IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While rotating my wheels/tires last night I noticed one of the blue Work aluminum lugs was harder to get off so I knew they where toast. I always remove them and reinstall them with hand tools, never any air tools. But still this one stripped and melted into the threads of the wheel stud. I had to sit there with a right angled tip pick and a small hammer to tap out the melted aluminum out of the threads of that wheel stud, until a good lug would thread on there smoothly by hand. Has this happened to any of you?

Any of you guys have a spare blue Work lug I can buy off of you? Or at least refer me to a vendor that will sell me one or two seperately .

·
Registered
800 Posts
Did you use a torque wrench to tighten your lugs? i have 2 sets of lugs and have used them at the track and i have not encountered this problem after 2 years of use.

as for selling an individual lug, i doubt that there is such a thing. i know that you can get replacement valvestems but this is not what you need at the moment.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I torqued them down to 85lbs. It may be when I had tires changed that the mechanic used an impact gun to remove them but I aways instruct them to install them with a torque wrench. I always hand thread them in first as far as I can go. If I feel any resistance I'll stop, back it out and inspect the threads. Of course shops would prefer to sell you another set but customer service wise it really sucks to have to buy another set to replace one. I emailed sales at Work usa. We'll see what they say.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
**** i wouldn't go over 75.

plus it helps to let them cool off before taking them off.

and using a gun to spin them off and on isn't going to hurt anything, it's when you use the impact to break them loose and to torque them

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
that's strange, what did you do the day before?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hadn't removed wheels since mount and balance. Most likly got stripped by installer using impact gun to remove them.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
you hadn't removed your wheels for 2 years? yikes.

an impact gun wont damage them to even break them loose unless they are already melted on to the lug.

it's torquing them down to 250 ft/lbs where the issue is. or breaking the key when trying to break them free with an impact.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T3h_Clap said:
you hadn't removed your wheels for 2 years? yikes.

an impact gun wont damage them to even break them loose unless they are already melted on to the lug.

it's torquing them down to 250 ft/lbs where the issue is. or breaking the key when trying to break them free with an impact.
No, not 2 yrs, about 3 months since I had my S03's mounted and balanced. They may have used a impact gun to remove them but I instructed them to use a torque wrench to install them, maybe he cross threaded that one. Either way I had to use a pick and a small hammer to tap out the melted aluminum on the wheel stud, using a good nut to make sure it threaded on smoothly, if not I would reinspect for more aluminum.

·
Registered
800 Posts
calisti said:
No, not 2 yrs, about 3 months since I had my S03's mounted and balanced. They may have used a impact gun to remove them but I instructed them to use a torque wrench to install them, maybe he cross threaded that one. Either way I had to use a pick and a small hammer to tap out the melted aluminum on the wheel stud, using a good nut to make sure it threaded on smoothly, if not I would reinspect for more aluminum.
that sucks

i mean ive had both sets for 2 years and no issues. its too late to go back to the installer. its unfortunate but in the future you just might want to mount the wheels yourself.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm probably going to buy the Motegi blue lugs from ebay. These are steel so I shouldn't have a problem with these plus they're about $30 shipped.

·
Registered
800 Posts
calisti said:
I'm going to order the Motegi blue steel lugs. These are steel so I shouldn't have this problem in the future plus they're $30 shipped.
order yourself a set of extra keys, those break often. be aware that with motegi lugs it opens yourself to having your wheels stolen as anyone can go buy a key. how do i know? my friend had his wheels taken from him in the driveway of his house.

not that im saying people cant take the work lugs off, but at least they need one of 3 keys to remove them. but like anything, if someone wants it bad enough they'll figure something out.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wow, I was actually able to purchase replacement lugs from WORK Wheels USA / AKH Trading Inc. @ $7.50 each, ordered 3. I could have picked them up but can't get there during the week so total was $34.24 including 7.75% tax and $10 flat rate shipping. That would suck to have to purchase a whole set to replace one. Good thing I ended up emailing the main distributor and also emailed Work japan. All the Work dealers said I had to buy another set.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I couldn't get even one full season out of a set of Aluminum lug nuts. Threads galled changing every weekend, or so.

Like the idea, but impractical for Church Mouse Racing...

·
Registered
800 Posts
calisti said:
Wow, I was actually able to purchase replacement lugs from WORK Wheels USA / AKH Trading Inc. @ $7.50 each, ordered 3. I could have picked them up but can't get there during the week so total was $34.24 including 7.75% tax and $10 flat rate shipping. That would suck to have to purchase a whole set to replace one. Good thing I ended up emailing the main distributor and also emailed Work japan. All the Work dealers said I had to buy another set.
did you talk to jim at akh? hes very knowledgable about all sorts of wheels and manufacturing practice.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
STIBLITZ said:
did you talk to jim at akh? hes very knowledgable about all sorts of wheels and manufacturing practice.
Yes I did. At least they were able to provide good customer service by me being able to buy replacements.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts