IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off, I want to thank Adam (Z1Auto) for making it all happen.

I spoke to him last friday and told him I needed a header for the install meet this sunday. He says its going to be tight, but possible. Then I tell him I want the coating vs. the new heat shield. He knew it would be close to impossible, but he assured me he would try his best to get everything to me.

Well here it all is. A week later at my door step, coated and nothing missing :)

Gave me the best price possible too!

Honestly the header is a work of art. Nothing to complain about. Look at the welds, they are amazing! Super smooth, youd have to see it in person to understand! There is a bung on each tube, all gaskets supplied, and even alittle extra heat wrap for the uppipe! :)

Well the install went some what smooth. Lots of time spent on stupid silly things like I got the nuts stuck to the studs on the uppipe. The uppipe is also very tight and the sensor gave me a bit of trouble. I had one friend helping, took us a solid 3-4 hours. The banjo bolt must have got loose when I used the breaker bar on the DP bolts. Oil was dripping out like a water fall and this got us worried till we figured out what it was.

Now after the sound. No its not like a honda, just sounds less "subaru" and more exotic. Its REALLY quiet, maybe its because its lost *most* of its rumble? Who knows, but I love it. Dont worry I will have pictures up.

The performance? :) Its wonderful. Tons of more mid-top end power. I did a few 60-100mph pulls with my stage 2 buddy. Before the header we did a few runs and we were neck to neck. So close that it alll matters who got the intial jump ahead and this would result in like a bumpers length win. Now I can jump ahead a cars length by the end of 4th. He said once I got into the higher gears I was pulling away.

Seems like now I spool up faster runs much faster through the gears. I was shifting about a second earlier then he was. By the end of the run I was a solid car length ahead of him, if not a tiny bit more. Please realize this has NOT been tuned for the header.

Fitment? PERFECT! What else would you expect for a part worth 1k? No issues with leaks or fitment, im very pleased.

A few videos to stop this silly "APS EL Header is ricey threads"

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Czar654321/Video/?action=view&current=Video8-22003.flv

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Czar654321/Video/?action=view&current=Video8-22006.flv

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Czar654321/Video/?action=view&current=Video005.flv

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Czar654321/Video/?action=view&current=Video011.flv

Any questions ? Just ask...

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
yea, def a thumbs up to the aps headers. i took esteaeye's car for a spin and yes, i does loose most of the boxer rumble but the new sound is awesome. it doesn't sound like a civic. you have to hear it in person to really get a good idea of the sound. it may not be for everyone because like i said, you do loose the boxer rumble, but imo you get a sound that is just as good in a different way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Could you have just made a video standing behind the car revving? so you could hear it better, not for me but for other peoples b!tching, I like how it sounds. Very nice by the way.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
ESsTeAEyEe said:
If you think it sounds like a honda, youd have to hear it in person.
It is probably a matter of perspective. For someone with a lot of experience with four cylinder engines, there is probbly some obvious difference. If, on the other hand, you have very little experience with four cylinders, and come from a history of driving V8 muscle cars ... it most definitely "sounds like a Honda."

I have heard equal length headers in person on my brother's 2006 STI (on the dyno, so I got a good sampling of sound from the full range) ... the tone is perhaps slightly deeper than a typical Honda, but overall that is exactly what it sounds like to me. I do not consider it a negative comment, just an accurate description. Whether it's good or bad depends on your point of view. I really, really miss the growl of my V8, so the upside of the unequal header design is that it makes a really deep bass note that, while it is nowhere even approaching V8 goodness, is more appealing to my ear than an inline four.

Just be glad nobody is comparing it to the sound an Evo makes. For such a great performing car, it sure makes a nasty wet farting sound through the exhaust. Still haven't heard one (other than bone stock) that I thought sounded appealing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Def not Honda sound

Rootus said:
It is probably a matter of perspective. For someone with a lot of experience with four cylinder engines, there is probbly some obvious difference. If, on the other hand, you have very little experience with four cylinders, and come from a history of driving V8 muscle cars ... it most definitely "sounds like a Honda."

I have heard equal length headers in person on my brother's 2006 STI (on the dyno, so I got a good sampling of sound from the full range) ... the tone is perhaps slightly deeper than a typical Honda, but overall that is exactly what it sounds like to me. I do not consider it a negative comment, just an accurate description. Whether it's good or bad depends on your point of view. I really, really miss the growl of my V8, so the upside of the unequal header design is that it makes a really deep bass note that, while it is nowhere even approaching V8 goodness, is more appealing to my ear than an inline four.

Just be glad nobody is comparing it to the sound an Evo makes. For such a great performing car, it sure makes a nasty wet farting sound through the exhaust. Still haven't heard one (other than bone stock) that I thought sounded appealing.
I come from a V8 background also (add in a cogged blower whistle :eek: ). Funny as I'm typing this, we live right alongside a rural 4 lane near Winchester VA and our windows rattle from ricer Honda's (just did, literally) and those STUPID, gas/diesel guzzling max cab pickups with aftermarket exhaust. Every mother's son has a melon launcher on everything from Honda's to flippin' stock Saturns :lol:

I think the sound is real nice, but hey, I'm still getting used to only have 1/2 the cylinders I did a year ago :(

Oh, got to change my sig, but the WORX tuning catback went on last night. I will have a write up and sound sound clips coming, but it has a nice sound. I need to take it out for a spin today.

·
3,274 Posts
ESsTeAEyEe said:
If you think it sounds like a honda, youd have to hear it in person.

Its far from that....
I was only joking about the sounding like a Honda... ;)

It does sound good, and at WOT reminds me a bit of how my Sport Muffler makes the car sound at WOT.

I still like the boxer rumble which is why I had to go with an un-equal length header. It'll still change the sound somewhat but not as much as the APS will. I guess I'm a ricer, I like the sound more than the extra HP the equal length pipes would give me. ;)

I guess I just need that down low, bowel shaking exhaust note the Subie gives me....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sound didn't factor into my decision to purchase the APS header at all...just the numbers ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
lovesmysuby said:
Could you have just made a video standing behind the car revving? so you could hear it better, not for me but for other peoples b!tching, I like how it sounds. Very nice by the way.
I too am interested in this until I am completely sold on EL's.

·
Registered
550 Posts
wow, didn't really expect that kinda sound out of EL headers. nice choice man.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds like it might be quieter, which is a good thing for me. Adds power, which is even better. Seems like a Win-Win.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
did you get re-tuned for the new headers?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts