IW STi Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some post on the general forum about the AVO rear endlink, but I think it deserves its own thread.

In short, I believe this is the only endlink that truly works. Others comes close and many just don't.

The use of sealed spherical bearing bottom mount allows 30 degree articulation. It can easily reach hard setting, but impossible to reach the soft setting. Yet I think this is more to do with the Superpro rear swaybar's arm not being straight as it is angled inwards towards the center of the car. I tested it using WL endlink by forcing to enter the soft setting and the balljoint will actually face backward due to the swaybar arm being angled inward.

The reason of why I think this is the only endlink that truly works is because it can tilt back and forth - which is what the rear endlink must be able to do as the rear LCA goes up and down. This is why the OEM endlink uses soft bushing. The use of hard busing will make it harder for the swaybar to rotate - and that is not what you want as it robs the suspension's independent movement. Spherical bearing endlink can do this but they tend to erode quickly. AVO sealed spherical balljoint will last a lot longer (but time will tell).

The use of AVO endlink allows me to use the medium setting on my car, but I won't go to the detail of the suspension setup right now. What I meant by that is, the rear no longer feels too stiff causing bad pitch and loose front end. I always felt there was too much exaggeration of how stiff the rear is when the rear 22mm superpro set on medium and that is because the Whiteline KLC182 endlink bottom PU bushing is not allowing the endlink easily tilt. If the endlink is prevented from tilting, the swaybar cannot easily rotate and will effectly acts as torsion beam. You do not want that especially when using a much bigger swaybar.

Since the AVO allows the endlink to tilt by the use of sealed spherical bearing, you get better linear movement of the rear suspension. And linear movement equals predictable handling. Is too bad it is not possible to use a conventional double balljoint endlink as there are more options, but thankfully the AVO endlink comes to the rescue.

Speaking about freeing unnecessary stiffness, my Superpro swaybar actually binds. I didn't think it can bind as the bushing is 1mm bigger in diameter than the swaybar. So I gonna have to sort this. Honestly, I never had issues like this in the past with my JDM TRD swaybar for my Celica GT-S and H&R swaybar for my Golf MK6. Next time around I will not buy another swaybar that requires greasing due to the use of PU bushing. I reckon swaybar manufacturer that does use PU bushing should follow what JDM TRD and H&R use for their swaybar bushing as that's what really set them apart.

In case some of you don't know what I meant by swaybar binding:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts