IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been said already, but I can't emphasize enough what a pain it is to install the APS CAI on an 06.

I undertook this task last night and it took almost 3 hours to get everything seated properly. The intake pipe install was pretty smooth, but when I went to put on the GIANT filter, I couldn't push it onto the pipe since a fender clip was blocking the path. So I had to loosen all the brackets and wiggle the pipe downward to first tighten down the filter, then go back to the intake pipe and move it all around until I got it to align with the brackets. My arms are sore, but the intake is finally on and it sounds great!!! Definitely worth the 3 hour sweat fest.

I've got a protune appointment today with Harman Motive for a daily driven 95 octane map, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lol

Same deal,
My appointment is tomorrow 10AM. And I still never got my filter on completely.
When is your appointment?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boataholic said:
Same deal,
My appointment is tomorrow 10AM. And I still never got my filter on completely.
When is your appointment?
Did you get the "giant" filter too? I was really suprised when I took my filter out of the packaging to find out it was much larger than most of the pictures I've seen on this forum. Wonder why they started including a larger filter?

I'm pretty excited about my protune today...leaving work early to get it done. You must be totally excited too considering it's your first protune.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
06stiman said:
I know it's been said already, but I can't emphasize enough what a pain it is to install the APS CAI on an 06.

I undertook this task last night and it took almost 3 hours to get everything seated properly. The intake pipe install was pretty smooth, but when I went to put on the GIANT filter, I couldn't push it onto the pipe since a fender clip was blocking the path. So I had to loosen all the brackets and wiggle the pipe downward to first tighten down the filter, then go back to the intake pipe and move it all around until I got it to align with the brackets. My arms are sore, but the intake is finally on and it sounds great!!! Definitely worth the 3 hour sweat fest.

I've got a protune appointment today with Harman Motive for a daily driven 95 octane map, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

im pretty sure it wont be any better than Doug's. let us know.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Same for you...
Tell me what to expect. I'm super stoked. Yeah that filter was huge. Really long huh. Did you manage to get it on all the way? I'm going PM APS and let them know. What maps are you getting?

06stiman said:
Did you get the "giant" filter too? I was really suprised when I took my filter out of the packaging to find out it was much larger than most of the pictures I've seen on this forum. Wonder why they started including a larger filter?

I'm pretty excited about my protune today...leaving work early to get it done. You must be totally excited too considering it's your first protune.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where do you get 95??

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boataholic said:
Where do you get 95??
I'm located in Woodland Hills in the SFV, so I've got a couple of options for the high octane fuel. The Unocal 76 station in Agoura Hills (off Chesebro exit on 101 Fwy) sells 100 octane unleaded, and the Alliance station in Canoga Park (corner of De Soto and Vanowen) sells 101 octane unleaded. I've made it a habit to go to one of these stations every time I fill up and get 1/2 100 octane, 1/2 91 to mix to an overall 95.5 octane. The car seems to respond really well to this mixture.

I actually dynoed at Harman last week to see what my Doug map would pull on their dyno, and I ended up with 295whp/335 wtrq.This was with 95 octane in the tank, so I'm thinking if Dan tunes me for the 95 (Doug tuned me for 93), then I can squeeze a bit more power out of her. I also now have the APS CAI which I didn't for Doug's tune, so I'm expecting more top-end power this time around.

Considering your mods combined with 91 octane, I think you'll end up somewhere around 285whp/320wtrq. Let Dan tune you for some 95 octane as well and I'll bet you can reach 300whp/340trq.:tup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I shaved that clip off with a dremel. I also had to widen the opening in the fender well to get the pipe through.

The filter will only go on ****-eyed with the DR525 intercooler cold pipe in the way.

Also, my filter didn't come oiled and I didn't notice int untill 3500 miles later when I went to clean it.

Other than that, nice piece.

·
Registered
162 Posts
... yea normal, but why design it that way? my filter won't go on straight becasue the ic piping is in the way

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
I had to file down the clip as well to get the filter to fit. That was the crappiest part of the install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.