IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Java Black Pearl W/ Gold Rim STI

Looking at various kumho's (R compound), want to know what people have tried so far. I'd prefer the victoracers as they appear to wear a little better. Will the 255/40's fit with stock wheels, or at least the 245/45's?

What about using with spacers up to 1/4 in. as allowed in stock class. Will these provide enough room for 255's?

Would the Rota SDR's allow more room than the stock rims?

Thanks, Danno :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
2 STi's sighted in San Francisco

I use Hoosier R3S03's in 245-45-ZR17 and they fit just fine. You could probly get the 255's to work, BUT DON'T USE THE SPACERS!!! If you use the spacers i'm quite certain that you are going to be banging up the inside of the fender well during the hard cornering that you'll be doing in autocross. The 245's are really close, and the 255's will be even closer (not much though, a max of 5mm's). I would have used the Kumho's for my racing (better heat resistance in my experience) but they weren't available in time for Divisionals this past weekend. If you want to use wheel spacers, that's your call, but the 245's clear the struts with a bit of room to spare.

Branden

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be using 245's from now on. :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey burkart.....I assume you run in the KC and Kansas regions? I've run at Arrowhead once, haven't made it down to the Woodlands yet....but it would be great to head to an event with someone that has been in the area for a while.

I graduated from KSU in May. I was prez of KSU Motorsports there and we went to events mainly in Salina, but in Wichita and KC as well. I'm very ready to get into the Solo II community here in KC!

What would you recommend for a replacement for the RE070s for a daily drivable autox tire? I was thinking Azenis....any comments?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Azenis are cleaning up in STX. I'd go with those cause they are good and they are cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Outta town this weekend

The azenis tires are great, and they're cheap for the 245's ($120's the last I looked). I've been hearing a lot about the new Kumho street tire that more and more STX guys are switching over too. The Kumho Ecsta or something like that. The RE070's are just as sticky as the azenis, but they aren't as friendly when they're hot. At the last event that I ran the RE070's I took a water sprayer to cool the tires between runs, which helped my times quite a bit. Of course I have to do the same thing with my Hoosiers now but that's different.

I personally would go with the Azenis due to the larger tread blocks. You could get the maximum amount of rubber actually connected to the ground, and they're okay in the rain. The Kumho's have grooves all over the place and are much better in the wet for sure, but how often does it rain around here anymore? We're pretty much in a drought.

For winter, get rid of the azenis', you'll be better off with the RE070's and they don't look like they'll be great for snow either, but the Azenis' are like little skis on the slick stuff. This past winter I got stuck on level ground in my WRX because of those tires.

Just about anytire would be find for daily driving, the azenis are going to be noisy like the RE070's, and if you wear the azenis wrong with abuse on the track, they get louder! Don't let that worry you though. The azenis' has good stiff sidewalls, and the treatwear of 200 allows them to last a while too for the price.

Branden

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: How much Octaine

Not much persoanl expereince on these tires but I have been doing a lot of reading on them lately. The VRs and the azenis seem to be very extremely popular. The problem I have read about with the Khumo Ecstas are they don't last anywhere near as long as the the other two tires. I am not sure if they would be worth it if I have to replace them twice as fast.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Great info. I think I'm pretty set on Azenis for replacements for the RE070s, but I'm stil debating winter tires now. My Toyo FZ4s made great street tires and were pretty good in the snow/ice. I'd go with a straight snow tire...but like you said, how often does it really snow and I don't feel like sliding around during the 90% of the time there is no snow on the ground.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think some of the Dunlop tires might make a good middle ground between summer dry perfomace, and snow tire in some of their all season offerings. Their sport 2000 tire seems to be a good option, however it's a bit pricey. You can get a set of Hoosier race tires for about the same price.

Of course, some people recommend that you downsize your tires for winter, a narrower tire is supposebly better than a fat tire when it comes to cutting through snow and ice. I can understand the logic, but have no experience with it. When it comes down to it the decision is yours. I myself will be driving all winter on the RE070's and when it snows there will be one place my car will go.....in the garage. :wink: I'll chance the snow in my wifes WRX, but not my own.

Branden

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Just hope the temps don't drop too far below freezing. That is another reason I am going with a full winter tire. There are some like the Pirellis and Dunlops that got great dry handling reviews. Even when it is dry around here it is usually real cold and there is so much salt on the roads you really can't drive too agressively anyway.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
prost893 said:
Not much persoanl expereince on these tires but I have been doing a lot of reading on them lately. The VRs and the azenis seem to be very extremely popular. The problem I have read about with the Khumo Ecstas are they don't last anywhere near as long as the the other two tires. I am not sure if they would be worth it if I have to replace them twice as fast.
I can concur with the Vicroracer Ecstas notlasting very long. Mine didn't make it through the season. I had cords showing everywhere after yesterdays event. :cry:

Brandon, are you 100% SURE that 245's will fit? I am going to order a set of Victoracer V700's since the Hoosiers are sooooo expensive and I want to make sure they won't rub.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Branden (or anyone with 245's),
What rims are you using and what is the offset? It sounds like a 245/45/17 will fit the stock wheel with +53 offset, but has anyone tried a 245 with +48 or other offset?
Could someone please measure the clearance with whatever wheels they are using?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Xman,
Did you get your kumho's yet? If so, how close is the fit and do you get any rubbing during hard cornering or over bumps?

I'll be attending the Subaru Challenge later this month, so I'll be ordering rims and tires soon.

What rims are you guy's using? I may end up mounting my race tires on the stock rims and use the new rims for street tires. The advantage of using stock rims for kumho's is the offset (+53). This provides the max clearance between tire and fender compared to most of the aftermaket wheels, which typically have offsets between 40 and 48, with a few at 50-52. :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Just got mine from Van Bortel...

Danno, I am not going to get replacement tires this season after all. I can only make two more events and I don't want the tires sitting all winter.

I hope the new 710's that I am hearing rumors about will be out when I need them.

I am using Rota SDR's. I think for next spring I will put the race tires on the stock wheels to take advantage of the offset and use the SRD's for the street (the anthrasite finish will look really mean too).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, to answer my own question I finally tried it myself and I'm excited to say....... the Kumho 255's fit with stock rims!!! No rubbing!!

After mounting the tires and wheels, I tried to make them rub and was unable to. First I tried by loading up the rear of the car with extra weight (full tank of gas and 170lbs worth of rims and tires), then had someone stand on the rear door opening and slowly jump up and down to load the suspension while I watched. Not even close to contacting the fender.

I kept the kumho's on and went for a long drive to heat cycle the tires, again no rubbing!

I'll try to post some pics later.

Also must say the steel grey Rota SDRs look pretty nice on my silver STi. These will be nice for use as street set up.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Thanks Danno, Looks like I'll be going 255 also :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
what exact size(255/45/17 or 255/40/17 or 255/35/17....etc?????)??
on stock rims(17x7.5)??
please post/send pics, seeing is beleiving??!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
245/40/17 Kumho Ecsta MX $130 each at Tire rack. That's what I will be ordering for spring. Mounted on the Grey SDR's for the street. Kumho Victoracer V700 or the new V710's 255/40/17 on the stock BBS wheels. The V700's are $156 each heat cycled from Tire rack.

I am confident the 255's will fit when on the BBS but not so sure with the SDR's so I will only go 235 for the street. That should be enough anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know if 245-45-17 tires will clear with any of the 48 offset rims? Thinking about the Azenis with Rotas or ASA. If the 255-40 clears on the stock 53 offset rims it seems that 245-45 should clear with 48 offset. Any body tried this yet?

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts