IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on going wider next season and am looking at a variety of tires. Falken shows that their 245/45/17 615's can fit on my 7.5" rims. I'm also looking at the same size Yoko , 245/45/17 A032R-soft compound, but it states that the minimum rim size is 8". My STi is an 04. I drive hard and my inputs are far from smooth so the RE070 has been a very forgiving tire for me due to its stiff sidewalls. Assuming that I do the Yoko's, will I loose cornering stability due to trying the 'squeeze' the tire onto a 7.5" rim? Will that be negated by an increased lateral grip? I've seen Miatas run tires that extend outside the plane of their rim so I know it can be done. Atleast on a car that weighs 800lbs less :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have run 245s (MXs, very very soft sidewall) on 7.5" rims for autox before and it's not a huge deal. You learn to deal with the feel of that particular tire pretty well. It might feel squishy and numb at first but I don't think that it can really hurt you as far as times go.

It will likely feel a bit less responsive but the lateral grip should improve. I don't think you'll have any particular great loss from going that route. As for the Yokos; they could be done on a 7.5" with about the same results as the Azenis is my bet. :)

-Biggly

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sciolist said:
What class? Are you swapping wheels to race? Have you thought about gearing?
SM, Yes, I swap wheels to race but I drive to and from events on my AutoX tires, and taller tires/extended gearing is fine since I have a custom tuned Ecutek and sufficient torque. I autoX for fun, and have done approx 10 races over the past two years.

Mods: Ecutek (Topspeed tuned), JDM Pinks, Whiteline 26mm FSB.

I'm interested in the A032R's 245/45/17's and am simply trying to see if they will fit without rubbing. I made a mistake in my original post..The A032R's in 245/45 will fit the 7.5" rim, the 245/40's require an 8" rim. If either would fit without rubbing...I'd buy them tomorrow. I've read that the inner clearance in the rear is the thing to contend with, but I'm not sure how much latitude I have in trying to get 245' back there. It seems to me like it's trial and error so I'm looking for concrete info prior to spending $650.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
227 Posts
i'm running the 245/40 yoko neovas on the OE 7.5" wheel. i lost some turn-in feel and maybe some lateral grip (over the OE bridgestones). fwiw. personally i won't do that again ($1000 investment). braking improved however, oh, and now my wheels are protected against curb rash :)

not sure about clearing the pinks but the Yokes do come very close to my whiteline coilovers, i couldn't run maximum camber up front because the tire would hit the spring. I don't recall it being a problem for the back wheels (less camber, plenty of offset).

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just bought and installed a set of the 615s in 245/45. It's cold and snowy here, and I haven't driven but 5 miles on them. There is about a finger clearance between the inside of the tire, and the strut. The 615s FILL up the wheel wells. They look a little bulbous on the 7.5 OEM BBS rims.

I also have a set of Hoosier 245/45s that are a bit wider. In order to fit those, I had to roll the rear fenders. The local auto-x events are top of 2nd gear and into 3rd for a while. I needed the bigger overal to help this.

My car has JDM pinks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys.

Well, I figured I'd make 245's fit so i ended up ordering RT-615s since the current pricing is very low. The tire guy doing the mount/balance for me is part of our autoX club so he's versed in rolling fenders as well. My plan is to set the new tires up and see how things look. If necessary, we'll roll the fenders.
I'm running -1.5degrees camber in the back (came this way stock) so we'll see how things go.

LoworbitSI: do you atuoX with 245's on the stock 7.5" rims?

·
Registered
518 Posts
mx_9 said:
LoworbitSI: do you atuoX with 245's on the stock 7.5" rims?
I run the 245/45s on 7.5 for the daily drive, and then auto-x with Rota Torques in 17x8 that hold the 245/45 Hoosiers. The Hoosiers are marginally wider than the Azenis, even though they are identically labeled.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...I'm contemplating running the 245/7.5" combo in AutoX and was hoping you'd have input on that. I'm curious to see how the turn-in response is with the 245's on the stock size rims.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, to anyone interested, I put the RT-615 245/45/17's on my stock 7.5" BBSs today.
I make it in without a fender roll, but it is extremely close! I did an autoX style 180 degree turn on a divided highway and had the outside tire bump the front-center of the wheel well on the plastic guarding.

Mods:
26mm Whiteline FSB
JDM Pinks
Steering rack bushing
Front Camber: -1.5, 4.5 degrees caster, no toe.

I like the pinks so I won't change my ride height to fix this issue. I'll either cut the plastic stuff or let the tire rub through it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Please update with some more info on how the 245's work on stock wheels. I have an '06 STi and will be Auto Xing this year in a new chapter. Would like the wider tires too. Very curious on how your results end up. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you can come check out my 245's and my 7.5" stock wheels at the next autoX if you'd like. (I'll be at Bremerton every Sunday this month).

every 245 is going to be different. the Neova's are extremely wide, so are some others.. they'd "work" on an 8" wide wheel but I wouldn't bother with the 7.5" wheel like mine, too much pinching. Personally, I'd go with the 245/45 Falken Azenis. you might like the taller wheel (gearing) and the prices have come down a lot.

additionally, I might be selling my Neova's, more than half used, less than half price. keep an eye out on NASIOC (local) if you're interested.

·
Registered
234 Posts
slicknick112 said:
Please update with some more info on how the 245's work on stock wheels. I have an '06 STi and will be Auto Xing this year in a new chapter. Would like the wider tires too. Very curious on how your results end up. Thanks for the update.
I run the 245/45 615's on an 06 STI. Since we have an 8 inch rim, there are no fitment issues. 05 and 06 STi's have the fenders prerolled from the factory, so no rub either (I'm lowered on Cusco Zero 2R's).

·
Registered
395 Posts
blkwrxwag said:
I run the 245/45 615's on an 06 STI. Since we have an 8 inch rim, there are no fitment issues. 05 and 06 STi's have the fenders prerolled from the factory, so no rub either (I'm lowered on Cusco Zero 2R's).

Is this right? I didn't realize that our wheels were 8 inches wide. Pre-rolled from factory too.... I guess it is just a matter of wanting to run in AS or STU with the wider tires. 245's are not legal in AS class in SCCA.

DMIKKo what class do you run?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I run with the STU rules: unlimited wheel size, 245 maximum tire size (4wd specific)

I thought you could run whatever size tire you wanted to in AS? you just can't change the size of the OE wheel.

(btw, for those that might ask, we have a "stock" class here that runs street tires only. same rules as stock, just no race rubber)

·
Registered
234 Posts
DMikko said:
I thought you could run whatever size tire you wanted to in AS? you just can't change the size of the OE wheel.
You can run whatever size tire you can get on there - I'm not sure where the other guy is getting his info. Also, you can change the wheel, but it has to within certain parameters of stock. I've never run AS, so I'm not sure what they are exactly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I ran 255/40R17s Kumho victoracers last year on my '04 with no problems. Ran the car in AS. There's a thread in here of a guy running 275s on an '05. 245 is the max width for the street tire classes.

BTW the tires fit fine. The tires cleaned the dirt off the strut towers a little bit though. I had plenty of clearance on the outside. I'd put on .10 spacers if I wasn't more worried about the health of my studs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts