IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing 100-105% idc's and ~11.7-11.8 afr 4500-6000rpm which I can't really control, needless to say it's undesirable and prohibits the clean timing I want to run, has anyone been able to get some headroom back by just installing the pump?

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
i believe scott at sog did a test on this and said an upgraded pump lowered the IDCs....but others have said an upgraded pump does nothing because it's the FPR that is suppose to change that....so who knows.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I put in my Walbro 255 my IDC went from high 90s to low 90s at WOT.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nhluhr said:
It all depends on whether your stock pump can maintain full fuel pressure at redline. Some can't.

It's an $80 mod that has the potential to save you a lot of time/money (if you have to schedule a second tuning appointment).
well it's retuned and retuned actively, however now that we're going for the gold with the VF39 keeping a 11.0:1 AFR past 4800rpm is just not possible, it's either drop the boost (which is increasing airflow) or provide more fuel, hoping to make that happen with a pump vs. injectors/pump or relaxing the boost

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
When I was tuned, I was told that my car required a fuel pump in order to be tuned correctly. I'm not sure if it is a car to car basis, but this occurred in my situation as it was running on the lean side during the Pro-tune.

Tim (Wolfplayer) has said that a Fuel pump has no significant effects for a Stage 2 STi.

Thread: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41059&highlight=Fuel

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I agree with WolfPlayer on everything, I also see Scott's point... Jeff/Turboqueef on this board runs the same exact parts I do targetting the same exact afr's/timing/airflow... however his car has no problem keeping the IDC's 95-96% on a day where mine would be 105-108%... he can even get his 5000-6000 region into the 10s if he wants, which just isn't possible with mine...

so it sounds like to me every car is different and wolfplayer may have had a stock fuel system that faired better as jeff's does... they are both 05's, mine's an 04... but until i log some more 05s i won't be able to say for sure how you narrow it down

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I could do the same on my stock pump as well.In never saw 100% idc's even running into the 10's at 15 psi @ redline. Another alternative is WI where I am pushing 16psi @ redline and only hitting 80% IDC's ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts