IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you own Ohlins Fixed Perch Struts?



I've been searching around and a number of people have mentioned that inverted struts tend to clunk by design, yet I see no one that is complaining of their Ohlin Fixed Perch Inverted struts clunking or making any noise. I see several possible reasons for this:

1. Ohlins are better quality and don't clunk.
2. Not enough people have put enough miles on Ohlins for the clunk to develop.
3. After spending $2k on struts no one is willing to admit to themselves that their Ohlins make noise as well.
4. Clunking is not a function of the Inverted Strut design.
5. Ohlins make other noises not characterized as a clunk.

Of course I would like to believe that #1 is in fact true; however, I'm not willing to bet $2000 on that. Afterall they only have a 1yr warranty and it took over a year and 22k miles for my OEM KYB Struts to clunk.

Has anyone owned these long term? Please only first hand accounts. Though interesting, third party anecdotel stories are of little value. Please post both the mileage, age, useage (track/autox/street) of your Ohlin Fixed Perch setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
There are MANY threads on NASIOC where the original 30 or so buyers of the Ohlins fixed perch that we brought to market talk about their experiences. The oldest of the bunch and people with over 30k on theirs speak of ZERO clunks and or problems.

We also have very good relations with our clients and with on going sales and purchases no onea has ever mentioned it to us, NOT one.

myles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
JDM ADDICT has these as does many, many more. A search on NASIOC will result in about 3 threads where each person speaks of their personal experiences.

I personally own a set from July of 2005 with about 15k HARD test miles on mine, used between 3 different employees cars. The general rule is around here...." TRY TO BREAK THEM"..and that goes with all the products we sell and test.

Myles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
RaceComp Engineering said:
There are MANY threads on NASIOC where the original 30 or so buyers of the Ohlins fixed perch that we brought to market talk about their experiences. The oldest of the bunch and people with over 30k on theirs speak of ZERO clunks and or problems.

We also have very good relations with our clients and with on going sales and purchases no onea has ever mentioned it to us, NOT one.

I personally own a set from July of 2005 with about 15k HARD test miles on mine, used between 3 different employees cars. The general rule is around here...." TRY TO BREAK THEM"..and that goes with all the products we sell and test.

myles
Myles thanks for your posts. I posted this after searching long and hard and I have only found a single long-term review. As you mentioned It's by JDM Addict:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15166417&postcount=299

You know how searches go if you use the wrong terms you'll never find something. I have read 30+ threads between Nasioc and IWSTI and did a google search. FYI google always pulls up threads that you were involved in -even ones from the evolutionM forums. If you could point to a specific thread with more long-term reviews that would be very helpful.

I read all your reviews. Please correct me if I'm worng, but you had yours on the car for less then a year before you started testing other setups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
thrlskr said:
Myles thanks for your posts. I posted this after searching long and hard and I have only found a single long-term review. As you mentioned It's by JDM Addict:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15166417&postcount=299

You know how searches go if you use the wrong terms you'll never find something. I have read 30+ threads between Nasioc and IWSTI and did a google search. FYI google always pulls up threads that you were involved in -even ones from the evolutionM forums. If you could point to a specific thread with more long-term reviews that would be very helpful.

I read all your reviews. Please correct me if I'm worng, but you had yours on the car for less then a year before you started testing other setups.
My set has been off and on my car ( 04 sTI) and a local beta testers 04 sTI who we call curb killer.

We were the ones to convince Ohlins USA to import these and it was done by ALOT of commitment. I saw a GAP in the market for good quality dampers that wont be noisey and a person can use them from stock to greater than our current spec RCE springs. The PCV technology ensures the best of both worlds.

I will find the other threads for you.

Myles
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
ok...

1,151 track miles
7,053 miles on me ohlins...no noise, not a sound.

-18 from full stiff on the street, full stiff to -4 on the track...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Myles & Tonemeister,

Thank you both. You two have the most comprehensive reviews that I've been able to find.

Myles thanks for bring these (and RCE camber plates) to us- I just with there was a larger sampling of ohlins user to survey. Have you sold any to San Diego enthusiasts? Maybe I can bum a ride?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
thrlskr said:
Myles & Tonemeister,

Thank you both. You two have the most comprehensive reviews that I've been able to find.

Myles thanks for bring these (and RCE camber plates) to us- I just with there was a larger sampling of ohlins user to survey. Have you sold any to San Diego enthusiasts? Maybe I can bum a ride?

speedventures and redline, sign up, come on out, i'll give you a ride!!!

if you don't have a helmet, myles'll sell you one!!!

even at the track, when i adjusting the dampers or the camber...it's like whoaaaaa...ohlins...i'm not trying to impress anyone, what else is there, fixed perch, that has the build quality?

these big, fat, robust, dampers make the stockies look like they didn't come off your sti -at all...like it's the wrong part. i don't want to poppy-clunk anymore...it's what i wanted...no muckin' about...drive out to the track, jack up the car, off the wheels, adjust the camber plates, adjust the dampers [did i mention you have a knob at the bottom of the strut...no removing of the back seat to adjust -no toolz!] track wheels on...go have fun!!! reverse and go home...done!!

get sum,

youz welcome :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
My review after 2k with Ohlins

These things are great and I am very happy. Now, I do have a little noise from the rear. It seems like the right rear is the main culprit. But here's the thing.

On smooth to fairly rough or even rough roads there is no noise at all. When I get to a road in the country, where I work, I get a little "knock" noise. It is only on this road though and this small patch of road is crazy rough. It is tore up and is almost like mini speed bumps all over. I doubt even raised trucks would be quiet over this thing. I did check the endlinks and tops of struts and they are both tight. I am such a freak. I wan't all the answers to everything on my car. :)

I am so attached to it now. I think I like it more than my wife. ;)


btw. I have mine set at 14 from full soft daily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I

tonemeister said:
speedventures and redline, sign up, come on out, i'll give you a ride!!!

if you don't have a helmet, myles'll sell you one!!!

even at the track, when i adjusting the dampers or the camber...it's like whoaaaaa...ohlins...i'm not trying to impress anyone, what else is there, fixed perch, that has the build quality?

these big, fat, robust, dampers make the stockies look like they didn't come off your sti -at all...like it's the wrong part. i don't want to poppy-clunk anymore...it's what i wanted...no muckin' about...drive out to the track, jack up the car, off the wheels, adjust the camber plates, adjust the dampers [did i mention you have a knob at the bottom of the strut...no removing of the back seat to adjust -no toolz!] track wheels on...go have fun!!! reverse and go home...done!!

get sum,

youz welcome :D
I'm at Speed Ventures and Redline events at least 6-10 times a year; I run with int/adv with Speed Ventures and advanced with Redline. We've probably met before. Are you gonna give horse thief a go in November it looks like a fun little track!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
thrlskr said:
I'm at Speed Ventures and Redline events at least 6-10 times a year; I run with int/adv with Speed Ventures and advanced with Redline. We've probably met before. Are you gonna give horse thief a go in November it looks like a fun little track!

...er, d00d, you haven't heard???

aaron just picked up laguna seca the same weekend as horse thief...i'm waiting for aaron to let me switch...woohoo!!!

my 'handle' is the same on redline and sv...who are you. what car?

w/sv i'm #465 ...shoe polish!

let's go!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
srt2sti said:
These things are great and I am very happy. Now, I do have a little noise from the rear. It seems like the right rear is the main culprit. But here's the thing.

On smooth to fairly rough or even rough roads there is no noise at all. When I get to a road in the country, where I work, I get a little "knock" noise. It is only on this road though and this small patch of road is crazy rough. It is tore up and is almost like mini speed bumps all over. I doubt even raised trucks would be quiet over this thing. I did check the endlinks and tops of struts and they are both tight. I am such a freak. I wan't all the answers to everything on my car. :)

I am so attached to it now. I think I like it more than my wife. ;)


btw. I have mine set at 14 from full soft daily.
I have answered calls liek that before, and several reviews have that complaint early on,..BUT all have come back with a end link issue, and one guy actually had a bad rear strut top mount. I would URGE you to double check all bolts and nuts and the end links. Remember most pherical end links make nosie after a short time. I know My _ _ _ _'s do, and my _ _ _ _ _ _
s do also. Not to mention the 2 brands that sound alike. The links function properly but make sounds that transfer thru the strut and rear of the car.

I had a customer not use the rubber pads on the perch once and called me ona Sunday freaking OUT. He sent me a picture to my cell while I was at dinner with the wife and I knew right away the issue.

None the less, double check everything,..and dont forget group-n mounts have some weird NVH sounds sometimes.

Myles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
thrlskr said:
Myles & Tonemeister,

Thank you both. You two have the most comprehensive reviews that I've been able to find.

Myles thanks for bring these (and RCE camber plates) to us- I just with there was a larger sampling of ohlins user to survey. Have you sold any to San Diego enthusiasts? Maybe I can bum a ride?
if you call me tomorrow, I Can check the computer. I have a guy in Hollywood I think with a set.

Again, most people with the Ohlins are totally GEEKED to share this with others. When I say GEEKED, I am talking about ME also.

Myles
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
RaceComp Engineering said:
I have answered calls liek that before, and several reviews have that complaint early on,..BUT all have come back with a end link issue, and one guy actually had a bad rear strut top mount. I would URGE you to double check all bolts and nuts and the end links. Remember most pherical end links make nosie after a short time. I know My _ _ _ _'s do, and my _ _ _ _ _ _
s do also. Not to mention the 2 brands that sound alike. The links function properly but make sounds that transfer thru the strut and rear of the car.

I had a customer not use the rubber pads on the perch once and called me ona Sunday freaking OUT. He sent me a picture to my cell while I was at dinner with the wife and I knew right away the issue.

None the less, double check everything,..and dont forget group-n mounts have some weird NVH sounds sometimes.

Myles
don't over torque the strut mounts!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
RaceComp Engineering said:
I had a customer not use the rubber pads on the perch once Myles
Rubber mounts? Can can you explain that? Or will it become obvious when the Ohlins arrive?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
Greg said:
Rubber mounts? Can can you explain that? Or will it become obvious when the Ohlins arrive?
hey it's me!

greg, when you pull the springs/struts, there is a thin rubber ring, like a big washer...it goes on top of the spring/strut...perhaps you can check scooby mods. i'm sure a pic is posted there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
tonemeister said:
hey it's me!

greg, when you pull the springs/struts, there is a thin rubber ring, like a big washer...it goes on top of the spring/strut...perhaps you can check scooby mods. i'm sure a pic is posted there...
Cool, thanks. I didn't see any thing on SM but it sounds like I will see it when I pull things apart.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top