IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can't seem to find people with the problems in the GR section, but I've took my car to my Subaru dealer, and they said they need 2.5 hours to take it apart then to fix it, I've also heard people saying that it can't be fixed. It gives me 'unsmooth' release of the pedal forcing stalls.

I thought it would just be a basic grease on for the squeak to go away, but it isn't? has anyone pay attention to their clutch pedal? you would see a BLOB of yellow grease/lubricant on the pedals, maybe it's a problem they often have so they have that MUCH amount of it on?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, i've already took a look at the page :)

Just got back from subaru, and they said because i changed to dot4 fluid, (ATE super blue) so it creates the squeaky sound..
and they said the fluid is corrosive, and could be eating the parts inside, so there is nothing they can do to fix it.. unless they order parts in to replace it.

is it true though? DOT3 is what they recommend, but dot4 is thicker therefore puts stress on the pedal, or even corrosive?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think the fluid got to do with the noise.

This is what I did to fix mine.

Remove the Intercooler (really easy). You need someone to pull the fork towards the front of the car so you can remove the pivot be careful removing the rubber you dont want to break it. (see diagram part #4), once removed grease both ends.

http://www.autopartslib.com/wp-conte...s-Assembly.png

http://www.autopartslib.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Subaru-Impreza-Clutch-System-and-Clutch-Disc-Components-Parts-Assembly.png

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mine does it with stock fluids and line.
They stated it was normal. (Since it was an intermittent occurrence) I doubt this is the case because none of my previous Subarus or others I have driven feel like this.
Feels rough, especially when warmed up.
If it gets worse it's going back in.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
WilliamG experienced mad squeaking when he went to Super Blue...and once he changed it back the sqeaking went away.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't think the fluid got to do with the noise.

This is what I did to fix mine.

Remove the Intercooler (really easy). You need someone to pull the fork towards the front of the car so you can remove the pivot be careful removing the rubber you dont want to break it. (see diagram part #4), once removed grease both ends.

http://www.autopartslib.com/wp-conte...s-Assembly.png
Can you please re-post the link? It's not complete. Thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
had the squeaking clutch pedal, took it to dealer under warranty and they said they needed to change the pressure plate. who am i to argue? :) The squeak went away.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
had the squeaking clutch pedal, took it to dealer under warranty and they said they needed to change the pressure plate. who am i to argue? :) The squeak went away.

they said because i changed different brake fluid, it will not be under warranty..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
so it could be the oil? because it didn't have it.. until i changed to super blue.
Yes.

I am willing to bet if you change back to DOT 3 fluid you won't have that squeak.

It's the exact same thing WilliamG experienced...you could probably find his post on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes.

I am willing to bet if you change back to DOT 3 fluid you won't have that squeak.

It's the exact same thing WilliamG experienced...you could probably find his post on it.
Oh okay, thanks!!!!
one question.. besides it's thickness/viscosity..between dot 3 and dot 4... what else do you think might create the squeak? does dot4 have something inside that might eat(corrosive) the parts away?
the Subaru guys keep telling me they do.... -____________-

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Mine Squeaks, so did my previous car. If you pull the rubber boot where the hydraulic shift line runs into the trans (dont know what it looks like on the subaru yet, but on the previous car it was a rectangular boot on the bottom of the bell housing) and spray some silicone or something in there on the pivot for the clutch fork it should stop. You get a little moisture in there and presto-rusto....squeak squeak squeak

Could also be pressure plate in which case deal with it or get ready to spend some time and money :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look up at you clutch pedal assembly. There is an arm that goes from the top of your clutch pedal along the brake and gas pedal and enters the firewall on top of the gas pedal. When you pump the clutch you will see the arm move a cylinder on top of the Gas pedal. White lithium grease the pivots and the cylinder and pump the clutch. No more noise for me!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I hear squeaking but its not loud. I hear its from dirt stuck in there and can be fixed by cleaning and lubing... adding lube wont do it since the crap is still there.

·
Registered
923 Posts
These cars have very loud mechanical systems, but they work well. You have an STi, not a BMW.

My 6 month old clutch squakes intermittently. It's just the system. If it starts to bind or gets worse in a very short amount of time, then worry. OTherwise it's normal operation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi all,

Can't seem to find people with the problems in the GR section, but I've took my car to my Subaru dealer, and they said they need 2.5 hours to take it apart then to fix it, I've also heard people saying that it can't be fixed. It gives me 'unsmooth' release of the pedal forcing stalls.

I thought it would just be a basic grease on for the squeak to go away, but it isn't? has anyone pay attention to their clutch pedal? you would see a BLOB of yellow grease/lubricant on the pedals, maybe it's a problem they often have so they have that MUCH amount of it on?

Thanks in advance!!
Clutch pedal noise 04 WRX STi Fix - YouTube

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!!
/literally just finished fixing mine, i have a 2000 outback but i believe it should be the same procedure. Take off your air filter with the box, unplug all hoses and unplug air sensor plug. Remove hose clamp and take off remaining part of air box from your throttle body. Now you have a CLEAR view of the problem. Now you should be looking at the clutch cylinder, in front of it on the engine or tranny there should be a rubber boot thing, looks kind of like a shift boot, mine was all cracked and dried out, remove that by sliding it up. Now there is a hole where the lever goes to the throw out bearing (i think) that was covered by that rubber boot, spray some wd40 in there or get in it with a flashlight and a grease gun, problem gone, shifts a lot smoother and is easier to push down on the clutch. In fact it feels so smooth that i wasn't shifting as well because I'm so used to having to let out the clutch so slow due to the fact that it was never that smooth. Hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts