IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debadging

Im not sure whether to post this in the interior forum or the electronics forum. This is kind of an issue with both, but i am going to post it here because most of the people in electronics are installing stereos in the car. In my car i had an awesome system put in by Abt. They did a great job and it sounds great but when the subs hit at a certain level and freq. the autodimming mirror that i have makes an audible vibration or buzzing that can be heard with the music. At first i thought that it was distortion from the subs and a hard hit, but after having the system for more time i realized that this is coming from the mirror. I talked with my installer at Abt and we determined that the main source of the vibration of the mirror is the seam where the two sides of the mirror come together. We came up with a few options.

1. Take the mirror apart, and put it back together sealing the seam around the mirror with a type of glue.

2. Purchase the normal mirror for the car and swap out (although i do not know if the normal mirror will vibrate or not)

3. Replace the mirror with another autodimming mirror and see if this helps.

Does anybody else share this problem???? What should I do??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Option 1 sounds like a good idea to me. I would also place some type of packing material inside the mirror so as not to leave room for any internal parts to vibrate. Welcome to the world of serious car audio.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Indeed. . . my two 12s (and the 2000 watts behind them) hit HARD in my car. . . a rattling mirror is simply confirmation that you're doing things right in the trunk. lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbs said:
Another option is turning down the volume. :p

hahaha
haha this still doesnt work... When the subs hit at certain freqencies the mirror will vibrate, the music has to be only as loud as a whisper to really gurantee no vibrations from the mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I don't hear a buzz or anything but my mirror vibrates also, like looking into water, when the bass hits. Even my old Legacy with the stock under seat sub made the rearview vibrate some.

Yukonart, 2 12's and 2k watts?!?! Isn't that a little over kill? I have 1 10" and 600 watts and that is more than enough. I would love to hear your setup though. I can't even imagine it.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
One Diamond Audio 1200.1 amp and two Diamond Audio M6 12D4 subs. Each sub likes about 800 watts RMS for normal operation. . . reason being, they're incredibly clear and accurate. In many cases that equates to power-hungry drivers.

Perhaps it's a little overkill . . . it's been a fun system, though. Already sold half of it off (mostly the video components) and I'm going with just one 12" in the STi. I still want all that clarity. . . but I don't need a sub box that'll hit 137+ dB anymore. :wink:

(read: Civic. . . retired show car)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MKIVSupra said:
I don't hear a buzz or anything but my mirror vibrates also, like looking into water, when the bass hits. Even my old Legacy with the stock under seat sub made the rearview vibrate some.
Im not complaining at all about looking in the mirror, i know that is supposed to happen. I am trying to fix an audible buzzing coming from the mirror

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got that same buzzing - I think its a design flaw because it happens at certain RPM. I know its not from music because I have no stereo :lol:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have three 10's and I have the same issue. I have already taken it in and had the mirror replaced. Unfortunately, this did not help the rattling. I have added a lot of dynamat to my front doors to fill in gaps and stop the rattles there for my MB Quart seperates. I think the only way to fix this issue is to rip apart the mirror and put it back together. I am going to me dealer this week to have them strip the mirror for me. I do a lot of work for them and they have been more than helpful in helping with my mods. I will post an update in a week with details if this fixes our issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts