IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a little research in my spare time here and I think I've come up with a way to rig up auto-up for our power windows. I'm still trying to figure the best way to 'logic' control it, but I think this way will work.

Oh, and before someone says "Go buy the DEI kit for $70"....this should cost around $10 to do. ;)

Anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, or wants?

As of now, it's looking like it would be a small CB, maybe 2" square, it would be a simple hook up under the window switch in the door, and would be as simple as a small additional momentary switch. I'm trying to get around having another switch, but the OEM auto-down feature doesn't lend itself to be torn apart easily to reveal its logic secrets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, or wants?
1. A pressure sensor so it doesn't cut your (or your child's) fingers off.
2. An "all up/down" button so all the windows are auto-up/down (with pressure sensors).
3. (combined with #2) A sexy british female voice that says, "raising windows" or "lowering windows".

But seriously, all I really want is an auto-down for the passenger side (on the driver's door).

Since you've been digging around, is the switch the key to the auto function, or is there some circuitry in there that does the real work? Seems like it would be easy enough to replace the passenger-side switch (on the driver's door) with an auto-switch. Once that's done, it would be just as easy to replace the rest of the switches on the driver's door.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now, I'm just focusing on the driver's window. Once the circuitry is developed, it should be easy to apply this to all of the windows.

The 'pressure sensor' is the tricky part...which is the only reason I don't have this done already. On vehicles with auto up, there is a way it is monitoring the load on the motor. This isn't a sensor per say, but a current/voltage limit in the circuit.

I think I'm on to something...but we'll see how it actually works.

Keep em coming.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a Lexus that had auto up/down on all windows. I wanted to do that mod to my MR2 so I looked into it further.
What I found was that not only there were "pressure sensors", there was an ECU to analys the data and determine if the glass needs to be retracted. So I gave up because I thought it was getting a bit too complicated. Hope this helps.
If you got this working, I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
858 Posts
for a pressure sensor, just monitor the voltage. actually the current. as it hits the stop, or a someone's finger, the voltage will go down and the current will go up.

make sure you use a very good sensor or else this might mean life or limb...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup....already got that much.....another engineer from NASIOC and I are working on it. Determined the current draw at run and stall....shouldn't be too hard to decern the difference. I believe the current draw at run was around 3-4.5A while at stall it jumps to 14.5A.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eh....not really. I keep trying to think of the best way to do this component wise and I can't figure it out. I've got an EE from NASIOC helping me with it, and I think he's pretty busy too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts