IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Schroth harness finally arrived today. I dashed home from my last lab to install it but light was failing, so I had to pull into the carport and cut on the dim lights. To make a long story short, the install got done and I wanted to check fit and all and to go get food. So it's just shy of 8:30 PM and it has been dark since just after 5.

Going behind the mall where I live is a road called "Mall Road" (original, huh?). I was going down that road towards the mall so I could go to Wendy's. Out of nowhere, a boxy shaped Honda 4-door with 3-4 kids in it nearly slams into the side of my car when trying to take my lane. I flash my lights at them, so they swerve completely into my lane and stand on the brake. I honk at them, so the douschebag in the back (darkish skin, think tanned--also had black hair) makes sure I know he has a middle finger or two. So they then creep to the red light. Light changes and they sit there. I honestly don't know WHY, but they were doing this to be asses.

I honked again and the douschebag opens his door to get out. I cut right around them to go into the mall parking lot and they cut right to block my path, so I revved and dumped the clutch as fast as I could. Given the old Honda vs. STi thing, I obviously ended up in front without getting hit. I realized they cannot get out of the car again if we are moving, so didn't speed through the parking lot, so the Honda was a few inches off my bumper, honking and flashing his brights, people waving middle fingers out almost every window.

An SUV ahead of me is at the stop sign leading back onto Mall Road. I stop behind it, so at least 3 doors on the Honda open and people jump out and come running at my car. I told myself traffic law can go to hell, so blasted around the SUV and onto Mall Road, took FULL advantage of the power of the STi and took off towards Cox Creek Parkway (much larger road) and took the curve onto Cox Creek at 60 mph (Mall Rd. limit = 35; Cox Creek limit = 45), then blasted up to Wendy's.

At the time, I wasn't sure if that qualified as enough of an emergency to warrant using "911," so went ahead through the drive-thru. Got my food, headed back down Mall Road and saw two marked police cars in the mall parking lot. I pulled up and talked to them and told them about the kids. The cops told me they like my car and given the car I have, their suggestion, if it happens again, is to ignore traffic law in order to get away safely (ie. outrun them), then call the police. They asked which way I thought the kids went and since there were 2 patrol cars, I gave them the only two options the kids had to go and started back on my way home.

I honestly don't know what was going on there. The kids were NOT nice and NOT admiring the car. I don't know if they wanted to attack me, rob me or just vandalize the car. My dad pointed out they could have wanted to try to jack the car. Who knows. It's crazy. The harness helped some but I'm still getting used to it. With that to adjust, the car'd be hard to take, haha. I'm now watching for these kids. If I see them, tag # goes to police and they learn to bend over and take it.

To top it all off, I'd posted this on a WRX forum and some guy actually went so far as to tell me I DESERVED to be attacked and my car stolen. What a tool...

Sorry for the rant...need to get it off my chest.

RN

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I were you, I would do the same: outrunning the law if the situation allows. I am glad you are safe, but it was scary. I guess the STI is a good escape tool.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Klui said:
If I were you, I would do the same: outrunning the law if the situation allows. I am glad you are safe, but it was scary. I guess the STI is a good escape tool.
Yeah...a great escape vehicle. :) Funny thing is when the kids were coming after me, the only thoughts I had were along the lines of "my car better not get a scratch from this" and "opening on the right...take it." Some may take it that I'm trying to seem macho but fear never entered the situation...I had a big problem in need of solving. On another forum, someone suggested I get a weapon, but that's prolly not a good idea...

RN

·
Registered
56 Posts
well, i dont think i would get a weapon if i were you.. but if i were you i would keep an airsoft pistol in the glove box... if you see em again, and they look like theyre gonna try somethin, just wave to em... with the pistol in your hand :wink: . they look pretty realistic, and from another car, it would be damn convincing... although, the flipside of this is, they could have guns too (doubt it)... and then look what you have on your hands... at least the STi has the power to help you get out of those kinds of situations.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Glad you got away OK. The weapon thing is a big committment and responsibility. If you pull it out you have to be prepared to use it. If you hesitate with it you could get killed by it, or by the escalation that it brings about. It's a double edged sword. You used your head and that was good enough.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Well, that and courteous driving, too. People are going to stare our cars down, regardless. . . . just makes me a more cautious and courteous driver to avoid many situations. . . some like the one you just described.

It's hard to almost get hit by a reckless, ignorant, or just plain a-hole driver and NOT react to it. . . but for safety reasons, the best thing to do is nothing. If they continue to be irrational, even in the face of ignoring them, then get the tag #, call the police, and just slowly make your way away from them.

I'm sorry to say it, but half of what transpired could probably have been avoided. That said, I can't confess to never reacting to those situations, myself. However, having been driving a great many years and facing said situations, I know for a fact that backing off is the best policy.

Part of owning an STi is no-doubt being challenged by people with lesser cars and greater egos. And I'm not here to say you deserved any of what happened . . . just to say that a bit more caution can easily help us all avoid an escalated situation like that. Indeed, asses are all over the place, but you're definitely not one of them. :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ColonelSanders said:
but if i were you i would keep an airsoft pistol in the glove box... if you see em again, and they look like theyre gonna try somethin, just wave to em... with the pistol in your hand :wink: . they look pretty realistic, and from another car, it would be damn convincing... although, the flipside of this is, they could have guns too (doubt it)... and then look what you have on your hands...
Yes, threatening people that are as agressive as those described in this thread with a gun you don't really have is a good way to wind up dead. DON'T DO IT. Just get the hell out of there like you did. And good call on getting the cops involved.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yukonart said:
Well, that and courteous driving, too. People are going to stare our cars down, regardless. . . . just makes me a more cautious and courteous driver to avoid many situations. . . some like the one you just described.

It's hard to almost get hit by a reckless, ignorant, or just plain a-hole driver and NOT react to it. . . but for safety reasons, the best thing to do is nothing. If they continue to be irrational, even in the face of ignoring them, then get the tag #, call the police, and just slowly make your way away from them.

I'm sorry to say it, but half of what transpired could probably have been avoided. That said, I can't confess to never reacting to those situations, myself. However, having been driving a great many years and facing said situations, I know for a fact that backing off is the best policy.

Part of owning an STi is no-doubt being challenged by people with lesser cars and greater egos. And I'm not here to say you deserved any of what happened . . . just to say that a bit more caution can easily help us all avoid an escalated situation like that. Indeed, asses are all over the place, but you're definitely not one of them. :)
Thanks. I've already made it a habit to stop at least a half car length back from people and if their driving is really off the wall, I take another route. I'll still honk or flash lights if it's the only way to avoid being creamed or to alert a driver to a change in the light...I think that much is proper. This just came out of nowhere. I also now know well how to avoid these people when they DO start something and that 911 is not reserved for shootings or bombs or things like that...someone chasing you or trying to attack you qualifies as an emergency too. I guess my view on calling 911 was kind of childish and driven by what I've seen on TV and in movies, unfortunately... VERY glad the police corrected me on that.

I just have to be careful and watch out now. When I drove my PT, I never had to worry about this...it wasn't a "hot" car quite so sought after as this, plus makes for an awful getaway car. I guess owning a cool car has its downsides... :(

As far as the weapon issue, I brought it up because someone else suggested it. My family owns guns but I am not willing to carry one in the car unless it's being TAKEN somewhere else, as in transported to a new location. It'd be more dangerous for me to try and reach around to grab a weapon while driving like a maniac to avoid someone, plus it could get taken or escalate things...I'll let the police carry the guns.

RN

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
It's all good. . . . adrenaline can make us do things we wouldn't normally do. . .

Fight or flight reflexes can't always be 100% supressed. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yukonart said:
It's all good. . . . adrenaline can make us do things we wouldn't normally do. . .

Fight or flight reflexes can't always be 100% supressed. :)
Absolutely correct. Given my successful flight, I'll try to stick to flight from now on...it's easier and potentially less painful and damaging...and more likely to give you time to call for help. ;)

RN

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I got my STI for only a few days, one morning I was on a two lane road on my way to work. A guy in a Kia was weaving on the right lane. I decided to pass him and let him weave aroun behind me. But when I was passing he suddenly cut to my lane and I was almost hit at the right rear quarter panel. Since I was cautious, I stepped on the gas and escaped the hit. Boy, my heart was at my throat. Before I knew it, he passed me again and hitting the side curb on the right lane for no reason. From that moment, I knew he was probably DUI. I immediately backed off by a couple car lengths and watched him.

There was stop light coming up, he hit the curb on the right lane again and emergency braked short of a few inches from rear-ending a car up front. In such situation, better stay away.

As far as honking or flashing to cars that do not have their headlights on, you may not want to do that. I got an police email from a co-worker saying that some new gang members (for new member initiation) will shoot at cars that flash or honk them for not turning headlights on. Please don't ask if this email is credible. Bottom line, use your judgment and be careful. Like some of you said, asses are all over the place.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Klui said:
As far as honking or flashing to cars that do not have their headlights on, you may not want to do that. I got an police email from a co-worker saying that some new gang members (for new member initiation) will shoot at cars that flash or honk them for not turning headlights on. Please don't ask if this email is credible. Bottom line, use your judgment and be careful. Like some of you said, asses are all over the place.
Urban legend, it's been discussed on several of the hoax buster sites. I still don't flash people because people get pissed off for no reason but I would not particularly fear any gang bangers driving around w/o lights just so they can blast me one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad you and the car was alright. With the STi, you can outrun 99% of the car jackers. Car theftes with 12 sec. cars are as rare as it gets(maybe the one they just stole was).

My take on similar situations is this: Watch the hands and body language. Make sure you can see their hands at all time. Unless they can fire shots from their mouth, their hands are the only way to whip out a gun, knife, rock, lighter, whatever. Body language usually can predict how far the jacker will go to get your car, you, or both. It's all insticts so it depends on the person, but then after all, the best thing to do is to let the cops handle it even though I'd prefer to shoot them in the elbows and knee caps myself with the Jericho's in my avator.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
In a car like the STi, there is no reason to stop and try to do something about it. Pulling a gun can only escalate things, and should only be reserved for situations where you're not able to get away from whatever is going on. You did the right thing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just thought about it and realized...had I just blasted around them when they tried their first brake-check, it's likely I could have avoided most of their crap...though continuing to chase me was possible. I'll keep that in mind next time something similar happens...screw staying behind someone who wants to mess so bad, just get away.

Oh well...in the past.

RN

·
Registered
376 Posts
man that sucks dude.....better hope they dont ever see your car again...it'll suck not being able to park at the mall with a feeling of security cuz you never know when one of them might spot your car and vandalize it.....stupid kids......man if that ever happend to me (asuming im with friends and not in my sti, cuz i dont want that baby hurt....) i would seriously lay down the law on those kids :evil: pound the lil bastards till thier eyes bulge out :eek:
.........some kids just have it comin to htem.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: sold evo for sti- smartest thing i ever did

What about a nice tranq gun.

I've got the most powerful traq gun on the market I had to get it from Mexico.

:eek:

DUDE! You just took one in the jugular!

That's AWESOME!!!

Yeah :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They were probably just a bunch of jerk-offs that think they are tough (too much Sopranos). Get any one of them alone and they are little bitches. Seen it a million times : )

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
here's a quick tip that i've heard before. make sure your doors are locked when you are driving around. that way if someone does want to car jack you they can't just grab a door handle and let themselves in at a stop sign or light. or if you happen to get stuck behind some jerk-off. i guess this is how most carjackings happen. locking your doors will buy you an extra second or two to get away.
as for the gun, fake or real its probably not a good idea. a real gun would be ok if it was legally in your possesion and you felt there was no other way. the fake gun idea is just plain stupid. first of all its fake and the saying goes that you should'nt pull a gun if you are not ready to use it and number two if a cop happened to see you waving the gun he might just shoot you instead. we've all seen the police mistakenly shoot children who were sporting fake guns that looked alittle too real. best to just try to ignore the situation and try to get away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts