

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I'm hard on my engine but apparently the Motul engine oil I'm using is a tad bit overkill. Extended periods of idling, spirited driving, fast mountain pass drives, and off-roading, and the TBN still comes out pretty good.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So, this has been what has been going on the past weeks...

My Endless MXRS brake pads were completely used up. The actual pad backing plates made contact with the brake rotors. I was making it a habit to go up to the local mountain passes... and as a result, the pads lasted less than 10,000 miles. Because of the sporting nature of the brake pads, they do NOT come with the "squealer" that warns a road user of low brake lining remaining. Frequent inspections are highly recommended.

The Endless MXRS brake pads are still the best brake pads I've ever used so far (low noise, high temperature resistance, but extremely expensive) but I decided to downgrade to something a little milder and half the price.

A little note, my mechanic told me that the brake calipers may need replacement as the front caliper piston dust boots were found to be melted. I'm contemplating going to the Sumitomo/FHI 4-pot front/2-pot rear brake calipers but I want to keep the stock pad shape to simplify everything (like keeping my stock wheels), so I'm leaning more towards complete caliper replacement to new Subaru OEM Tokico calipers or Subaru remanufactured Tokico calipers (if they are available).

I switched to the Winmax W3 brake pads. Part numbers listed below:
front WM-580-W3, rear WM-655-W3

Bed in instructions transcribed below:
BEFORE BEDDING THE PADS
Please be aware that if you are using a new set of Winmax brake pads on a used set of discs the bedding procedure will take longer as the pad must clean the material deposited on the disc and create a new friction material layer on it.
This process can be accelerated if you resurface the brake disc in advance.
Make sure the disc surface is clean and grime free.

BRAKE PAD BEDDING
Correct brake pad bedding procedure is essential to ensure maximum performance of the brake system on the car.
Incorrect bedding can lead to excessive decrease of the pad and disc life as well as lack of braking performance.
Correct bedding is achieved by slowly increasing the temperature on the pads and discs.
Potential issues like overheating and pad glazing should be avoided as much as possible as it is important that the process is slow. Make sure the pads are correctly installed on the car.
Optional heat shield plates and left foot braking should not be used during the bedding procedure.

Using 60 - 80% of pedal pressure, decrease the car speed from 80kmh (50mph) to 20kmh (12mph).
Repeat this process 7 - 9 times.

Do not drive the car to a complete stop as this will increase rapidly the temperature on the pad.

Repeat the procedure from 120 kmh (75mph) - 80 kmh (50mph), and from 120 kmh (75mph) - 20 kmh (12mph).

Allow some time without braking to cool down the discs and pads before increasing the brake force.
After each repetition you should feel better braking.
If you can use temperature measuring tools, make sure your system is around 400°c (752°f).
Do a visual check on the discs to see if the friction material of the pad is deposited homogeneously and, if not, repeat the process.

Once it is finish perform some high pressure braking to ensure teh system is working correctly.
You can re-bleed the brake system to maximize the performance.

YOU ARE READY TO RACE

They have an operating temperature of ambient up to 600 degrees C (or 1112 degrees F) with a coefficient of friction ranging from 0.34 to 0.37.

For comparison, my previous Endless MXRS pads have an operating temperature range of 50-700 degrees C (122-1292 degrees F) with a coefficient of friction rating from 0.38 to 0.47.

The Winmax pads are also slightly easier to bed-in as they only require a 75 MPH high speed rather than the 85 MPH high speed of the Endless pads required for bed-in.

My overall impressions so far are great. For only about $300, I got great feeling pads that also do not quite require warm up like the Endless MXRS and Endless MX-72. The friction is also more consistent so it is, in a way, easier to drive. For comparison, the Endless MX-72 and MXRS pads are about $600 a full set for front and rear.

However, unlike the Endless MX-72 and Endless MXRS brake pads, they don't have as high of a temperature rating and the Winmax brake pads are noticably louder. Is it liveable? Yes, as it isn't as loud as the Carbotech brake pads I've heard (though Carbotech pads are notorious for being noisy) but those who don't want to hear a single squeak will be driven insane.

And I've come to realize one can only pick two of three characteristics shown below when choosing brake pads.
  • Cheap and high-temperature, but very loud.
  • Cheap and quiet, but unable to handle high-temperature use.
  • Quiet and high-temperature capable, but extremely expensive.

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I did some number crunching... not totally accurate, but it gives a rough idea of the general engine wear as I've used my vehicle so far.

Oil analysis iron results

Subaru FB20 used oil analysis sheets - Album on Imgur

LEGEND
o [miles on oil interval]
v [miles on vehicle]
xx ppm iron [iron in sample]
xxx mi/ppm IRON [miles per ppm of iron] (lower number means higher wear per mile basis)
[SAE viscosity run]

o 6072
v 6072
28 ppm iron
217 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 6439?
v 12511
14 ppm iron
460 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 6100
v 22536
6 ppm iron
1017 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 7097
v 29633
7 ppm iron
1014 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 7843
v 37476
8 ppm iron
980 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 8110
v 46214
15 ppm iron
541 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 6633
v 52847
10 ppm iron
663 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 6466
v 59313
7 ppm iron
924 mi/ppm IRON
0W-20

o 3656
v 74540
10 ppm iron
366 mi/ppm IRON
5W-40

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Some days ago, I had a blessing in disguise.

I got a sidewall puncture due to being tired. I was tired after work, turned in too early into a driveway to the local fast food drive-thru, felt a big thud. I short got out to hear the hissing of my passenger front tire leaking what air was left in it.

I am ashamed to admit, but my tires were already at the wear bars. Not only were they illegal to drive on, but they were quite unsafe as their ability to hold the road were definitely deteriorating. I needed new tires anyways, so I saw this as a good event. However, my wheel did sustain some awful-looking damage.

http://i.imgur.com/Ra5IDQhl.jpg

So shortly thereafter, I got some Goodyear Eagle Sport high performance all-season tires in 225/55R17, with a speed and load rating of 97V and UTQG of 560 Treadwear, A Traction, A Temperature.

I wanted a set of tires that would:
* match stock tire size of 225/55R17
* meet the minimum standards of the OEM Yokohama Geolandar G95A tires (UTQG in excess of B Traction, A Temperature; speed and load rating meet or exceed 95H)
* emphasis on improved handling while still retaining all-season capability
* mud and snow rated to keep light off-road capability

These Goodyear Eagle Sport tires were the closest, immediately-available set of tires I could get. So despite my initial intent to get the Continental ContiProContact tires, I jumped on these.

http://i.imgur.com/XIW22lyl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7xkhiWVl.jpg

http://imgur.com/gNGYXHb
http://i.imgur.com/gNGYXHbl.jpg

Believe it or not, this is my first set of tires that is performance-anything, despite my emphasis on high performance brake pads.

And boy am I glad I got these. So far, I am very impressed by them. The steering response and willingness to grip are far better than a typical passenger car tire.

The sidewalls feel stiffer than the old Yokohama Geolandar G95A. As a result, ride is a little more harsh on some bumps, but the well worth the tradeoff for improvement in handling.

I have yet to test these in wet conditions as well as off-road use but so far I feel far safer with these Eagle Sport tires than the stock Geolandar G95A tires.

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
A big update on my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5MT...

About a week ago or more, I decided to initiate an engine oil consumption test at my local Subaru dealer after speaking with a Subaru of America customer service representative when I was curious about the oil consumption lawsuit.

Fast forward to this week, turns out my 2014 Crosstrek failed the engine oil consumption test. I will be getting a new, updated engine installed for free along with a free loaner Subaru (more on that later).

So for anyone with the following Subaru models, please seriously consider doing an engine oil consumption test at your local Subaru dealership before your vehicle hits 98,800 miles. The extended warranty for affected vehicles relating to engine oil consumption has been extended to 100,000 miles.

2013-14MY Legacy and Outback models with 2.5L FB Engines
2011-14MY Forester Models with 2.5L FB Engines
2015 MY Forester (Manual Transmissions Only) with 2.5L FB Engines
2012-2013 MY Impreza and XV Crosstrek Models with 2.0 FB Engines
2014-15 MY Impreza and XV Crosstrek Models (Manual Transmissions Only) with 2.0 FB Engines

As for my free-of-charge loaner car, I am glad to say I got a 2016 Subaru Crosstrke Limited w/ Eyesight and Navigation. I've actually been wanting to test one out with Eyesight and I am VERY pleasantly surprised by the Lineartronic CVT's smoothness and manual-shift capability as well as Eyesight's excellent performance with adaptive cruise control.

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I got my XV back some months ago, actually missing the loaner 2016 Limited w/ EyeSight (but not missing the fun-killing borderline-overheating CVT that failed to stay cool in the mountains in my spirited driving)

New engine mileage

84734 miles

The new engine block isn't consuming nearly as much oil as the original one so far.

My XV was down for a bit more than a week just after I got it back as I had managed to rip my lower control arm off, damage my Whiteline polyurethane bushing, and destroy my left front CV axle.

And the news of the upcoming changes to the 2018 Subaru WRX and Subaru WRX STI gave me some ideas...

Inspiration mods from updates/changes on 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport and 2018 Subaru WRX

* [single asterisk indicates standard and/or on my vehicle already]
** [double asterisk indicates additional mod on my wishlist]

* larger front brake rotors
- already standard on XV Crosstrek and Forester models (larger rotors compared to regular Impreza models)
- same rotor size as 5th gen Impreza Sport
* sportier 2-tone rear spoiler
- already on my XV Crosstrek with the silly gurney-flap-like spoiler on the option spoiler
** sport-tuned suspension
- performance damped revalved shocks as alternative for XV Crossstrek due to severe lack of aftermarket support
** sport bucket seats
- sport seats direct swap from a 4th gen WRX due to same platform, brackets, airbag harness, etc.
- Recaro sport seats on 2018 and newer 4th gen WRX with Performance Package
** painted brake calipers
- red on 2018 and newer 4th gen WRX with Performance Package
* upgraded brake pads
- JURID brake pads on 2018 and newer 4th gen WRX with Performance Package
- already implemented on my XV Crosstrek with semi-racing Winmax W3 brake pads, will eventually swap for Endless MX72PLUS semi-racing brake pads
** short-throw shifter
- standard on 2017 and newer 5th generation Subaru Impreza Sport
- will look into interchangability of short-throw shifter parts onto 4th gen compact 5-speed manual transmissions
** additional LED DRL on front bumper
- implemented on 5th gen Subaru Impreza Sport, my original inspiration from 2013 Subaru XV Sport Concept at the Tokyo Auto Salon (TAS)

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Re-bedded in my Winmax W3 brake pads because they were getting a bit noisy again.

I'm pretty sure I went past the 400 degrees C minimum temperature requirement that Winmax calls for.

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
My clutch, skid plates, and rock sliders/rock rails got a bit of a beating today.

Subaru XV Crosstrek 5-speed manual at Hollister Hills SVRA off-road scrapes skid plate
Filmed at the Adventure Track at Hollister Hills SVRA, Upper Ranch near Hollister, California, United States.
YouTube video code: EEhb_Vt2PEs
YouTube user code: AWDfreak
YouTube channel code: UCODcYlM_pnvgDBOcIkRPGEg

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I have suspicions that my left front brake caliper is dragging.

In one instance, I measured my rotor temperatures after driving for 5 miles without using the brakes. Left front rotor was at 140 degrees Fahrenheit, right front rotor was at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

And hearing a dreadful noise, I finally decided to check it out.

The left front brake pads are done.

The right front brake pads still have life left in them.

*sigh*, I gotta wait at least a month for my Endless MX72PLUS brake pads to arrive in the USA...

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
On Tuesday, I took on a part of Hollister Hills SVRA on the Adventure Track that I had doubts my Subaru would do. I managed, video footage pending as it is being edited, but consider this video a small preview. I drove it mostly dry, but of course I took a line that may be considered "cheating", but nonetheless, the Subaru XV Crosstrek made it through. Despite the abysmal 18 degrees of approach angle, these Subaru crossovers are still surprisingly off-road capable compared to most other crossovers.

Again, this is not my video but a video to preview what video footage may come this month or so. This is the same area I drove on, but I drove it in dry conditions.

Wheelin the 4x4 toyota van @ Hollister Hills OHV park - YouTube

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well... I'm done using polyurethane bushings.

I think I'll stick with Subaru OEM rubber bushings for daily driven use. My local Subaru mechanic warned me about polyurethane bushings, and it turns out he was right. Though there is an initial improvement in handling, NVH suffers as the bushing wears and then one ends up with a damaged bushing later on.

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
So early in the morning yesterday, I went with some fellow military buddies to go shooting at those same lovely hills.

Along with the sunrise, the hills greeted us with surprisingly-chilly conditions that warranted use of my light jacket.

Unfortunately for us, the firearms we brought eventually had malfunctions we could not fix out there after shooting about a hundred shotshells and some rounds, so we decided to go enjoy the La Grange OHV, off-road park. We played around with the Subaru out there for many hours, and had quite a lot of fun.

So far, this trip has futher impressed me of how off-road capable the Subaru XV is, despite the limitations of the approach angle and, for those with the single-range manual, what tough situations the little FB20 engine could power through (though liberal use of the accelerator is to be expected.)

https://imgur.com/Fza2oKW

https://imgur.com/glBTtQr

https://imgur.com/AqLCWTo

https://imgur.com/ROGyP4O

https://imgur.com/gJYeKsn

https://imgur.com/MVpYLZr

https://imgur.com/cT70XD1

https://imgur.com/13WjGkh

And here's a crappy video of the "circuit" we made at the park.
YouTube video code: vJnTbRJBMq0

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
One more pic from the trip, I seemed to have skipped this picture.

Anyone have any modification suggestions? I've realized I'm close to hitting a wall where perhaps, I may have run out of ideas for a touge-capable, light off-road tough, short-adventure ready, emergency-equipped Subaru crossover.

I know what tires I want that will be a compromise tire for my extremely-varied uses of desired performance characteristics.

I know I'm sticking with the Endless MX72PLUS brake pads.

I won't lift or lower the suspension.

Power upgrade mods won't happen anytime soon.

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Without lifting it, what can be done to at least enhance suspension travel? What tires are you on?
The only way to enhance suspension travel is to basically swap in a rally suspension designed for the VA chassis WRX and WRX STI. Because both are based on the same platform (4th generation Impreza platform), they share a lot in common structurally.

A local Subaru performance shop, Mann Engineering, does make higher-rate springs, marketed as "overload springs". For my uses, I will probably get their stock-height overload springs, which will likely help maintain ground clearance with heavier loads, as well as improve touge capability with the stiffer suspension for reduced unwanted body motions.

I am running Goodyear Eagle Sport high-performance all-season tires. I chose them as a touge-capable, light off-road compromise tire. So far, they are doing okay, but they are showing signs of tearing at small spots of the tread cuts.

And I have been contemplating the idea of having dedicated UHP summer and all-season all-terrain wheel sets. The only summer tire I would consider would be the BFGoodrich G-Force SPORT COMP-2 in 225/55ZR17. The tread pattern and rumors of it having the M+S (mud and snow) rating lead me to believe they won't be completely useless in dirt.

I'm not so sure what all-terrains I want, as I am not sure if I want to keep the 17" wheel setup, or downsize to 16" or 15" wheels. Considering the significant risk of a pinch-flat from the 55 series sidewall, it seems to make more and more sense to go with the 15" wheels and probably follow the trend of running 15" Method Racing Wheels rally wheels for Subaru crossover drivers that enjoy off-road adventure.

If not a dedicated set of wheels and tires, I'm just going to settle with getting some Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires, the same exact model of tires used by a majority of law enforcement/police vehicles. Since police vehicles see a huge variety of surfaces, I figured that'd be a safe option to go with an all-around master-of-none tire that can still be considered relatively safe for light off-road use. Even the Goodyear customer service representative I asked recommended them.

I dedided to have a go again at the closest unpaved roads in my area.

I drove through Buzzard Lagoon Road (which is a north-south dirt road, it is indeed a through road and not a dead end assuming the gates aren't closed and locked) and Aptos Creek Road located at the northeast area of The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.

Buzzard Lagoon Road is technically a seasonal road. It is signed as being closed to only local traffic from Oct 15th through Apr 15th. It is not exactly a road I would recommend attempting when raining and/or wet, even for true body-on-frame off-road vehicles with mud-terrain tires equipped.

Aptos Creek Road has limited vehicular access until its terminus for cars and trucks at the following coordinates: 37.071300, -121.853537

Most of the new pictures uploaded are at a single spot at Aptos Creek Road at that northeast portion of The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.

Once again, full album link here at My Car - Album on Imgur

https://imgur.com/Bk7L6Kf

https://imgur.com/4Q8T1SK

https://imgur.com/ssIjzHS

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I uploaded several videos with onboard footage of driving. These are my first videos I've attempted to record with some sort of a mount.

I will share one specific one.

video description:
Aptos Creek Road located at the northeast area of The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park. Video starts and ends at the T-junction with Buzzard Lagoon Road.

This is in unincorporated Santa Cruz County, California, United States of America.

Vehicle being driven is a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek equipped with the 5-speed manual transmission. Brake noise from my Endless MX72PLUS brake pads is due to the need to re-bed the brake pads. Samsung Galaxy S5 Active smartphone, the recording device, is mounted using a RAM Mounts X-Grip with a suction cup mount base.
YouTube video code: 3_JQy8RG_r8
Aptos Creek Road - YouTube

I also uploaded footage of a Subaru being driven on a local mountain pass, in three parts. I'll leave it to readers/viewers whether they want to bother looking for those videos and actually watch them despite their long length.

81 - 100 of 155 Posts