IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just looking for some suggestions. I am trying to build very soon my STi to represent our shop. Now, this car won't be a daily driver but it will be registered. It won't be strictly for track or daily so high HP is something we want.

Now, I have been trying to see if I should go with the GT35R Kit or with the upcoming APS TSR70 kit. The TSR70 from what I hear is capable of 700+hp

The 35R is capable of 650+hp. Will going or waiting for the TSR70 be best instead of just getting the GT35R? Please let me know why you would think one is better than the other. I am fine with going GT35R but the TSR70 also sounds like a good setup.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I am waiting for the TSR70 to be released too. I wanted to go with a gt35r, but i have the aps twin scroll headers to that made it impossible, so with the aps twin scroll turbo, i can use my headers. I think this turbo is going to make almost the same power, but the tsr70 will most likely spool quicker. i cant wait to see what the turbo can do. good luck with your decision, i would pick the tsr70. :tup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blaiser,

Thanks for the reply. I am weighing on the TSR70 because of the quicker spool. I wonder is this is the only main difference vs. the 35. Hmmm...anyone else?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
well the the 35r is slightly smaller (65lb per min) compared to the TSR70 (70lb per min) so TECHNICALLY the TSR70 should produce more HP. Also, the TSR70 SHOULD (dont know yet, numbers arent released) produce a lot more low end toque because of it being twin scroll. hope that helps some.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Tsr70 Ftw! :)

Any realease dates yet?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am also waiting for the TSR70 from APS. This setup should produce some very nice numbers with good spool up. From what I have been able to find out the CHRA is a GT4088R with a different compressor cover.

I have heard that the release date is mid november.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately no one in the US has a TSR 70 yet so picking a turbo bassed on speculation is tough.
I say you call APS offer them a ton of money to send you the first one and promise to install, tune, dyno, and post everything the day you get it so we can all see what it does! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm...looks like you guys have faith on the new APS :)

So do I :)

I will be doing some research on this new setup. I guess we'll be leaning towards the TSR70

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
A GT40R is more comparible to the APS TSR70. Bloush (not sure if I spelt it right) was displaying GT40 and GT42R twin scrolls recently at the east coast scooby shootout. Of course, with these turbos you would need to fabricate your own uppipes, downpipes etc... Also purchase twin scroll headers. Might be worth it waiting for the APS TSR70.

·
Registered
76 Posts
this is like saying what car is faster the evo 12
or the 2012 sti

the tsr70 hasn't been released
its very hard to say what it will do just yet
might be the best turbo around, might be just another average large turbo

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
turbowrx06 said:
Dont they make twin scroll gt35rs?
Are they? I thought they weren't? If they are, I might as well go GT35R then...hmmm...can anyone verify?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm...looks like a GT35R would be best because the GT40R since being compared to the TSR70 has an A/R or .95 or higher. I don't think the engine would be capable spooling that sucker all that well.

To get better response and numbers I am going to say the GT35R would be my best bet as opposed to the TSR70 and GT404.

What would you guys think?

·
Registered
145 Posts
yea sounds good, but make sure to get the .83 a/r not the 1.06 because you will have a hard time spooling it wihtout a built block and meth.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have seen a couple turbos released in the Evo world that were supposed to do everything and failed. I would reserve judgement until several folks have had positive results with it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
H8rade said:
I have seen a couple turbos released in the Evo world that were supposed to do everything and failed. I would reserve judgement until several folks have had positive results with it.
I agree.

I'll stick with the .83 GT35R. We are trying to accomplish 600whp with proper build/fuel setup. Since 600whp is what we want then a GT35R should definately do the trick.

1 - 20 of 365 Posts