IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that sounds really stupid. Every now and again, it just seems slightly(ever so slightly) harder to throw the car into gear. My clutch feels fine. The car has under 8500 miles on it. The car runs like a top(knocks on wood). I've been driving stick for well over a decade. I've very rarely missed a shift or "ground the gears". Maybe its just in my head, or I am not throwing the clutch in like i should. I am just asking out of curiousity more than anything. Thanks. I have the stock "throw" on there, BTW.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Usually on cold days with the car not warmed up the car is a pain to shift. I also feel harder shifts sometimes when driving and I think that is due to the way you shift. Sometimes you use less force, sometimes more, and there are tolerances in the lever that can make it seem harder. Short shifters usually do that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do you like it(sti)? I'll tell you...its been the happiest 8400 miles I have ever put on a car. I noticed this "problem" more in the winter. I noticed tonight after I stopped to talk to a friend, after an idle of about 2 minutes. I figured i would inquire about it here, to see if I am not the only one.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
When it gets cold, the tranny gets really finicky. During winter (20's and 30's), mine was so bad, I couldn't get it out of gear once I got it in. Once it warms up it's fine, but when it dips into the 40's and below, it starts to get kind of rough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only "hard" shifting I have ever had was due to the slop in the shifter. It was like I was just hitting the gate enough to get it into gear. After about 10k miles it would happen to me a lot, then I installed the Kartboy bushings along with the TIC bushings and it slots home with little effort every time. I don't know if this is what you guys have going on but I thought I would just share my experience.

Fess

·
Registered
582 Posts
I only have trouble from 1-2 when it is cold. 3rd will slot fine. Sometimes, if I don't nail the first 1-2 shift, I have to either stop and try 1st-2nd again or try to keep going by slipping the clutch a little in 3rd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.