IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Why not learn how to drive manual? Do that and you will be an owner of a machine that has endless tuning capabilities.
Howver if you insist on buying an auto, then I would try to consider an evo ( woud never put my self in that position though) :), however its an easier target for your case.

By thee way am based in Dubai, and can help you source out parts if needed ( as an act of support), am not a tuner nor own a tuning place :)

But can help if needed.

Hsein
that actually sounds reasonable because the EVO MR comes stanrdard automatic. it'll have more options to modding it than a auto-sti that is not fully available everywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
...and don't let the negative nancies get you OP. The automatic STI is perfect for traffic.

Lool its Ok i Love the STI

i Just wanted to Know the tune ability of an automatic STI

went to the Dealer, Car might arrive earlier than expected which is a good thing

also wanted to know is it true the Hatchback is Cheaper than the sedan?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I know in the US the sedan is approximately 3000 USD cheaper than the hatchback. The hatch does not have the option of the base enkei wheels and a couple other things if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I know in the US the sedan is approximately 3000 USD cheaper than the hatchback. The hatch does not have the option of the base enkei wheels and a couple other things if I recall correctly.
In kuwait its the other way around the hatchback is cheaper by 1500$

Any1 ever heard of MRT performance from austrailia?

·
Does not drive a Suby
2,897 Posts
I would love an auto STI. Think about the stoplight to stoplight battles... untouchable! Just solid waves of torque, never a blown shift... Why do think serious drag racers use automatics?

I know it's heresy, but a CVT would be even better. Accelerating off the line, RPMs to max power, and hold.... no revving, just solid, steady acceleration. Cool.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
IIRC the auto STi (not offered in the states) is a true dual clutch ie; DSG like what's found in the EVO MR, GT-R and many other cars. It is certainly NOT a traditional auto transmission like what most of us are familiar with. For the most part it is a dual clutch auto shifting transmission, not a slushbox. I would jump on one of those all day long, they shift faster than you can manually and if you go into 'manual mode' and use the paddles the shifting is very precise and controllable!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
never drove a manual nor cared to try it out

all my friends who own a manual car drive their cars once or twice a week due to the heavy traffic and own other cars

my car will be a semi daily driver

·
Does not drive a Suby
2,897 Posts
IIRC the auto STi (not offered in the states) is a true dual clutch ie; DSG like what's found in the EVO MR, GT-R and many other cars. It is certainly NOT a traditional auto transmission like what most of us are familiar with. For the most part it is a dual clutch auto shifting transmission, not a slushbox. I would jump on one of those all day long, they shift faster than you can manually and if you go into 'manual mode' and use the paddles the shifting is very precise and controllable!
Nope. 5 speed slushbox.

Subaru WRX STI gets five-speed automatic option... Down Under

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is true that the transmission isn't as fast. And that it does limit the power. On one of the local shops here with a low reading dyno (dynojet, around ~30whp less of a dynapack) The baseline dyno of the A-Line was at 196whp, I currently forget the torque figures. And even with a full exhaust, intake, and ebs, it doesn't hit 300whp. And the torque reads less.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
It makes sense there's more loss with a slushbox auto. It's always been that way. The torque converter causes loss in the form of heat. The engine also has to drive a pump (driven by a shaft attached to the input side of the torque converter) to supply hydraulic pressure and keep the clutch packs pressed together. Then there's the losses due to all gears always taking torque and pushing on each other (in different configurations of course, however all gears are always a part of what's going on) it creates tons of loss. That added with AWD loss anyway makes for some nasty drivetrain losses.

No slushboxes for me, thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It makes sense there's more loss with a slushbox auto. It's always been that way. The torque converter causes loss in the form of heat. The engine also has to drive a pump (driven by a shaft attached to the input side of the torque converter) to supply hydraulic pressure and keep the clutch packs pressed together. Then there's the losses due to all gears always taking torque and pushing on each other (in different configurations of course, however all gears are always a part of what's going on) it creates tons of loss. That added with AWD loss anyway makes for some nasty drivetrain losses.

No slushboxes for me, thanks.
Thanks for the information. I understand some of your dislike for the auto tranny, but it still does its job with decent power. At the end of the day, it's still an STI. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
still trying to figure out why you still want to get and mod an sti if you say the traffic is so terrible??? If the traffic is so bad then what would really be the point:rolleyes:? IMO with all the drive train power loss it would make more sense to get something cheaper that has more aftermarket support in your area.

·
Registered
74 Posts
still trying to figure out why you still want to get and mod an sti if you say the traffic is so terrible??? If the traffic is so bad then what would really be the point:rolleyes:? IMO with all the drive train power loss it would make more sense to get something cheaper that has more aftermarket support in your area.
The traffic of daily commute may be horrible. But weekend drives with the highways and some mountain roads are quite fun. I mean, there are some powerful cars in the country. I believe those are just weekend cars as compared to an auto sti that can do both. Considering the great handling our cars have, with decent power, it's pretty fun.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy driving manual - Had an Impreza '08 2.0L m/t, but for other reasons, I got an auto. And it's still a fun car.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Again get what you want but I agree that shifting is part of the fun of driving the STI.

I always laugh at people that rationalize servo shifting manuals because they shift faster as if they're doing timed laps at the Nurburgring testing for Subaru. :lol: :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts