IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Product is J&S Safegaurd http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html and I read about it in How to tune and modify engine magement be Jeff Hartman. It seems like a pretty good product allowing you to modify individual cylinder timing. Just wanted to know if anyone else had read about it and considered using it or if anyone was currently using it and what there impressions were.:)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Alot of the EU guys use it. Some people have seen ~20whp from individual timing adjustments. IMO not really worth the money anymore unless you are going really big in the HP. Since other EM has so many more features for ~ the same price.

TMS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What other EM are offering more for arond the same price? It's $500 I have not seen anything else that offers individual timing for each cylinder for this price. What other solutions offer this feature and more for a resonable price?:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
What I meant was the J&S only does ingnition. For $500 you could get a used utec that will do ing, fuel, and boost.
Or for $90 you could do openecu and full tuning of the stock ecu.
IMO $500 is not worth just timing control on a mildly built subaru.

TMS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure you understand exactly what this is. Safeguard is individual cylinder ingnition compensation. Which will allow you to have a safer or more knife edge tune. Either way I haven't seen anything else that allows this. Hydra allows individual cylinder calibrations for injectors but not timing or else this would be the sure bet. The point is for maximum power which will also be safe power you need individual cylinder timing AND injector control. I use enginuity it does not allow either of these things. If Utec does then I am woefully uninformed :D But I have never been too intrested in piggybacks. I truly respect your opinions TMS from what I have read you have a good understanding about whats going on in our engines:bow: . I would love the opportunity to meet up with you and discuss some things :) .
Thanks for responding

Derek Murray

·
Registered
601 Posts
The J&S has been around a very long time. They were availible before the WRX came to the states. I have read about extensivily and talked to people that have used them. They are very nice and are great when you are going for the last 3-5%.
So youbuy this for ing control what are you going to use for fuel? SAFC?
OK now you need boost control, AVCR?

So
J&S=$500
AVCR=$450
SAFC=$350
EM=$1300

You could go stand alone for that.

TMS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I belive the equation is more like this
Enginuity (Tuning solution) Free
Delta dash (Logging solution) Used $75
Ecuflash (Flashing) Free
Perrin E.B.C.S (Boost control) Used $75
J&S Safeguard (Push to the edge or extra safety margin) $500
Wideband O2 $200-500 depending on choice

Am I missing something? Optimizing individual cylinders seems from the reading I have done one of the greatest safety measures as well as getting extra power. Sure 500 is pricey but there are few mods which give you safety and power. The only other similar cost similar value product that comes to mind is water/meth injection but most people will not be able to tune something like this themselves. Which means it will most likely come out hundreds of dollars more expensive and still not give you the extensive knock protection J&S will give you.

Derek Murray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts