IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you go folks. The FIRST ATS triple plate carbon clutch built for the GDB/GDF STi 6 speed trans. Very smooth and can handle 1000 HP. I have to break it in this weekend. I chose the 1100 kg pressure plate. A 1300 kg is available as well as the twin plate and the new Pro-Spec single carbon clutch with carbon lining on the pressure plate.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
BTW, just incase anyone is interested, according to the core technology document, the STi stock clutch is 2050 lbs, or approximately 930 kg.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What's the damage on this puppy? How's the drivability? Can it be slipped?
Thanks.
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The entire assembly is 12.5 kg, the stock assembly is almost 20 kg. If you want light the Pro Spec is the lightest at 8 kg. The twin's are 11.3 kg. The clutch is actually carbon composite as carbon-carbon can not handle as much power and is more expensive. This way it lasts longer, has higher heat capacity (over 3000 degrees) and of course is fully rebuildable. I decided to price it at $2300 retail. It is actually really easy to drive. Yes it is aggressive take up but pedal pressure is not that heavy and there is some give to it for sure. No chatter. The plates rattle VERY slightly when you have the clutch pushed in. If I had a radio in this car I sincerely doubt I'd ever notice. The twin plate is a bit noisier. They also have a "soft type" with a different metal intermediate plate material which allows more give, softer feel and less noise but it is not recommended for drag. It is made for street car folks and you lose 20-30% holding capacity over regular type like mine.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
wow, that is awsome. I know I will be in for a set when the time comes! Great pics Dan! Is it $2300 for any of the setups (twin, triple, etc)? I really like that "soft type" setup as I'd like to just have a street clutch that could take some launches and such every now and then. I dont plan on consistantly drag racing my car though. Thanks for the info!

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Triple is $2300, Twin is $1900 and Pro Spec single is $1400. Triple is the smoothest and easiest to drive of the three. It is also the quietest and uses a lighter pressure plate for softer pedal feel.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Wow man, that sounds really tempting. I might save up for one of those whenever I start to have clutch problems. Do you have any layaway plans ;)?? hehe jk. Thanks again for the info!

O ya I meant to ask... how much is a rebuild on them? And how exactly does that work?

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We charge $400 to install one here plus $30 for new trans fluid. When it is time to replace you just have to buy the discs, pressure plate cover and release bearing. Voila, good as new!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
sorry to be annoying and repetitive, but how much would the 3 discs, pressure plate cover and release bearings be on a triple plate to replace? This sounds like a good venture and possibly save some money down the road and have the top notch #1 clutch... so im just getting all the details. Thanks Dan!

Robert~

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Sorry to pester, but for those of us that do not live in or close to your geographic location, what shop would you recommend for the installation of such components in CALI?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For LA I would recommend ATS's west coast distributor RB Motoring in LA area. I am their central distributor in the US. Robert I'll have to check on the cost as I have never had to rebuild one yet. The plates last a LONG time with carbon.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Thats no problem man, sounds like its really worth the cash.

Robert~

·
Registered
82 Posts
Now we're talk'n! As one leary of the pulley, this sounds like the way to lower Ip, but it aint cheap! The upside wth this is all the other bonuses that go with the multi-disc.

Here's my q's for Dan:
1) What flywheel should you use, and how much is it? - or is it incl in the #'s above?
2) If you "distribute" to RB Motoring, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy directly from you, then have them install only?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RB Motoring gets it from ATS Japan just like me so our prices are usually pretty similar. YOu won't have to pay sales tax or shipping from me though. The clutch includes the flywheel assembly as well in full chrome-moly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts