IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these pads yet? I need some quiet, affordable pads. The stockers were OK, but they're too pricey. I have Cobb pads now, but they're SO annoying. Suggestions/feedback would be appreciated :tup:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've used a set of R4's now for about a year - they work great on the street, good bite, good fade resistance, and are still acceptable in very cold weather though they bite a hell of lot better after you've warmed 'em up. I have not tracked them hard, but they do much better than stock when hot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you're looking for street pads, don't get the R4. The R4S is Porterfields street pad. IMO, the best street pad is the Hawk HPS.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
I have to step in here. I make a really really strong effort to keep my mouth shut about other folks products that I don't like, but Porterfield, in my opinion, is worse than having a hemorrhoid when you've had really spice curry.

The quality of their products is inconsistant, the R4S will rip the crap out of your rotors, they will easily overheat, and get worse and worse over time - getting to the point that just trying to get home during rush hour becomes seriously unsafe.

Oh, and if that's not enough, their customer service was by far some of the worst I have ever ever experienced, and that was talking to one of their "service" reps face to face at JGTC.

My R4S's came off after 3 months, and what was left of the stockers went back on while I waited for my first set of bobcat's to arrive. They were so bad I was willing to risk running the backing plates on the very worn stockers into my rotors instead of running those pieces of junk. Not that it would have mattered. They grooved the rotors SO bad in that 3 months that those were basically shot anyway.

In other words - there are MUCH MUCH better pads out there for the money you're going to spend. Here's some names that come to mind - just about everyone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I too had bad luck with Porterfields. They make excessive noise (I kinda liked it though, sounds like jet engine winding down), they need a couple stops to get up to their best operation (still not that great) and they don't last as long as stock pads at the track. I went from 3/4's thickness on my fronts down to metal on metal in not even one full track day at a road course. On the same road course my stock pads only showed minimal wear after a full day of lapping. They lasted only a few months before my meltdown at the track (it sucks driving 2 hours home withouth ANY front brake pads!)

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I have had good luck with Porterfield. They had good bite, little noise, and little brake dust. MY dad bought a set for his RS and likes them, and has also used them on the Porsche for some track days.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
docwyte said:
If you're looking for street pads, don't get the R4. The R4S is Porterfields street pad. IMO, the best street pad is the Hawk HPS.
The "S" has steel shavings in the pad for increased heat range - in this regard, TIC's comment is quite correct: they are NOT rotor friendly, and I've heard this complaint from others too.

Again, I've had good luck with the "R4": 15K miles, some serious, hard, repeated braking, and there is still over 50% left on the front, more on the rear. I'd buy 'em again, but it would appear that is no longer an option. I just took a look at their web-site and it seems the line has changed since I purchased my pads 1.5 years ago. The R4 is now listed as a "competition" pad, whereas before it was purely a "street/light track" pad - this makes me think they have changed the compounds, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Turninconcepts - what do you like?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I had them on my Typhoon and wasn't very impressed with them either. I has horrible wear. I took them off just after 10K on them and they were almost toast.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Flycaster said:
The "S" has steel shavings in the pad for increased heat range - in this regard, TIC's comment is quite correct: they are NOT rotor friendly, and I've heard this complaint from others too.

Again, I've had good luck with the "R4": 15K miles, some serious, hard, repeated braking, and there is still over 50% left on the front, more on the rear. I'd buy 'em again, but it would appear that is no longer an option. I just took a look at their web-site and it seems the line has changed since I purchased my pads 1.5 years ago. The R4 is now listed as a "competition" pad, whereas before it was purely a "street/light track" pad - this makes me think they have changed the compounds, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Turninconcepts - what do you like?
I have been happy with both the carbotech and the hawk products to date. I've also had the opportunity to try out a car with Pagid ds2500's on them and they felt good. I can't give an overall impression though as that would take more time on those pads than I had a chance to do.

As of this very moment in time I'm running HP+ on the STi. They're noisey, the make a ton of dust, but they do what's important to me - they stop well. As for rotor wear - these have been running the HP+ since last march and while the rotors are a little grooved it's not anywhere near as bad as the 3 months I had those porterfields on.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Turninconcepts.com said:
I have been happy with both the carbotech and the hawk products to date. I've also had the opportunity to try out a car with Pagid ds2500's on them and they felt good. I can't give an overall impression though as that would take more time on those pads than I had a chance to do.

As of this very moment in time I'm running HP+ on the STi. They're noisey, the make a ton of dust, but they do what's important to me - they stop well. As for rotor wear - these have been running the HP+ since last march and while the rotors are a little grooved it's not anywhere near as bad as the 3 months I had those porterfields on.
Great info - thanks a lot. The noise with the HP+ pad - is it cold squeal, or do they just make a lot of rub noise?

As for dust, there is no solution. Clean the wheels a couple of times a year, pay no attention in between, and just enjoy the damn car. That's my $0.02 on the subject.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was really happy with my set of R4S's. They were able to take a pretty good beating on the track and bit when cold on the street and were fairly quiet. My friend runs the R4's with his Stoptech setup and loves them. I recently switched over to the EBC Reds because of availability and cost and I am very happy with those on and off the track.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Flycaster said:
Great info - thanks a lot. The noise with the HP+ pad - is it cold squeal, or do they just make a lot of rub noise?

As for dust, there is no solution. Clean the wheels a couple of times a year, pay no attention in between, and just enjoy the damn car. That's my $0.02 on the subject.
When I mean noisey, I mean it. I've started playing with playing tunes with them when i'm coming to a slow stop in traffic. :lol: And the dust!! OH man!! The dust!! i guess it would bother me if I ever washed my car, but every time I wash it I get a speeding ticket. If they're that bad with noise and dust why run them? Simple - They're streetable (at least for me), and man do they stop! Seriously, I have to threshold brake these or the ABS kicks in even on the Azenis 615's. There's too much stop for the stick, but if you can threshold brake these are saweet!! About the only other way to get these to brake better on the street is to go to R compounds which ain't gonna happen on the street.

The BEST combo of quiet, low dust, and stopping power I've found was the carbotech bobcats. They were noisey until I got them really hot the first time. After that they were nice and super quiet.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Its normal when you hear your stock pads right? I only hear it with the windows up and the radio off.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i just bought 2 sets of pads, R4S for the street and R4 for the track from girodisc. They are the most common pad combo they sell for ferrari and evo's and he recommended them over pagids and ferrodo's for use with their rotors. He said pagid and ferrodo are great as well. Porterfields were more in my price range though.

The r4s seem great on the street. no noise at all. which is what i was looking for. I bought that and the r4 to not have to switch compound type (carbon kevlar) when i go to the track. I have tried cobb race and street, satisfied pro, and pagid blues. all of which felt great, but couldnt stand how much noise after 3 years.

I am equally happy with these. I am also using titanium shims that i purchased as well.

The blues in combination with satisfieds on the street was terrible. Even with spending a good time sanding before putting the different pads in it always squeeked horribly nomatter what pad was in. Both pads stopped great for the purpose of what i was usign them for, but it lead to serious vibration issues.

Stoptech bed in procedures in all pads of course.

350z buddy of mine loved the r4s on the street, but after a track day they broke into pieces. Lesson learned, dont use street pads on the track.

turnin - ds2500's are from ferrodo not pagid correct?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
TR11 said:
i just bought 2 sets of pads, R4S for the street and R4 for the track from girodisc.
OK, then they've definitely changed the compounds since I purchased mine. That being the case, disregard my use of the term "R4" since it is clear that is now a "competition" pad. Confusing, to say the least...

·
Registered
597 Posts
no problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I second the "R4S not-so-bueno" vote. Same issues as stated above: easy to overheat, non-linear wear, gone in one track day, hard on the rotors. I even tried another set to make sure I didn't get a defective set the first time. 2nd set sucked too.

I also second the "HP+ pretty cool" vote. Loud, but wonderful stopping on the street. Can take track days (read: they actually last MULTIPLE track days), and can take the heat (I have brake ducts (thanx Myles!)). Not a complete Track Pad, but for a daily driver pad they do juuuuuuust fiiiiiiiine out there.

Search and you will find info re track vs daily driver pads, but I say never, ever again with the R4S. The HP+ is a much better road/track compromise pad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts