IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I am new to this form, you can call me Furyan. I bought a 2019 WRX STI Limited and all of the gear to upgrade this car: equal length headers, down-pipe, catback exhaust. Cobb Access port & controller, G20 turbo, ID 1050 injectors, FMIC ECT. This will be my first experience with a Subaru at this point bolt-on build, I've heard the horror stories on builds and plan to have my tuner give me the pros and cons of what I've bought and hope that it all works out. this will be the end of my two-cent introduction. Bows and waves goddbye

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Welcome.

have you bought all the parts already or are you planning on these? You’re missing a few things, research is key. What are your goals, what fuel will you be using. Are you catted on that dp? If not that accessport will be worthless.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not list all of the parts; I went with a catted system and am not planning on an E85 build. I'm going to stick to 93/91 octane build and all parts are in route to my tuning shop. The tuning shop has the list of items needed for my build; fuel rails, fuel pump ECT.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Are you just throwing parts and hoping it works? You should probably research more and set a goal for what you want out of the car. Throwing mods at it randomly is a recipe for disaster.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Negative, I have done my research and I am also an engine builder of the old-school V8's long before the rice burner wars when I was in California. This is just my first run with an EJ build of any kind so it's a work in progress and again it was just a silly introduction.

· Super Moderator
10,912 Posts
Clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. Expecting a help needed post in 2-3 months.

funny he mentions V8s. Could have bought any LS powered car and literally thrown parts at it and had a faster car for less$$
CT Boost, so what he didn't buy and LS? Neither did I and I have plenty of V8 history but much prefer a 4 cylinder challenge. No need to be nasty about it at all here (which is how I interpret your response here). If he does come back in 2-3 months needing help so be it, we all had to learn somewhere.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry if I do not know all of the lingo here, but I am not two years old either, and it never ceases to amaze me how people will quickly assume they know everything about a guy for the lack of a few buzz words that will tell everyone he is either a complete idiot or a guy who started with a pun and a few words about his project. What is that old saying, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time. Hopefully this is a tactful response for all involved.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Honestly I was just hoping you’d actually engage more and tell us plans, your actual goals, show pics etc. but you ignored and simply based on how you answered, it seemed like you didn’t do much research. I hope I’m wrong on that and you did, and it’s just the responses but whatever either way. Good luck.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Welcome aboard. You'll find that these cars are alot different than what you're used to. The engines arent glass but they arent as resiliant to change like an N/A engine like old school V8s and hondas. Proper tuning for pretty much any engine mod is an absolute must. Anytime you change the way the car breaths for any reason (yes even an air filter).....tune required. Maintenance, oil levels, and proper driving technics ensure getting the most out of these cars. Im sure if you search around, you'll find some of us long timers now old timers on here preaching it for years lol.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well truthfully, I wasn't going to build past 400hp and I've seen the horror stories of those who have either blown their engines or as it is stated here didn't do their research. I don't have any pictures yet but will soon, however, it is completely unnecessary for people to get angry because I didn't answer a question right away. Yes, I bought the parts already and am heading to the tuning ship later this week, I'll need the dyno information to know if I need more fuel going to the engine ECT. Like I've said before I've built motors but the flat 4 in itself is going to be a challenge, I'm willing to take on.
Yeah, like the statement how fast to you want to go son.

· Registered
2019 STI
7 Posts
Well truthfully, I wasn't going to build past 400hp and I've seen the horror stories of those who have either blown their engines or as it is stated here didn't do their research. I don't have any pictures yet but will soon, however, it is completely unnecessary for people to get angry because I didn't answer a question right away. Yes, I bought the parts already and am heading to the tuning ship later this week, I'll need the dyno information to know if I need more fuel going to the engine ECT. Like I've said before I've built motors but the flat 4 in itself is going to be a challenge, I'm willing to take on.
Yeah, like the statement how fast to you want to go son.
Based off of your profile, you're in AZ.

So--while going to a forum is a good place to start and get your feet wet in EJ land, I would 1000% of the time defer to your tuner as you have mentioned. They'll know more about what works and what doesn't, what you can get away with, and if you'll need some additional mods to make your "dream" come true.

I would go to said Tuner with a complete listing of EVERYTHING you want to put on the car, they'll walk you through everything.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tapion1981, thank you for the most honest response I could have asked for; fortunately for me i do have a good tuner who does have a list of things I want to do, and he has given me suggestions.
I look forward to posting the results when she is done. BTW, yes, I am in AZ

· Registered
108 Posts
Well truthfully, I wasn't going to build past 400hp and I've seen the horror stories of those who have either blown their engines or as it is stated here didn't do their research...
For context I did my research and still blew the motor.

I raced the hell out of the car though. 😅 So that may have been it. (It totally was...)

Your introduction to this forum was rough. Don't take it personally. There are a lot of people who are tired of folks showing up and blowing motors a few months later then blaming the platform. Also Cobb Greenspeed has everyone annoyed.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, your probably right, I hope I do not blow my motor with the build I'm going to run. Nevertheless, it's been my experience that most of the time when someone does blow a motor it usually the drivers fault no matter what he/she hears on the forums. I also cannot take it personally I was being silly to start with and rough :) (On the Codd Greenspeed why if I may be so bold as to ask?}

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Yeah, your probably right, I hope I do not blow my motor with the build I'm going to run. Nevertheless, it's been my experience that most of the time when someone does blow a motor it usually the drivers fault no matter what he/she hears on the forums. I also cannot take it personally I was being silly to start with and rough :) (On the Codd Greenspeed why if I may be so bold as to ask?}
While that’s true for many platforms, I have seen people buy all the right parts and have horrid tunes cause motor issues, or getting too power hungry. Although most the time it is owner/driver caused, mainly through people like you, coming from a new platform thinking something small will be ok without a tune, or x power is fine, etc. I’m trying to say knowledge of cars won’t exactly be perfect here. Idk the best way to articulate it.

and with the greenspeed update, it basically forced you to keep all emissions related items. Cats most people don’t care with the cat technology now a days. But for this platform, specifically tgv (tumble generator valve) deletes had to stay in place.Cobb used the wiring for these for flex sensors.Meaning since greenspeed. No more flex fuel, many who had parts were just stuck and couldn’t install, and many who were already tuned had to revert if they ever wanted any sort of adjustment. It left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth and i honestly doubt cobb will ever be as popular as it was.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Basically in a nutshell, if you want to use Cobb software to tune the car after the greenspeed update.....all emissions equipment must be in place and intact. The car has to be emissions complaint in order for the car to be tuned without resulting in a check engine light. Most Cobb tuners will not touch a car that isnt complaint now a days. That means the car has to have cat, tgv, air pump, oxygen sensors, no atmospheric dumps (EWG) ect ect ect.

· Registered
2015 STi Limited
14 Posts
Basically in a nutshell, if you want to use Cobb software to tune the car after the greenspeed update.....all emissions equipment must be in place and intact. The car has to be emissions complaint in order for the car to be tuned without resulting in a check engine light. Most Cobb tuners will not touch a car that isnt complaint now a days. That means the car has to have cat, tgv, air pump, oxygen sensors, no atmospheric dumps (EWG) ect ect ect.
Wait, EWG is going to give me issues on my tune revision on Greenspeed?

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Wait, EWG is going to give me issues on my tune revision on Greenspeed?
Yes and no. You can still tune with it. But most tuners won’t touch it unless it’s routed back into the downpipe before the cat. Venting to atmosphere and routing after the cat many will see as a liability. But since it’s not disabling emissions related codes you should be able to tune for that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts