IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question regarding boost psi

Im serious thinking about buying a WRX STi and i want to know what is the best stereo options that i can put in with the car. I want to spend no more than about $1,000.00. I want 2 apms one for the car, and one for the system, i want i think 1 good 12 speaker. and since the STi doesnt come with the radio whats a good radio that i could put into it. I have another question also, does the STi even come with speaker holes, so that if you want you can put like 6x9 in it, or what are the dimensions for the litle speakers. that you would put in the back and the front. I'd appreciate all your help, after all i am a girl but i do know cars. just not the audio side of it. :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
First off, welome to the forum.

OK, let's see, you want to spend no more than $1k but want 2 amps and a 12? Unless you buy all used stuff and install it yourslef I doubt it can be done for that amount of money. The STi comes pre-wired for speakers with holes and grills already there. Getting speakers to fit is the fun part. 6.5" speakers can fit in the front doors and rear doors. I think the Subaru stereo comes with 5.25" speakers, not sure. More specifically what would you like to have... good sound quality, be able to pay it real loud, or just decent sound and easy install of everything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome.
Im not going to get the used, but i do have a connection where i can get a big discount on all my audio stuff that i need. I do want a decent sound but also i want to play it loud when a song needs it, like some songs by rang against the machine. but i also want to play it soft when i t needs be. Im just not totally sure what exactly sure that i want to do. i just want to know what is the top end that i could do with the car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From Bothell as well!!!

The top end is anything you want, but it will be expensive. The WRX/STI is not the easiest vehicle to install a stereo into. The doors are very shallow. So, if you want an audio system using quality equipment, 2 amps and a 12....it will most likey cost you more for the installation than for the equipment. Unless you use very inexpesive equipment and get the installation for a great price, $1k for a system as you described is unlikey to be had.
It is not necessary to use 2 amplifiers. You can have a VERY decent system with a single 4-channel amp. The speakers in the rear doors are for "fill" and do not need amplification. This STILL does not necessarily bring the price down to $1k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i also dont really have a problem with the installation either since i know somebody that works at a dealership, thats why im getting such a big discount on the stereo stuff and i can get the installation for a good price too.
Well let me ask this then: What have other people installed in there WRX/STi? Im just trying to get an idea of what i can possible install.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well my system was a big snowball effect , I went way overboard, and spent 5 times what you are looking to spend. Like you I wanted it to sound good loud or quiet. The key will be the amount of watts you feed to the speakers. You can have a $1k pair of speakers but if you are not giving them at least the RMS they require they will not sound that great especially when you turn the volume up. Whatever speakers you get at least give them the watts they recommend. You might want to start by looking for some speakers that don't require hundreds of watts, then get an amp that will power them effectively, then get a decent head unit and then a sub with an amp for that, or just get a 5 channel amp that will power everything. Someone posted what you could get for the cost of the optional Subaru setup, not sure where it is though, you might want to do a search, but anyway the cost was around $1k. Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can install just about anything you want with the right installer. Are you asking for suggestions on what speakers will fit without modifying the door panels? Are you asking for suggestions on what sounds good?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Focal or Dynaudio components in the doors and a Focal or JL sub.....a single 12 in a ported box should be fine unless you really want to push air.....then you might want to try 2x10"s but you will lose a lot of space in the trunk......Zapco or Phoenix Gold amps.
Most good quality components will not fit in the doors without custom door panels. The Dyns definitely won't fit. Focal Polyglass will probably fit, but the Polykevlar and Utopia definitely will not. MB Quart components aren't as high-quality, but are pretty decent and will probably fit in the doors.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My stereo was 3000 installed with the Dynamat Extreme.

Alpine 9815 Head Unit
Alpine XM amp
Focal Polyglass 6.5 components {front doors}
Focal Access 5.25 coaxial {rear doors}
3/4" spacers for speakers from East Coast Scooby
JL W3 12" sub woofer - secured with industrial Velcro
JL 250/1 amp for sub
JL 300/4 for speakers

I bought the 300/4 on eBay for $300.00 used. It sounds great to me.
I have pictures on my web site.

Happy hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts