IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the article and it sounds great. Has anyone used it though. I have my car tuned from Doug at topspeed for a reg driving map but also a race map that has to at least have a 104 OCT rating. Give me some feed back on this please:tup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
its been impossible to find locally, else I would. Paint stores don't appear to carry it any more. Do you have a source?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toulene

Look on the article in the performance thread. that is how its spelled. I is actually spelled both ways on here.:notsure: As far as location, I just call sherman williams for it and they had it for $50 for a 5 gal pail.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toluene

Thank you for the info, reading some articles on it. By itself is it rated at 114. I ask this becuase if I run 92 (midwest s**t, ask doug) and put in toluene then will I end up with my 104 octane rating?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toluene

OK, i anwsered my own question, but I am unable to find what the safest amount i can use in my car per fillup. Any have the awnser to this one?

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
scoobster said:
Look on the article in the performance thread. that is how its spelled. I is actually spelled both ways on here.:notsure: As far as location, I just call sherman williams for it and they had it for $50 for a 5 gal pail.
$50 bucks for 5 gallons? Sounds cheaper to just purchase real race gas... unless your paying over $10 dollars per gallon. :eek:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
toluene

Problem with that is that getting race gas is only an option when the track is open. three days a week, 4 hours at a time and I am usually at work. they close in the winter.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I use it quite a bit.
Luckily I have a business account with Sherwin Williams, which is the only local paint shop I've found that consistently carries it, because the stuff can add up quick. Without the business discount it's $19.99 a gallon. With the discount I can get 2 gallons for $24 even.

Try mixing in 3 gallons of Toluene and a few ounces of "Marvel Mystery oil" (can be found at nearly any auto parts store) for lubrication to 3/4 a tank of your normal gas (93/91).
It's a good idea to reset the ECU and then go romp on it on the highway in 4th & 5th for a little bit.

*Just a FYI, most bigger chain hardware stores, like Home Depot and Lowes, aren't allowed to carry Toluene so it may be tough to consistently get it.

*Oh, and use gloves :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
pt518sti said:
I use it quite a bit.
Luckily I have a business account with Sherwin Williams, which is the only local paint shop I've found that consistently carries it, because the stuff can add up quick. Without the business discount it's $19.99 a gallon. With the discount I can get 2 gallons for $24 even.

Try mixing in 3 gallons of Toluene and a few ounces of "Marvel Mystery oil" (can be found at nearly any auto parts store) for lubrication to 3/4 a tank of your normal gas (93/91).
It's a good idea to reset the ECU and then go romp on it on the highway in 4th & 5th for a little bit.

*Just a FYI, most bigger chain hardware stores, like Home Depot and Lowes, aren't allowed to carry Toluene so it may be tough to consistently get it.

*Oh, and use gloves :lol:
Interesting... any more information on this "Marvel Mystery Oil"?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
Interesting... any more information on this "Marvel Mystery Oil"?
http://www.autobarn.net/chmm012.html

It's cheap and will last a long time because you only need a few ounces at a time and is carried at almost any auto zone/pep boys/advanced auto. I only use about 5 ounces for 3 gallons of Toluene. I just pour the Toluene in a big gas can and then pour a tiny bit of the Marvel Mystery Oil in there and swish it around a little before I pour it in my tank.

Most DIY race gas formulas say to use a few ounces for lubrication because the Toluene is a little harsh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts