IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the same year obviously, and would it be obvious to the dealer that the ecu has been replaced. In other words, if bought a used 05 ECU could I put it in and the SOA would not know that it was not the ecu that the factory installed. Is the cars VIN number in the programming or other distinguishing numbers?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't know what other car-specific info is stored on the ECU, but I do know that at the very least, you'd have to have your ECU reprogrammed to match the chip in your keys. Seeing as the dealer has to do this reprogramming, yes, they would know. Having said that, I don't see why a new ECU would void your warranty. Why do you need a new ECU? Please don't say "corrosion."

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doh! forgot about the key reprogramming. No the reason I ask is I am taking the car in for a few problems I am having and I bought a 05 sti ecu for crazy cheap so I thought that would be good insurance that the dealer would not be able to figure out I had an AP in the past. I know that some believe they can't tell if you unmarry but I guess I am just paranoid. Oh well guess I will just unmarry and hope they don't notice. Some report that the dealer was able to find out and some report it's impossible so I will just hope it's very difficult and they don't bother. I can easily sell the ecu to someone who fried their ecu with an ap or other flashing software and recoup my money.
Corrosion?! does that actually happen?

·
Registered
156 Posts
actually you will be surprised to find out that the regional
office, the one for florida is in Atlanta Georiga. Can read
how many times your ecu has been reprogrammed.

and far as swapping ecus, well if you know how to reprogram
the immobilizer and the chip in your key, it should be a snap.

but then what do i know?..use to run a performance department
at a subaru dealership.

·
Registered
296 Posts
u also need the vin number of the car that the new ecu came from. i have had to swap a ecu from a 05 sti to another 05.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts