IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Well, I am glad in some ways that you are sticking with your argument at least. And I appreciate the fact that you really are generally bashing the labeling of the product. And I definately see the difference between what I would consider 'Automatic' and what this switch does. I actually agree it ins't automatic. However, I still maintain that it would be improper to relabel the name of a product that you didn't create. And IMO Kevin did a fine job of describing in the very first post exactly how the switch works; actual description followed by a scenario of use. So I can agree with you that this switch shouldn't be called 'Automatic', however I can only blame the JDM maker of this switch and not anyone who resells it with an explicit description.

offset

·
Registered
271 Posts
RE: FF1000 driving lights on the STI

Its a switch. I dont care what you call it. I like your description and love the functionality and I want one (or maybe two for a friend)!!!! Hit me up when you get some more...

·
Registered
123 Posts
RE: Insurance Quote: $516/6 months!!! SHAZZAM!!!!

For the sake of additional clarity on this topic, here is a great article entitled 'Intelligent Intercooler Water Spray' that disusses more on what should be considered automatic beyond just a static switch.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527
Agreed that this article is super informative. I like this approach over the other method wich is by triggering spray from presence of boost. Intelligent indeed. I've had this on my list of neat things to do for a few months.

-steve

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Re: RE: whos rdy to race the new 06 STi!!!

Did you really pay to read that article? What did it say?

·
Registered
123 Posts
OFFICIAL GT4 STi challange thread.

Yes I bought the subscription that had all the old issues from #1 to #300 (6 years I think), and I've been reading the heck outta the articles on that site for about the past 2 months. Some really cool info I feel. I'm a newbee of sorts although I've done a little messing around about 20 years ago on a '72 camaro...just dumb stuff. Now I'm trying to catch up to what everyone is talking about in this forum, as well as get an idea of what I want to mod etc.

When I learned that the STi had a watersprayer, I had no idea what it was and what it was for. I read up on it and on turbos, and when I read that the switch only sprayed water whenever it was pushed by the driver, the obvious question I had was "how does the driver know when to push it".

It just seemed obvious that this feature needed to be automatically controlled because unless you have some air temp gauge, how does one know when and when not to spray the water.....so.

The answer is by monitoring outside air temp, IC inner core (backside) temp with thermoistors, and ignition duty cycle with an ignition lead. Basically you set a threshold for which the H20 is to spray based on your driving habits.

The main idea is that you want the water to start somewhat before the IC gets hot, during, and then somewhat afterwards, but not much in between during low to no boost conditions. The whole thing seemed logical to me for road driving conditions, but I haven't any idea how it would be for autox etc where those conditions would surely be different.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
RE: TBE exhaust w/ removable high flow cat?

A truly automatic sprayer wouldn't be too useful for autocross, either, because it'd put you into Street Modified regardless of any other mods--if it's even legal there. Even the toggling "automatic" switch that's the subject of this thread would do that, too.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts