IW STi Forum banner

autocross alingment

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  The_Wolf 
#1 ·
My STi is a daily driver and I'm planning on doing around 5 autocross events this year. Should I get a performance-based alingment? Is there an ideal amount of neg. camber that will help out for autocrossing but not be too much for street use? Thanks

#2 ·
Do you have any suspension modifications? Unless you have camber plates or bolts, it will not be possible to get "too much" neg. camber - there is very little available from the factory.

Assuming stock, just have them get max. neg camber in front and zero toe all around. Rear camber is not really adjustable.

#4 ·
1.8 degrees of camber in the front and .8 in the rear. this was good for tire wear between the street and the track. I got 32K out of the stock tires. At the the last auto-X a guy had a stock STI with some crazy slicks and ran 1.5 seconds faster than me. He was in A-stock and I was in SM ( my mods are in my sig ). Maby you should get some slicks.

#6 ·
If you want to run in A Stock, you can get a 27mm FSB and put R comp tires on your wheels- the top guys here are using 245/40-17 Hoosiers or 245/45 Kumho 710s. Get the most negative camber you can get from the front using the stock camber bolt, and push your rears so it has about the same camber as the fronts.

If you are not that serious, run stock tires in STU. This class is not as fast as AS because you must have at least 140 tread life tires. You can change both sway bars [27F 24R is good], and get camber plates. Then you can set the front camber to -2.0 for the street and move it to -2.6 to -3.0 for AutoX. The rears can be pushed to about -1.5 or -1.6 and left there for street and AutoX.

Toe-in is 0.0 on street driving for front and rear, and changing your camber to -3.0 will give you some toe-out, which is good for quick handling and will wear your tires out if you don't change the camber back before you drive home from the track.

The best way to get fast is to take an AutoX driving course. This does more good than any mod you can make to your car. Then get a lot of runs in.
Also- walk the course at least 3 times, at least once with an experienced driver with another STI.

#7 ·
XDNBC said:
If you are not that serious, run stock tires in STU. This class is not as fast as AS because you must have at least 140 tread life tires. You can change both sway bars [27F 24R is good], and get camber plates. Then you can set the front camber to -2.0 for the street and move it to -2.6 to -3.0 for AutoX. The rears can be pushed to about -1.5 or -1.6 and left there for street and AutoX.
If you're not serious?

Check out Brandon Burkhardt's STU times at HPT, .2 seconds off the time posted by the fastest A-stock driver.

http://www.kansasregionscca.org./soloii_041507_results.htm

STU allows some pretty good mods, but I'm starting to think that fast times are really its about that front sway bar for our car. Think Strano or whiteline 27-29 (as if the whitelines are available).

#9 ·
thunderbird said:
If you're not serious?

Check out Brandon Burkhardt's STU times at HPT, .2 seconds off the time posted by the fastest A-stock driver.

http://www.kansasregionscca.org./soloii_041507_results.htm

STU allows some pretty good mods, but I'm starting to think that fast times are really its about that front sway bar for our car. Think Strano or whiteline 27-29 (as if the whitelines are available).
Since the most important factors [in order of effect] are driver ability, tires and front sway bar for our STIs; it will be very difficult to make up for 245 Hoosier and V710, etc R comp tires and a large FSB used in AS.
Of course, if you are a very quick driver, that can make up for almost anything :D .

#10 ·
pax multipler is slightly worse for AS vs STU, thus theoretically R-comps are worth more than STU mods.

So in a stock car w/ street tires, you may be better off running in STU class anyway. Depends on your local competition. Plus a lot of regions have a "street tire" class (separate from the STS/STX/STU/etc, so it would be AS/street tire or something)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.